I want to hit up the Colorado!!!

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by Wvawitrado, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Hey bros I am from fresno and have the itching to hit the river atleast 2 a month with my boat I would like to make my first trip real soon is there any tips on where to go? (not where your honeyholes are though!!!!):big_smile: unless you feel like you want to tell me it would be appreciated.. but what I should do/ how to prepare/ Im only 22 so I have not the greatest trip leader experience but what i do know is how to have a darn good time So my question bros is WHO WANTS TO FISH WITH ME!??!?!?!

2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Jordan,
    :0a23:
    :crazy:"Man" - I wish I lived closer to you because I will sure take you up on that fishing trip. I live up here in the San Francisco/Oakland Bay Area in the city of San Leandro and I attended a fishing Gathering at the Colorado River in June of this year. I few down to Burbank, Hooked-up with a friend of mine (Plumbertom) and we made the drive over to the River (Great Fishing, you will love it). I'm sure that some of the fellows here will see this post & give you some good & Helpful information on the do's & don'ts of the River.
    :wink:

:0a26:
    Take it easy,
    Bert ZE]

3. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    SWEET thank you Is there any spots up your way? Im looking for just some good fishing and even better company I cant get enough of it!!:big_smile:

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Bert, you guys ought to get together and hit Clear Lake. Maybe give Knotguilty a shout.
    As far as fishing the Colorado, keep your eye on the rivers talk forums and your bound to findsome one going there.
    Maybe not from Fresno, but there will be a few that go year round.
    I bet any one going would be happy to have you join their trip and help you get oriented on the river.

5. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    how is the fishing at pineflat?

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Well I do live here...... When were you thinking of coming? I had a great weekend with snagged2 recently. I don't know if my schedule will be free to spend alot of time with you but I can make sure you have bait and I'll be glad to meetandgreet for sure.

7. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    RRSSMITH the fishing at pineflat is mediokre 2-3# as well as the other areas around me im dying for big game fishing around here my PB is only a 6# but there are big ones around here just few and far between
    JAGDOCTOR Im interested in coming soon I just would like a good orientation and maybe some company I have a boat as well maybe if its not good for you the first time possibly we could fish the second or something ay?

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Yeah just let me know ahead of time when you think you'll be heading out. I have a pretty flexible schedule and can always find some time here and there, just not sure about an all out fishing trip until the time comes. Like you said there can always be a second time.

9. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Wvawitrado the river can get a lil confusing but this is what I know. You can camp and launch at Mayflower camp ground. Plenty of spots to fish up river. Head north in your boat and look for the cable crossing. Both sides of the river are good for channels but the east side is better for flats. You can buy bait (gold fish) or make your own with in a mile or two of driving. I don't know when your heading over there but if I'm in town we can hook up and i'll show where I go. Try looking up Riverbud he has a place on the river and knows it well. He got me started on the river along with others. Most of us don't mind sharing spots cause I have seen many people catch flats at the same spot I didn't. Just luck of the draw I think.

10. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey there Jordan not much better of a place to head then the Blythe area, If I were send someone on there first flathead trip it would be the Blythe area and were Greg said is as good as any. Dude if your heading to the river from your area just don't go threw LA take the CA-58 threw Kramer Junction to the I-40 to Needles down the CA 95 south a few miles longer but a lot faster. When your ready to hit it up we'll maybe see if we cant hook up, on smaller boats its almost better fishing 1 to a boat in a group of several near by boats, just a little safer,, most of the time your a long ways from any one, when we fish up river there a lot of times there's not another living person with in 5 miles, ya got to remember the days are hot, this time year you could get temps of 120+:crazy: come Oct. it will be in the 90's but it starts cooling down at nite and can get cold , give out a ring when your headed out.

11. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Not 100% in stone yet but im thinking 2 weeks I will be down there maybe 3 at max I would greatly appreciate the help guys it would make me feel a heck of alot safer with all these boat stories...But yeah I will be bring one to 2 buddys I have a 18 cobalt trihull she trimmed up will float in 1foot 6" of water so she is pretty shallow and really reliable is there anything I need to do to prepare myself or boat with anything special?

12. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Very hot weather in harsh sunlight during the day and night fishing in 90 degree heat. Bring some deet. Bring a good ice chest, you'll have to renew your ice supply daily even with a five day chest, and a quality minnow bucket with an aerator is a good idea in case you have to tranport gills or green sunfish from where they are caught to where they will be used.
    Goldfish keep well but sunfish die quickly in the heat particularly if the water gets stale.

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Jorden... just reading your post.... closer this time.... look, you said that you have a cobalt tri hull.... I imagine that it is an IO drive, like a buddy of mine had.... if so, you will spend lots of time "trimmed up" while running, would be best if you have a "satalite navagator" (GPS) as the water has definite chanels that are deeper.... dont want to discourage you, but plan on some daylight time to get a feel for the river.... no hard bottom to wory about, and very little stumps...

Bayrunner Ray

14. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Thanks gilmafam yeah I was planning on a day to get oriented on the river my depth frinder is pretty reliable no gps though...I was hoping to get some help and I have had many responses so when the trip comes I will tell you who came through for some good fun kattin action!!! Is is really that shallow to have to cruise trimmed up? I also have a bow mount trolling motor 55# minnkota powerdrive v2/AP

15. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Scott would be great to see ya down there. Not much that can go wrong with a trailer except the wheel bearings and tires and maybe the lights but that ya can see and isn't going to leave ya on the side of the road, think I payed at Goodyear $80 dollars to have the bearings done and if i remember that replaced a set of bearings also not to hard to do them in the driveway. if ya need a hand on them your not that far away that couldn't help ya out on it. If ya need tires you'll need them anyways :wink: kinda like the bearings,, to get an Idea about how the bearing are grab a hold of the top of the tire and pull back and forth sideways with some force and if ya here any kinda clunk ya need to be looking at them

16. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    O ya ya mite be able hitch a ride on my old tub:big_smile:

Attached Files:

17. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    sounds like this has the makings of a BOC gathering?

18. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    No time like the present to get a few miles under your belt.
    Make sure your wheel berings are in good shape and well lubed then hit the highway.
    Keep in mind that towing speeds are 55 MPH andwith those little wheels on your trailer you shouldn't run too much over that.
    Stop every 50 or 75 miles and check your wheels for excess heat and to make sure your not leaking bering grease and you should do Okay.
    And don't forget you need a Az. river stanp for your Ca. license. You can get them at Yellow Mart on Hobbson way in Blythe.

19. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    BULLDOGBOOGERS CANT COME!

20. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    He has too many fish in his avatar!