I was going to quit smoking....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by tomcat85, Oct 19, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    but i broke down and bought another pack today. im trying not to smoke to many. i usually smoke around a pack a day if not a little more. anyone have any tips on how i can quit. ive tried the gum before but it didnt work very well.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Buy a can of Skoal or a pouch of Redman.

For me it got easier and easier to be without a cigarette once I realized how beat down they had me. I started feeling better within a week and will continue to feel better into the 5th year as my body purges it from my system.
    As good as I feel now I can tell you I wont ever smoke another one.
    I still enjoy the smell of one burning but it doesnt bother me a bit to sit inbetween to buddies fishing while they happen to be smoking.

Its been 4 years last month.:smile2:

3. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    same here Mark. Tom imade myself not smoke for at least 2 weeks and when i noticed how much better i felt it helped me quit. I have been quit 8 years now and i hope i never start back. Hang in there buddy!!!

4. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    I quit, But to late, I have been smoke free for five years, but let me say they have not been five good years, I will tell you how I quit . When the doctor told me their was nothing he could do for me and said it's all down hill from hear. I walked out of his office and never smoked again. I have what they call COPD. not a plasent way to die. You say that you only smoke a pack a day That is what I smoked. but that is one pack to many. The way to do this is just say I can lick this thing I am biger then they are and I have the will power to do this and then do it. No one loves hunting and fishing anymore then I do, but I had to give up my dove and quail hunting this year and I never know if my next fishing trip will be my last. You look like a nice young man and I would like to see you grow up and Have grand children, But If you keep smoking their is a dam good chance you want. Hey I am a new member and not a bad guy but yours is one of the first post I read and I just had to tell you what could be the outcome from smoking that one pack a day.
    Catfish slick
    Sorry Bud

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Well Tom you can chew the gum ,use the patches or whatever but they won't do any good until you make up your mind that you really want to QUIT.
    Now I"m not a long timer like some of the others..I quit DEc5th,05.I woke up that morning coughing as usual couldn't get my breath,said to myself this is stupid. no more smokes that day,tried it again the next day same thing. Haven't touched a cig since.Feel a lot better.Still get short winded once in awhile but not like I used to. Funny smoke smells trebbile to me now but I can live with it.Don't bother me when someone is smoking except for the stink. So When you finally decide to QUIT you'll QUIT.Hopefully it isn't to late for you. Oh by the way I Smoked since I was 9 yrs old now I'm 62 and was smoking 3-4 pks a day.So if I can do it you and anyone else can do it. JUST MAKE UP YOUR MIND and DO IT!!
    Your still young enjoy it while you can.

6. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Tom I have to agree with John. The key to quit smoking is convincing yourself that you want to stop. If you can't convince yourself that you want to stop then brother you have a long road ahead of you. When I was quitting smoking I read somewhere that nicotine only stays in your body for about 3 days, if you can quit for 3 days then your body is clear of nicotine, after 3 days it's all in your head. I made myself quit and after 3 days I told myself that the cravings were in my head and kept reminding myself of that. It wasn't easy but I'm glad I quit and now I have a general idea of what addiction feels like. I know you can and will quit Tom, best of luck on becoming smoke free!

7. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    You have to really want to quit. Try to think of a good reason, wife, kids, family or just the price alone is a good reason and then just do it. Quit cold turkey! You can do it, and you'll feel better, be happier and have more money to spend on fishing gear.

I quit over 20 years ago and I was a 2 pack a day man, unfiltered pall malls. I tried switching to a pipe and I was smoking a pouch and a half a day and it was just as bad of a habit as smoking cigarettes.

The only way is cold turkey! It will be the hardest thing you ever do but it will be worth it!

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I think after reading this thread that I will quit smoking, starting saturday. I just hope I can not smoke again.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    John is right you have to want to quit I quit in Jan 1991 after 40 yrs cold turkey when I craved one I would tell my self suffer Fool you brought this on your self I saved the money that I would have spent on cigarettes and bought me a Honda bike for a reward to myself If I can anyone CAN:big_smile:

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I'M With You jason I will try again Sat. To Quit smoking. I smoke 2 1/2 packs of Pall mall a day and would probably smoke more if I diden't have to sleep some. been at it now fo 44 years, and probably smoked up the cost of a copple of corvetts. Hell just call me STUPID. Wish Me Luck. J.D.
    :beat_brick:

11. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    nicotine in cigarettes is more addictive than herion or cocaine....
    '

just keep trying... it is a very nasty habit but just keep on a trying!

12. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    If you really want to quit you can. If you don't you will just keep making excusses to yourself. I gave up cigarettes 5 months ago then gave up snuff a month later. You just have to want to.

13. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Good LucK! Good Luck to Tom, Jason and J.D. on quiting!

14. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    ill keep u 3 in my prayers n thought u do quit gl u guys

15. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska

forgive me if this sounds a lil rude but how will buying chewing tobacco get rid of your tobacco addiction? i just dont see how that would work.

16. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Most would say that chew is definatly the lesser of two evils.

17. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Tom, I quit smoking when I got pregnant, but I don't think that's an option for you.:big_smile:

Just hang in there buddy. Keep trying and remember what you will be saving.....money and possibly your life.

Good luck and best wishes.

18. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I have started to quit several times. I smoke about 3/4 a pack a day. Have tried to get the wife to quit with me. But, do you know how hard it is living with a woman having a nicotine fit? Don't give trish a cigarrete and you will meet a whole new woman that you don't wanna know!!! Wish you the best of luck and hopefully i will lay the pack down before it is to late also!!

19. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    There is a product called "commit" on the market. Big $$$$$ they work but they do NOT cure your cavings for nictine (sp) try them.
    Bill

20. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    THANK YOU EVERYONE. i already smoked a pack today. which im kicking myself in the butt for. my dad has lung cancer from smoking and it went to his braing. a lot of people call me stupid for not quitting or at least trying too. sometimes it makes me feel like crap that i cant quit. but he keeps smoking and it makes it harder to quit. i really want to do this and all your encouragement really is going to help. i spend so much money on cigarettes its ridiculous. im going to give it a try tomorrow cold turkey. if it doesnt work im going to try try again. thanks again for all the support!:big_smile: