I was just thinking???

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by oh no, Mar 17, 2008.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Is it legal to hunt in a cemetery? Lots of people go to funerals wearing all the best. Seems like jewelry could get lost there.

Hey I'm still on my first cup of coffee. Don't think I'm nuts. I want to get a detector.

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Hey I'm still on my first cup of coffee. Don't think I'm nuts. I want to get a detector. LOL with that kinda of thinking i'd say it's your first case of beer:eek:oooh: Good luck on grave digging loll :smile2:

3. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I think you may be asking for something that may follow you home.

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    OK OK I have had more than one cup now. lol I fed the critters, so I was out in the 30 degree temp for 45 minutes. I'm awake.:big_smile:

Maybe that would look like grave digging/robbing. I do not think any jewelery found would belong to anyone interned there.

I have seen 45s,38s, sixpacks, jewelery and other assorted things put in the coffin when the family gets the last goodbye's in, but that is in the casket. And that is put in a concrete vault, 6 foot under the ground. It does not seem that a metal detector would even pick that up.

Stuff following one home, I don't think any ghost is going to follow me home. They would get pretty bored watching me. lol

I have left an empty pitcher at a grave site once of a real good Friend that passed away 20 years ago. Maybe other people have left things that were metal, close to the markers as a remembrance. I don't know. Might not be right to look.

But we have women joggers and older couples that walk/jog/run on the paved lanes threw the cemetery's that are in town. The country cemetery's usually don't have paved lanes. All those folks walking-etc. could lose stuff.

My brain might be acting up again. lol :smile2:

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It's not a very acceptible practice, in the detectorist community, to detect cemetaries. A lack of respect thing.

You could be giving the local athorities, one more reason to regulate a good hobby.

6. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes a lot of people take that the wrong way. Still I have heard people tell about detecting the roads leading to the cemeterys with out getting folks upset. They say they get a lot of coins,me I think I will pass.

7. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Jim, Just to let you know you are not the first person that has thought about detecting the old country cemetery. But one of the things my two friends and I use to do on our detecting trips back in the south was to walk the old cemeteries looking at names and dates and reading the grave stones. as a means of dating an area, and what we have seen would turn your stomach. We have seen above ground tombs Broken in to and bones scattered all over the cemetery, by Vandals and grave robbers. Not a very pretty site. and Not just in one cemetery, but many. So just out of respect to the dead I could never bring my self to detect in a cemetery. some of the things we would see when walking the old cemetery's was where whole families would die in the same week. it would make you stop and wonder, what hard times these people must have went though back in their day. We have visited the Arlington cemetery and while their, went to the tomb of the unknown solder. To the grave site of President Kennedy, Joe Louis, and many of our great military people from the past . Some of the great people we have paid our respects on our trips were Hope-along Cassidy, country singer Jimmy Rogers, Elvis Prissily. I am just fascinated by old cemeteries, and the the hard ships these people must have had to endure back in their time, and it makes me appreciate life much better, and I thank god every day for it.

8. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know of a metal detecting club in Oklahoma that checked out an old cemetery. They volunteered to clean the old place by removing brush, removing small trees, weedeating , mowing, and the powers that be allowed the club to sweep the place. I helped clean but I just felt odd metal detecting but I'm just weird that way...My Indian great grandma can be thanked for that one. Big difference between grave robbing and picking stuff up off the surface....

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    not sure i use to squirrel hunt on a cemetary

10. NCHawghunter

NCHawghunter New Member

State:
    Alamance County North Car
    Around here you better not get caught.