I want to buy a skiff or a jon confused!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by vince, Jan 8, 2007.

1. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey
    looking to upgrade my boat i currently have an alumacraft lunker 16.5' 25hp tiller...lots of room great river and lake boat.. just would like to go bigger. thinking about a lund alaskan 18' 50hp tiller...I do fish mainly rivers but minnesota has over 12,000 lakes so you never know...

why so many jons and skiffs? in minnesota all i see is deep v boats..
    LUND, ALUMACRAFT, CRESTLINER, LOWE.. I do like the looks of the G3 and the carolina skiffs and the sea ark do they handle well in choppy waters..
    and hows come you guys did not buy a deep v?

Thanks vince..

2. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Google "Carolina Skiff" - go to the "Carolina Skiff Owners Group" site. Great info and pictures from actual owners. Checkout my fish pictures there under the "Special Liberty" photo album on that site. If you get serious about a Carolina Skiff, let me know, I can provide my insight and experiences.

3. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    I have a 16' predator center console skiff 60 ptilt johnson. I love it. Runs in EXTREMELY shallow water. Drawbacks: you will get wet with a good chop or swells. Have 2- friends with carolina skiffs rides are comparable 17'- 19' . found them to be under powered with the "Yammers" that came with them.
    Any skiff-will surely give you a stable fishing platform.

Curious-- why do norhern areas use alot of "tillers". They are extremely rare here unless you have a 25hp or lower
    and fish exclusively freshwater

4. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Vince what type of water are you going to be fishing mostly? If you are sticking to the rivers in Minnesota I would go with an all welded modified -V jon boat with a 25 to 50 horse or something similar that is easy to get around in shallow water and can withstand hitting an occasional log or rock. I wouldn't take anything other than an aluminum boat in the river, I have heard horror stories about fiberglass boats hitting rocks and logs......but if you are fishing the larger lakes of minnesota I would definetely go deep-v Lund...extra wide with the largest motor you can afford.......the only difference in the 2 different types of boats is about 20 grand!

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I believe the tiller steer motors in the northern states are used primarily for back trolling for walleye...they get slower speeds, and much better control with them.

Years ago, I had a 16' Alumacraft vee...side console, 35 hp Johnson. Great boat...ran all over Corpus Christi Bay, Aransas Bay, and the Laguna Madre...I miss it, and am in the market for another.

All other things being equal, I believe the aluminum vees, with their curved surfaces, will have the highest strength:weight ratio on the water. They are built like aircraft, not welded boxes. I don't mean to put down welded jons, but they owe a lot of their current popularity to price, and wide availability. There was a time that many here will remember, when every discount store in the south had stacks of riveted jons that you could buy for next to nothing. The welded jons have built on that legacy.

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Vince,and A big Old Welcome to the BOC.I Fish out of a 18ft.Lund Alaskan SSV.Tiller.And I just love it.I like the tiller model as you have mome room to move around in,and it is Very stable and cuts through the chop and waves really well when its windy.I bought it new 8 years ago,the only thing I will change before I retire in a copple of years is replace the motor.It has a 30HP merc.on it and works just fine on the lakes,but when I have 1 or two more guys fishing with me on the Missouri river which is the swiftest river around 5 to 7 M.P.H. it is some what under powered. The Boat is rated for up th 60 HP. and I will be putting a 50 HP. on it. Also Man is it one Tough Boat many,many times in the rivers and lakes I have hit sumerged logs that were just under the water that you coulden't detect or it was pitch black and Never once has it done Any damage to the boat.Doubble riveted hulls it's Great. I know that there are some other Fine boats out there that would serve You well also, but in MHO.the lakes and rivers we fish in Iowa,Minn.and the surounding states I don't think You will go Wrong with a Lund Alaskan. Another thing also is although they are a little Pricy up front they hold there value reall well.J,D.
    :0a18:

7. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    yep, i was just liking the looks of something different but i came to reality nothing beats a lund and all i here is great things about the alaskan..
    tuff tuff boat not fancy just a get-r-done type of boat. more than likely i will upgrade my alumacraft lunker to a 18' alaskan with a 50hp...or a 60 depends on the deal.....state record is just a cast away..

vince

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I went to the Lund website, and looked at the Alaskan...BOSS!:smile2:

Makes me wish there were a Lund dealer in my area.:sad2:

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The question really isn't 'Which one is best', because each type has advantages and disadvantages. The more 'V' shaped the hull, the better it takes rough water. I've had a 20' deep V in 12' waves in the Pacific, and had no problems. But the more 'V' in the hull, the more it will roll when anchored or drifting; the more depth required to float the hull, and the more gas/horsepower it will take to run it at planing speeds. A flatbottomed boat will beat you to death and soak you with spray in rough water, but it will plane at lower speeds and run in shallow water. It's more stable when anchored or drifting. To me, one of the biggest advantages of the aluminum flatbottom is that you can run it over submerged stumps. From watching TV, I've gotten the idea that most northern anglers are fishing waters that are deeper and so have a lot less obstructions near the surface. In many cases, the man-made lakes in the south were created without first clearing the forests, initially resulting in lots of stickups. Eventually, these rotted off just below the surface of the water. I also fish lots of stumpy areas where I could get out and wade, if I chose to get wet; you need a shallow running boat for that type of fishing.

10. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have a SeaArk Crappie rig that I take out on the Mississippi River. It handles very well in the waves from wind and the barges. Sea Ark is a sturdy fishing platform.

11. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I agree Lngbo, For around $20 you can have a 20' SeaArk Rivercat with a vee bottom to tackle those MI lakes and rivers. I have the 3 degree vee but they offer a deeper vee this year to combat the waves.

12. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I traded my Carolina Skiff in on a new 17' Xpress aluminum jon.It has a 40hp Yamaha tiller.The skiff soaked me in rough water & it slept rough(even a sleeping bag was uncomfortable in it)Consoles just take up too much room in my opinion.

13. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN

I would have some serious underwear problems right there!