I wish people would read the label

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Remi, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Remi

Remi New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Went to the local sportsman's the other day, and as soon as I get out of the truck the stench of dead fish hits me. Get down to the pond and there were dead fish everywhere. I guess during those days that the heat index hit 107 the caretakers decided that there was to much algae and that they were going to apply a chemical that the label says to apply only between the temps of 60-80. There were quite a few of these future catches laying around, but this was one of the biggest. Who knows how many others like this or bigger they killed!

2. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    couldn't view the pic

3. Remi

Remi New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Let me try that again.

Attached Files:

4. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What a shame. I would be all over that guy

5. Remi

Remi New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I hope some of his relatives make it thru being poisoned by the local caretaker. It was funny my 7 year old walked down the bank and said "what the hell did they do to all fish:angry: " my thoughts exactly.

6. BigGreen

BigGreen New Member

State:
    IL
    That is a sad site.:sad2:

7. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    It is awful that people have no more sense than that. The damage that they have done could take years to repair.

8. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    that is a crying shame

9. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    that's a terrible sight..........was there a nice flathead population in this lake? do you think any survived?

10. Remi

Remi New Member

State:
    Illinois
    There were quite a few cats belly up when I was there, probably 5 or better that were close to the size of this one. There was a ton of shad and dead carp. I guess there is a few 20' or better spots in the pond so I am hoping that some of the catfish went low and stayed low although I doubt it. The just stocked it in April with 3500 lbs and then a additional 1500 lbs of fish July 15th, so yeah, whatta waste. I figure I'll go test it next weekend to see if anything bites.

11. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    Why are idiots always in charge of our natural rescources?
    It is not just the fish that were killed, but the future generations they may have spawned. What a shame.

12. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    OMG what is wrong with ppl these days..... i go to the river and see huge carp and perch on the bank i mean there a pain but if they lived that long to get that big just trow em back

13. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thats a sad thing. people REALLY should read the label. is there anything left alive in there?

14. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    man those ppl need to be shot for doing things like that and just think these ppl work for the STATE.....so you know you tax dollars are hard at work here in IL

15. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    idiots, thats all i can say...... chemicals and fish is like a drunk swimmer

16. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    {Stupid people should have to wear a sign around there neck saying I'm stupid then we would all know to watch out for them.}

17. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think the label signs actually say "I'm NOT stupid." Therefore, I assume that anyone not wearing a sign is ...

You get the idea.

18. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Problem is that a lot of people don't seem to remember that dead stuff uses up a bunch of oxygen (because of the bacterial decomposition).

The algae or weeds that the guy killed started rotting and ate up all the oxygen in the lake.

A number of years back the power folks at Santee Cooper cleaned the intake grates for the water that flows through one of the power plants and then into the Rediverson canal. They chopped up probably tons of weeds and flushed them through into the canal and then shut down the water. This was in the heat of summer just like now. As those chopped dead weeds rotted they caused a fishkill in the Santee Cooper Redivirsion canal. I have heard stories that during the cleanup they were taking out truckloads of dead fish (shad, catfish, stripers, etc) for days.