I want your years of wisdom~ Line setup

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by evilfud, Jul 5, 2009.

1. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Ok guys consider me a noob cat fisherman. I am just recently getting into it (as an adult) and i want to make sure im doing things the best way possible.

Now the target fish is i want to have a set up that is just ready for anything from the local resevoir (prairie creek) all the way to Ohio River fishing. Is this possible? Or am i forced to make changes for the body of water?

Right now my set up is as follows. 2 poles 30lb and 1 pole 50lb Power Pro with a 9" or 12" steel leader tied via the doubled five turn uniknot. Currently using a 3/0-4/0 Ganamatsu or w/e circle hooks. I also use the team catfish sinker slidez and sinker bumper for easy weight change and knot protection.

With this setup a line break on snag is a bit hard but maybe its something i have to deal with.

Should i use a different size hook and should i be using steel leaders or like a high poundage mono berkley big game leader on snelled hooks ? Give me your thoughts please.

Thanks,
    Fud

2. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I have some R&R's that has 60 & 80# test. I try to avoid snags at all cost just because that 60 & 80 # is hard to break even with 1"+ stick with mono wraped around it 4-5 times. The hooks & leaders you have are good.
    I'm sorry that I'm not knowledgeable of the knots that people uses or any rigs setup.

3. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like to snell my hooks and use 50 lb mono leaders. Egg or bank sinkers and a bead for knot protection. I either use improved cinch with a double wrap on the swivel or a palomar.

...and welcome to the BOC Chris!

4. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    personally i dont use or like the wire leaders ... and i would go with a bigger hook. like an 8/0 gama octopus circle. i have caught 1lb channels on these hooks and caught 30+ lb blues on them ... second i would go with 60lb suffix leader hard to beat and really abbrassive resisintance for fishing around rocks or cover. 30lb is fine for your mainline. for just about anywhere you go. as for hard to break your line when you get snagged ... id say your gonna have to live with that ... i like sometimes not being able to break my line cause in some cases i dont lose anything when it comes loose. and also when its hard to break off then you know you should be able to handle a nice fish when it gets on. what kinda setup do you use with your sinker and hook ... i use the carolina rig method for everything ...seems to work well ... thats the one with the sliding sinker bead then swivel then my leader with my hook attached

5. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I use 30lb mono and 8/0-10/0 king kahle hooks.Sinkers are 3-5 oz bank sinkers. I like a simple rig with only one knot. I slide a sinker onto the mainline then tie on my hook using a polamar knot then I put a big splitshot on the mainline about 12" from the hook to keep the bank sinker away from the hook. I sometimes don't even use a splitshot letting the sinker go all the way down to the hook. I played around alot with threeway rigs, swivells,beads, and all that. I like the rig I use because its fast to settup,simple and I catch fish with it.

6. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i have always used a carilona rig but i am going to try a different rig when i go out after spwan is over

7. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    i agree with every word of it!! especially the wire leaers and 8/0 gamas

8. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Will it break in a snag? No probably not...if it does, it'll likely be at a knot. That's the problem with knots, they'll all break before the line will.

I've used wire leaders and I still do occasionally, they aren't all bad, just make sure you assemble them with care for detail. I've had some that were just thrown together fall apart on me.

If you are fishing in heavy cover, use a shorter leader. You'll snag less often. But you're bound to end up snagged, in fact if you aren't getting hung up at least once in a while you probably aren't fishing close enough to the cover.

I'd also agree that you need a bigger circle hook, most people use 8/0, but just make sure whatever you use that the bait doesn't completely fill the hook and the point is exposed.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94333

9. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    OK this may sound dumb, obvious or both. But I know we've all been guilty because you don't think about it until it happens.

When you get hung up on cover, especially with braid because it doesn't stretch at all; be careful yanking on the line to free yourself. Five ounces of lead and a laser sharp hook flying at your head or the family jewels is no fun, and could seriously injure you or someone you're fishing with.

A buddy took one in the gonads about a month ago. Luckily he was wearing jeans and it hit his leg first. But I guess he squealed like a stuck pig for a half hour afterwords.

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My arsenal consists of 8,9,10' rods. Equipped with large spinning reels, and large casting reels....topped with 20-40 # mono. I use 9/0 King Kahles for flatheads and 10/0 circles for blues and channels. Every knot I tie is a palomar knot. I have never had one to fail at the knot. I feel that I am prepared for just about any fish that I hook up with. I fish lakes, reservoirs, and the main channels that run through them. I use a sacrifcial sinker line on most of my rigs and check my mono line for any frays or knicks after each trip. I re-tie my leaders after each trip. I try to leave nothing to chance. Anyway, You'll get lots of different ideas from lots of BOC brothers and lots of different styles of fishing. I usually try to take advice from everyone and put it to my best use. Good Luck!:big_smile:

11. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Thanks very useful info there. My question would be what exact type of sufix 60# and can ya give me a link to where to buy it or does wally world have it? I have found 50 and 100# Wind on and 60# flurocarbon from sufix.

Thanks,
    Fud

12. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    the flourocarbon 60# is what im talking about.. no wall world doesnt carry it ... you can most likely order it online. i think kens bait and tackle down at kentucky/barkley dams has it. Ummm you might be able to find it somewhere on here. If im not mistaken any heavy flourocarbon will work ... i just like suffix cause thats the only one i have tried

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    40# big game- swivel- eagle claw 84 hooks(7/0). my fish only go to 50 pounds though.

14. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i go with 30lb big game and ive wore myself out a couple of times trying to break the stuff i just took my bait knife and cut the line. 8/o gamas with the biggest gold swivels walmart has and if you go over into the arts and craft of walmart you can pick up a bulk pack of camo colored bids for under 3 bucks and a count of like 300 i think maybe more not sure. better than those red ones in the fishing section the still damage your knot. these ones actually slid over ur not and hit ur swivel. so no knot damage ...and for the count and price way cheaper on the craft beads.

15. 32841

32841 Guest

Cris;
    I agree with Dave, we use a very similar setup, I use no roll sinkers to keep line drift to a minimum.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish from the shore and mainly use 12 foot rods.

My rods are american spirt nite sticks, and ugly stick big waters.

My reels are abu baitcasters in the 6500 size, with the abu record 6500 high capacity being my favorite reel, but it is a bit pricy at around 160 bucks.

I use no roll sinkers, from 4-8 ounces

Gamagatsu 8/0 circle hooks.

Berkly big game line 25-lb test, I have never felt I needed a heavier line even catching flatheads over 50-lbs in river current.

However I dont target struture as much as I do depth, my best spot is just deep, without alot of snags, so I can get away with a lighter line/

Last year I caught 5 flatheads over 40-lbs in the daytime from deep water holes.

My leader is the same 25-lb test as my mainline, and I use Berkly Mc mahon barrel swivels in size 1/0