I want to can

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by wylie catter, Jun 10, 2009.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Starting from scratch here. I've never canned nothing. I need to know what to buy and how to go about doing it.

I dug up my early taters 2 days ago and have 10 gallons of them on my porch swing. There will be more soon. And Lord willin ill have a lot of tomatoes, green beans, onions and cucombers getting ripe soon too.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Get you a Ball Canning book,,, I have seen them at Menards, Tractor Supply Ace Hardware, etc... They have a ton of information,,,, those plaid Betty Crocker Binder type cookbooks have lot's of information on canning too.

Years ago I bought some canned taters,,, had alot of tin can taste to me..

We can about all our tomato's,,[ whole, juice, salsa, stewed],,, a lot meat,, chicken and beef,,,,then we freeze our green beans and sweet corn,,,, I might try canning some beans this year....

My potato's I have planted in 3 different locations and time frames,,, so I won't have all of them at once,,,,alot of them will go to the local food bank,,,I might keep a couple bushel of the later ones in the basement for winter...

3. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'll get one of those books. I guess walmart or tractor supply will sell the jars. Is there any certain kind of jar I need to get?

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you have a farm auction close,,, get your jars there,,,, I have seen them go for a dollar a card board box, and there would be 2-3 dozen jars in them....

Jars last forever ,,,, as long as the seal edge is not chipped....I have jars that are over 100 years old,, glass lids,, wire tie downs,,, use those jar rubbers,,,,they make everything canned in them ornamental,,, I love em....lol

Lids are going for about 1.50 a dozen at Walmart and Save A Lot,,,, for regular lids,,,,Ace and Tractor Supply have the old style rubbers and lids.

Get the size jars you want and need,,, pints,,,quarts or half gallons,,,,

Canning is fun,,,

5. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    You will need a good Pressure Canner. Most canners have a canning
    pamphlet with them with all your pressures and canning times. There
    is a lot info on canning on the NET.

6. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Bought a pressure canner and some jars and books tonight.

Here's a question, every tomatoe recipe I've seen so far is for a steam canner. If I don't put the pressure cap thing on top of mine then it would work for a steamer wouldn't it?

There's a lot of neat recipes in them books. You can even can fish and deer.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Terry, you cant make a steam canner out of a pressure cooker. You can how ever use it as a hot water bath. There are plenty of canning instruction for tomatoes with out using the steaming ones. Further more canning times for steamers haven't bean thoroughly tested yet. Stick with the tried and true..:wink:

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Terry I think the answer to your question is yes. But I am not familiar
    with a steam canner. The only two canners I know of is a water bath
    canner and a pressure canner. A water bath is what people use for Jams
    and jellies and pickles and such. Stuff that a high sugar content or vinegar
    or salt content. A water bath only reaches 180 degrees (boiling).My pressure
    canner reaches 228 on 5# 240 on 10# and 250 on on 15#. You need this
    higher temp on vegetables. For years everyone used a water bath to
    can tomatoes because of the high acid content. In the last 10 ten years or
    so they have suggested canning tomatoes in a pressure canner because
    tomatoes today especially the hybrids have less acid than old time tomatoes.
    What we do on tomatoes is use a pressure canner and as soon a the weight
    spews one time we cut off the heat. Your jars reached 228 degrees instead
    of 180. I think maybe a steam canner and a pressure canner might be the
    same thing. I hope some of our other canners might jump in and help us
    out on this.

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Something I forgot to mention,,, a lot of older people have ton's of fruit jars in their basements,,,,, from when they were raising kids and did Lot's of canning,,,,, I myself probably have over 500 jars in our can goods.

A lot of these older folks would be more than happy to help out a young person out by giving them jars they no longer use...

If your local radio station has one of those call in shows,, trading and selling stuff,,, give them a call,,, asking for fruit jars for canning,,,,,you might never have to buy another jar.

Meijer's has the Ball Blue canning books and the one by us has pallets of jars and lids,,,,, they were the best stocked on canning supplies I have seen so far.

