I went and done it, I bought some circle hooks.

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Love Them Cats, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    The only size I could find around here was 3.0, but I thought it would give me a chance to try them out and see how I like them?

Any tips for using circles?

I know you don't set the hook like you do regular hooks, you just reel it in when you get a fish on?

One question I have is when do you know you have one hooked?

Lately, the cats have been biting so lightly, you can hardly tell when you get a bite?
    They don't even bite hard enough to bend the pole, I just have to watch my lines?
    Most of the time, I don't know one is even hooked until I reel it in to check my bait?

Ken

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    3/0 is awefully small circle hook...You will know when you have a fish on, the rod will be loaded up, then just pull back on the rod and start reeling.

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I agree with flathunter, about the size of hook you are using. You might want to check out the libary, there is some good info in there about using circle hooks. I had to experiment with different size hooks and baits to figure out what worked best for me. I do not use circle hooks in all fishing situations. For instance when i know ill be catching a lot of small cats, i use a j hook on one pole, and a circle hook with a large bait on another. the thing you have to remember is different conditions call for dirrerent tackle. Circle hooks work great, if the fish are big enough to load up your pole, If not youve got to change your tactics. Just be patient and try different meathods, till you find what works best for you. Good luck on the water brother. Hope this has helped.

4. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Alot of people here don't like circle hooks, and you will probably like them even less fishing with the 3/0's. This is looking at it from a bait perspective. Even a piece of shrimp will overwhelm that size hook fairly easy, so you might want to consider going up in size, so you can get the full appreciation of what the hook can do in relation to the bait. This is not saying the hook won't hold good size fish, but the other variables are going to put you at a disadvantage from experiencing consistent hooksets. I fish with 8/0's, and don't have problems catching channel cats as small as a pound or two. Plus, you can use one or two pieces of shrimp, live bait, and fairly sizable cutbait as well. The disadvantage of the larger sizes is using worms or stinkbait. Regarding hooksets, you have to be patient and let the fish make a commitment to eating the bait, then you reel the line in quickly. When you feel the tug set the hook deeper. When I can get them to bite this is what works for me with circle hooks. Good luck in your quest...

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Circle hooks are about the only hooks I'm using right now. These guys are right about hook size, 3/0 is extremely small. I use 7/0 & 8/0, and even the smaller fish will get these hooks in their mouth.

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm with you Doug, I use the 7/0's & 8/0's also. I have proven to many of my friends that the eater size fish CAN & WILL get those hooks in their mouths

7. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Ken, you may as well of just thrown your money in the street! lol

egg

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good Luck with them.I've never tried them,probably won't because I like setting the hook too much.

9. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    6/0 is the smallest I use

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i'LL BE tHE odd duck and say go ahead and use them I dont think their too small for eaters. I use 3/0 4/0 with some chunks of chicken small cut baits or worms when I know there is alot of smaller fish around.:cool2:

11. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm flat out lazy so bait clickers and circles is a great combo for me it seems as though I'm always doing something eles when the fish bites anyways