I was told these are speckled catfish ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by richard dunbar, Nov 20, 2006.

1. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I was told these are speckled cats. Can anyone confirm that or know these by another name.

Attached Files:

2. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    this looks like a white cat from the ones i have seen in pictures.

3. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Interesting coloration. Wish I could see more of the fish, especially the tailfin. Looks more like channel over a bullhead. Anyone else with more experience?

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I think its a channel cat with unusual markings. Blotches instead of spots?

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I Beleave its a flathead:confused2:

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Definitely NOT a Channel Cat. And almost positive not a Flathead.

It's eithier a White Catfish or Bullhead, possibly a Black Bullhead.

7. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Looks like a cross between a flathead & a channel cat with unusual markings.

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i would like to see more pics , but it looks like a flathead to me . i need pics from the front and of the tail .
    flatheads in different areas look different , they come in a variety of colors and patterns

speckled cats here are usually young channels also called fiddlers

9. richard dunbar

State:
    Washington
    Try this angle only other pic i have. let me try this again pic didnt post

10. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I am not mistaken, that is a Spotted Bullhead (Ameiurus serracanthus) AKA - "Speckled Cat" locally down in Georgia and Florida.

If that is a photo from you area, that is what that fish would be. Typically they do not grow more than a foot in length and weigh about a pound or two.

That said, I am only going by what is in that photo and it shows elongated barbels on the face, and longish dorsal fin. The coloration is also as I remember them being down there.

It would be better to have a more complete photo to make a positive ID. But given what there is in the photo, I say it is the Spotted Bullhead.

11. richard dunbar

State:
    Washington
    lets try it again. Oh I quit i guess i'll have to get my daughter to do it tomarrow

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Does the lower jaw protrude past the top part? If so ya got some sort of an oddly marked flathead. I can tell ya it ain't a white cat. I've caught many of them. LOL!

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First thing I thought of was a flathead.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I thinks thats A Southern Brown Bullhead Or Spotted Bullhead. But I know its a bullhead aint no doubt in my mind it aint.

15. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    looks like a flathead to me.

16. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    it's a flathead, alot of times young flatheads spots are bigger and spread out and get smaller as they age. in my area flatheads are more commonly referred to as spotted cats.

17. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi Richard,

It is a pretty catfish, I wish there was a better picture of it. It looks like most of the specimens of brown bullheads (Ameiurus nebulosus in the old days it was Ictalurus nebulosus) that I have seen. Spotted bullheads have a very small range, but they are found in Georgia. However, browns have a very large range. What body of water was it caught in? If it was a small stream or lake, what larger body of water does it flow into? The range of spotteds is restricted to a few river drainage systems and if it was not caught in one of those systems chances of it being a spotted are very low, not impossible just very low.

Take Care,
    John

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Small flathead
    Pete

19. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    Flathead. Based on its bodily proportions, I'm pretty sure its not a bullhead. I've caught flatheads ranging from solid dork brown to mottled yellow. Check out the flattie in my profile, it has orange fins. They come in a wide variety of colors and markings. That fish sure is pretty.

20. richard dunbar

State:
    Washington
    caught in a private pond, guy had them stalk along with channels. cant figure out why I cant get the other picture to load though