I picked up another 10 dozen regular lids,,,, 1.49 a dozen,,, and 4 more dozen wide mouth lids,,, 2.19 a dozen.

I have not found Ball lids cheaper than 1.49 a dozen.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Terry, there is one thing to remember about pressure canning. It is NOT like fishing. There is one way and only one way to do it correctly. Don't fall for the I do it this way, or my mom did it this way advice, that can and will lead to trouble or even serious physical harm. Canning is work its not a game. :wink::big_smile:

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :smile2:
    Oh Gosh,,, you had to bring up that 4 letter word,,,WORK,,,, now I don't want to do it...........

It was alright as long as it was fun.:smile2:

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I do alot of my own canning....especially pickles,spears, whole, bread&butter, peppers, and a few others in my bath canner. My mother-in-law does our tomatoes, beans, and other veggies, in her pressure canner. It works great for us splittin up the work and vegs. Thats one of the reasons I put out 3 or 4 garden spots each year. I till it up and work it....till the pickin comes in. She comes over and helps pick it and work it. We work together on everything....and split it all up among family. I still have some ( Biker Billy Jalapeno's) that I canned in 05' and they are still just as hot and great tasting as the day I canned them. We grow and can as much as our property will support and freeze lots of beans, peas, squash, greens, you name it, we got it.

Last night I noticed something knocked over a sweet corn and ate the immature tassles out of the end of it...it had no silks or actual corn yet.:angry:....Now its time to fill the freezer with meats. As the corn begins to ripen and the deer come round at night up in the yard to eat my stuff....BAM! BAM! BAM!...freezer full of meats! Saves $100's on the annual grocery bills.:smile2: Also last year as left over peas were splitting out and hitting the ground....everyday several coveys of quail would be gorging themselves in my leftovers....more great tasting meats to go with those great tasting veggies.:wink:
    Sorry for ramblin on......I hope you enjoy gardening and canning as much as I do...it is very rewarding.

13. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm doing my first canning right now as I stand here on my blackberry.

I have 2 quarts of potatoes in there that I prepared exactly like the BALL book said. I just put the weight on top and I'm waiting for it to start a rockin so I can start the timer.

I appreciate the advice guys and don't worry I'm taking it serious. I don't won't anybody getting sick.

14. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I did my first green bean pickin a little while ago. The Lords really blessin my garden this year. I picked over 2 gallons and only pulled the longest ones. They're loaded.

This is the first green beans I've ever grown. Do all green beans have a string that you pull out of them? I can't find one on these. And what is the best method for keeping these? Canning or freezing. I have recipes for canning in my books. And I've seen green beans and potatoes canned together before. That looked pretty neat.

15. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Try them all! you cant go wrong.When I had alot of deer to put up we ended up canning two deer.we had deer for the whole winter and spring.The Lord blessed me with all of this meat and veggies.I bought the canner.Together we fed the family.
    smokey

16. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have never seen a green bean that didn't have a string, some more than others. We can green beans in quart jars adding one teaspoon of canning
    salt. We do not add potatoes to the jars, they take up to much room. We
    add the potatoes when cooking the beans.

17. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If you pick some green beans but its no enough to be worth canning yet, what's the best way to keepem fresh a few days till you pick more? I have some broke and washed in a pot in the refridgerater covered with seran wrap.

I maybe should have left them whole.

18. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    That might work. You don't want them to turn brown or dry out. We keep
    ours for a couple of days by having them ready to can and put them in
    zip-lock bags with no air inside and put them in the refrigarater. You do
    not want air to get to them.

19. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing this info. Ive been considering canning for the first time myself this year. I will probally just do peppers and homemade tomato sauce this year, if sucessful....you knows what I'll can next year......hmmmm, pickled catfish :big_smile:

20. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm canning my first green beans right now. I did what the book called Hot Packed them. Where you boil them for 5 min and put them in the jar hot.

So later on when I open the jars how long will these have to be boiled before they can be eat?