I want to try out catching carp, need help

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by sambo, Jan 7, 2008.

1. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    I have heard that carp are fun to catch , would like to try it out ,but i have no idea where to begin . I need some info on this anything will help , I have never even tried to catch one , so i am a beginner. What size hooks , line rod ,reel ,bait? I know these fish get fairly large and i think it would be nice to catch a big one. Are they edible ?

2. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Sam carp are really fun to catch and there are thousands of them everywhere. In Europe they are considered to be the best fish in there waters next to salmon, that's why they are here, they are a import from europe cuz when the imagrants came here they didn't have their favorite fish in this country.
    The best and simplest way is to use regular whole kearnel corn from the can, throw a handful out in the water for chum, it almost always for me takes 15 min. for some action, use a small but strong bait hook that will hold about 4 kernels of corn, put it on a 18" leader with about 10-12 lb. test, barrel swivel, egg sinker and tie to your main line, it dosen't need to be out in the middle either, 10-15 yards thats it. The rig is the basic carolina rig and that's it. You DONOT leave your rod unattended or you WILL lose it. Afer you cast out and set your rod on a rest, have a belly in your line so when the fish takes the bait he doesnot feel anything and FISHON !!!!!:wink:

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Check out the boc library, great info. I have heard of them being caught on balled up bread.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    You can also crush up some wheaties, mix in a bit of Annise,some strawberry flavored koolaid and water. Mix all together until you can make balls out of it.
    Hate to say it but works best on a treble hook. Personally do'nt like using treble hooks ,but sometimes you just gotta .
    Like they said don't leave pole unattended.Best to get a good poleholder to put them in. Carp is a very hard fighting fish and really strong.Have fun and enjoy.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Bread does work good. During the warmer months early and late in the day the carp are feeding up top. I use bread but only ball up a small corner of it so it flats. Its super fun watching carp suck it up off the top of the water. Corn works good also but I just like to watch them big boys play around and actually see them suck up the bread.

-Jim-

6. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    try this bait it also works well for catfish.
    crush up some cornflakes and add crawfish oil and for scent not to much you only need a couple of drops. then add corn juice if youre state regulations say you can use corn then dump the can in and mix till it is real thick. if you add to much juice then crush up some more cornflakes and add them until it is really hard to stirr.
    and to answer youre question yes you can eat carp but only in the spring because the mud vein on there side wont be gritty like later in the year.

7. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    This carp bait took me about 3 hours to convince the guy that was catching all these carp below Smithville dam in KC to let me know what was in it. I never saw anything like it before and I'll share it with you guys cuz carp are really fun to catch and you can do it almost everywhere! and the bait is really nice and eazy but it's one of the best--right with corn!!!

Take a 1 gallon zip lock bag, fill it half full with WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, must be whole wheat--add the big package of strawberry jello--add the smallest jar of creamy peanut butter.

After all the stuff is in the bag, close with it full of air, mix it by rubbing the bag until the peanut butter goes away, the stuff in the bag looks like heavy cornmeal.

When you get to where you are fishing just dip you hand into the water and scoop out a handful and dump it into a corner of the bag and make a doughball--stiff dough-- it won't come off and you caneven use a regular bait hook. Take a handful of the flour and throw it out in the water before you start making your dough to start your chum smell and it almost always takes 15 min. b4 your first bite then hang on.

I always use a carolina rig to fish this--slip sinker--barrel swivel--leader--hook and the least if any weight, and always have slack in your line to they don't feel anything--and also be careful cuz these carp will freight train you most of the time with this bait--which means they pick it up and take off like HELL

HAVE FUN:wink:

8. darkthirty

darkthirty New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    It's easy to make boiley. Take flour and water and make a stiff doug, role them into 3/8 " balls or marbel size. boil them a minute or so set them out to cool.dust them with flour. put a few in a sandwitch bags with different seasing you have, jello.chile power . different things work . I keep them in ice box . they will last alongtime.

9. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Sam, I also wanted to tell you that carp ARE good to eat, they just take a little more to dress them than most Americans want oto mess with cuz we all are used to just filleting or skinning and your done.

You can take carp and fillet them, score them--cut into the meat up and down not lenght wise half way through, then turn over and do it on the other side. Get your peanut oil smoking hot--we used to light a kitchen match on the oil b4 we would put the fish in--it will float up golden brown and there are NO bones -- we used to do this all the time in hte summer when we were in high school, a few cold barley pops are your set!

The other way I've done carp is to can them. Fillet your fish cut into small pieces and stuff them into pint jars--add 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp catsup--nothing else. Put into a pressure cooker and after the steam is up cook for 99 min. Just enough time for a couple of barley pops.

This really is good, let it cool and open a jar and drain and put some on a cracker, and if you can tell the difference from salmon you'll be the first.:big_smile:

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I fish a 15 acre pond and catch 20 pounders all the time. This past summer someone caught one 45-47 pounds somewhere in there, it was in the paper.

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Ya, carp are good to eat, but they gotta be prepared right or they taste bad. Smoking is one way, there are different recipies, and soup, and some other ways, but my wife knows them, I don't. Its all in how they are prepared, they are really good done right.

12. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    heres carp bait that works for me is chicken liver yes chicken liver is good for carp also. i was fishing one june morning this year last cast thinking it was an uber channel catfish but it was a monster carp around 20 lb and all around 30 inches of that fish. i have gotten several small carp this summer this summer with aka the drought we had on the gmr river levels about 2 feet down but it was fun. chicken livers do work.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've caught carp on the following baits.....Corn,worms,bloodbaits, minnows,chicken livers,and of course carp dough and homemade doughs. I have never eaten them because I was told as a child that they were full of bones and no good to eat. I really don't know for sure though.:embarassed:

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Every time I go out to catch bait I get a carp or two. A micro lite with four to six pound line, 1/16 splitshot and a # 6 hook with a piece of night crawler and you are in business. Keep your drag light and hang on! lol:big_smile:

15. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Mix your canned carp with mayo, pickle relish and onions if you like them, it really tast so much better than tuna salad.
    When cleanibg carp, cut the dark meat off and you will be surprised what a differance that makes.
    Sharon

16. ahab

ahab New Member

State:
    texas
    Sambo, Carp are some of the most exciting fish you will ever catch! They are butt ugly but once you hook onto a few (you will) you will become addicted.

Any bass /panfish gear you have will work. Get a loaf of white bread, mix it with cottonseed and any other ther flavorant, mash it into dough. Use small baitholder hooks (anything between size #8 to#4.)Cast into the water and hang on!

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Canned carp? Learn something new all the time here, thanks.

18. Flat_Cat

Flat_Cat New Member

State:
    Higginsville, MO
    I'm not bragging but I make the BEST carp bait ever

2 cups flour
    1 cup corn meal
    1 cup oats
    1/2 cup molasses
    1 pack strawberry jello or strawberry banana
    1 cup cottonseed meal (optional) Add this and it will catch buffalos
    4 tbls vanilla
    mix with strawberry pop

Use with a #6 treble with no weight

HANG ON TO YOUR ROD !!!!!!

19. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Heck thats easy. We got a place here on the Wabash thats great for carp. Just get in your boat and go like hell. You dont catch them they catch you, in the head, in the chest, in your boat.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

20. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    check out the boc libary should be some info there:wink: