I want to learn how to make a knife

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by 1sporticus, Oct 24, 2006.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am wanting to learn how to make a hunting/skinning knife. I have been reading on ebay where you can buy the blanks ect. but what I'd like to know is how to make one from scratch. Later Andy

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Andy, that would really be something good to know. I would sure give it a try if I knew how to.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I aint anywhere near an expert in this area but ive made several of my own i used old circular saw blades and cut them out with my torch moving really fast to keep from burning the temper out then drill holes for handel and start grinding its a slow process so take your time then at the end of it all polish it up and this is the most dangerous part cause the buffer will grab it and there goes a finger or worse but its fun so try it and see but be careful

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
  5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Back in my youthful days many good knife makers started with an old file.The work is long ardous and requires much patience.You would have to research tempering etc.I bought a Randall hunter years ago with some hard earned cash when Randall was the king of knifemakers.Got into an argument/discussion with a friend over which was better Randall or plain ole store bought Buck.This was on the north rim of the Grand Canyon in the Kaibab Nat Forest, famous for huge mule deer.Discussion got quite heated around the campfire so we decided we would slam the two knives together hard as we could,edge to edge.(I didn't say we were very intelligent).End result was the Buck cut 1/2 inch into the Randall.Further end result was the Randall was thrown over the rim right then and I have carried Bucks ever since.I'm sure archeologists thousands of years from now will dig up the Randall and wonder why it has a V-Notch carved into the middle of the blade.:lol: :smile2: :eek:oooh:

6. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I think the best place to find that out would be doing a web search.

7. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Bob, thank you for that link, that is really a good site to learn how to make a knife. I have it bookmarked and will do a lot of reading and maybe I can give it a try one of these days. Knife making has always held a fascination for me.

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Welll thanks guys. I went to the page Bob Paul listed and it is very informative, and I am going to be spending some time there today. Richard when you cut the knives out of old circle saw blades did you have to temper them? I have heard out making a knife out of an old file, but never saw one that I am aware of. Keep the idea's coming maybe I just might learn something. Later Andy

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Old files make excellent knives but they do need to be rehardened and tempered after all the shaping is done. Another good source for knife steel is the blade from an industrial reciprocating power saw, like a big mechanical hacksaw. I have made a couple of great fillet knives from these blades. They much thinner than files so if you grind them gently and constantly dip them in cold water rehardening and tempering can be avoided...W

10. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    not sure how "from scratch" you want it Jim but you can search for somethin called "track of the wolf" and they carry a lot of stuff-
    just a suggestion
    -Chris

11. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Bob, thanks for taking the time to look up that site. It appears to be very usefull. I am looking into making a knife with the tusk of a boar that I shot. I figured it might make a nice little skinning knife or something. Anyone have any ideas on what to make with the tusk of a boar it is three inckes long?

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've got two boar tusks hanging from my rear view mirror. I doubt they'd make good knife handles. From the looks of my two, they don't hold up very well.

I continued on the knife search and found many sites on the subject. You could go on for days with the research.

I've seen knife handles made from just about anything that would polish up. From giraffe shin bone to the bone in a walrus's penis, no joke. There's a special name for it so people don't know exactly what it is. It's expensive and highly prized, especially by the walrus:big_smile:

13. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Andy I met you and your son and friend at Truman get to gather had the spot next to you with firewood and river pro boat.
    Like 223 said I use saw blades, and cut them out with torch, and grind edges back to get ride of brunt metal, about 1/8 of inch. then I soften them.
    by getting them red hot like almost cherry, red, and put them in ashes so they cool slow. then drill holes for handle, use 1/8 brazen rod for pins, poxy glue, before putting handle on I shape and polish it, then heat it up to cherry red, even, and I put it in light oil, for temper. their is other ways,
    when working on handle I put masking tape on blade, to keep from scratching and it cutting me in buffing.
    Hope this helps
    Jim

14. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Jim, Ya I remember you. Once again thanks for the fire wood. I think I have some old saw blades, and I'm going to give this a try. I am finding this to be a very good topic, I have been looking a buying a new knife for the boy, but I think if he and I can make one/or more together, it might be more meaningful. A bonus is it will give me something to do in the wintertime. Keep the idea's coming guys and gals. Later Andy

15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    It's an oo-sick (no idea how it's spelled, but that's how it's pronounced).

And yes, the owner will fight you for it.:lol:

16. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Hay Andy hows the knife making, comming, give us a up date. If your are
    going tobe at the Missouri, gathering, and need saw blades let me know, I have several 10inch, and a few 12inch, I'll give to you.
    Jim

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've got friends that have made some real nice ones from truck leaf springs.
    For handles they got hold of some 1/2" plexiglass in different colors.
    They alternated a 1/2" thick walnut ring with a 1/2 thick plexiglass ring to build the handles. Pretty cool looking.

18. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Great question and great sight. Thanks guys for the reading.
    :boss:

19. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Here is a place that has everything youn wil ever need to make a knife.
    Jantz Supply.

20. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    A lot of great ideas, keep them coming. I have been thinking of using old lawn mower blades, any ideas about that. later Andy