Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
If I could jug for flats I would use tough hard to kill bait, bullheads come immediately to mind from 4 to 10 inches long, the bait needs to be lively to get a flats attention, next do you jug in areas that are prone to hold flatheads? timber, rocky areas, near brushpiles, etc. the bad thing is flatheads like thick cover which is probably the worst place to fish jugs, a big flathead will take the bait and head for cover, your jug goes down and gets tangled in the cover and not only do you never see your jug again but a but a flathead might and probably will die a needless death and be wasted,not a good situation, limblines or trotlines might be a more prudent choice.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Bluegills and bullheads. Easier to get a mess of bluegills around here. Most fish that do tangle up will escape as the static pull will eventualy rip the hook out as they roll and roll. Not a pretty picture and if you ever catch a big one with a notch out of the lip thats probably what happened. We've never had a fish drag a jug down forever or even get a 2 liter completely submerged but river current has. Bankpoles or trotlines are probably a better bet if you want some flatheads. We prefer bankpoles for flats as we can set them right in the brushpile.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I do not fish fot flats with jugs. I use free floating jugs. Freefloating jugs and flats
do not mix. The habitat for flats is murder on freefloating jugs. If I was gonig to
try to fish for flats with jugs I would make them stationary and bait with large
live bait.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.