I Wish I Coulda Seen Him!

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by channelcat_tracker, Aug 28, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey guys yesterday, I HAD THE BIGGEST FISH ON MY LINE EVER! no lie. if i could scan pictures i would show you what happened. what happend was i went to a local pond hazle lake, and caught small shad. i cut out a 1 square inch shad put it on my treble hook and threw out. now this spot holds flatties. i caught a 3 and an 8 pounder from that spot in swan slu. now i catch LOTS of channel catfish their. and i saw small taps on my pole about 4 to 5 inches moving on the tip. then i set the hook. knowing it was probably a 4 pound channel. WRONG! man he almost ripped the pole outta my hand. but i kept reeling in with about 30 pound monofiliament line on a 6' 6" quantum rod with a baitcasting open mouth reel. so i got three cranks in it then SNAP! my rod broke right in half. this rod is medium action. perfect for fish less than 30 or so pounds. and its not FLEXIBLE or STIFF its moderate flexible. good for catfishing. so i got in another 6 cranks and saw one BIG splash. making waves. bout this time, ppl in their yards came down to see the ruckus. ppl in boats passing by stopped to watch. they said it was either a big flattie or a BIG CHANNELCAT! so anyways. i get those cranks in and then SNAP again, the stiffer part of my rod was broke off. now i got a pole in three pieces and then SNAP! my line snaps from the sharp edges of the snapped pole. and i sat their with three pieces in my hand. a broken heart and disappointed ppl that made me feel embarrased! well im not over that YET!:lol: :lol: but ok guys i need some advice now!

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd get me a rhino Rod and get a good reel,Put some braid on and then use big game mono for the leader.Hope that helps!!---------pk powell:smile2:

3. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Sorry to hear that. I would also go with a Rhino or an Ugly Stick, with big game line. Hope you go back and catch that fish so that we all can see you trophy. Good Luck

4. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Sounds like alot of fun, where is this swan slu? LOL I would get a ugly stik and some braided line and go after it again. Maybe even try and get a "heavy" action rod

5. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    you dont know where it is???? and your only a good 30 minutes AWAY! its the only boat docks that you can dock in and out of in camanche ia. right on the beginning of camanche. on washington bulevarde!

6. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    No i didn't know where it was but now i do. i don't get up there, I fish down in muscatine pool and then the cedar by moscow(when it has water in it) and a few farm ponds around this area. you plan on coming down to the gathering?

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I don't know what kind of equipment you use but you need a reel that has a good drag system and a lot less pressure on your rod. On a big fish you just supply steady pressure and let him go where he wants, except near snags, until he is wore down a little. If you force him to bend to your will you'll end up with a broken rod and snapped line... Ooops!

It's OK, it is a learning experience. Welcome to the world of big cats!

8. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    nope sorry. parents found the location and date. they dont want to go their with that big of crowd. in a few years after im out of college, i plan to go to the gathering though!:smile2: :smile2: