I want Abu Garcia Bait caster knowledge

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by peewee williams, Jul 11, 2007.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I know very little to nothing about Abu Garcia Bait casters.I don;t remember ever touching one.I may have handed someone their reel who was fishing with one.I once thought about buying a pretty 6000 (I think).It sure looked pretty under that glass.Family emergency and the money went elsewhere.My interest has been sparked!I want to know all that I can.Model names,numbers,sizes etc.mean little to nothing to me.I read all that I can find in the BOC library.The Abu Garcia information thread keeps coming up "Invalid thread" "Notify the Administrator".I ain;t doing much better at their on line site or anywhere else on line for that matter.Can anyone help me?I know that people like them.I want the rest of the story.I am starting to think that they may be addictive.Do you absorb Cocaine or Heroin from them through your hands?It seems that once people get their hands on one they cain;t quit.I am starting to think that it is safer to tell a new mom that her baby is ugly(yea I did! Once!) than it is to run down a Abu Garcia reel to it's owner.Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.

2. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Abu does have series number with the larger numbers with more line capacity. The reels ending with 500 or 000 following the series number does not have a thumb bar to cast from. Last digit ending in 1 is the left crank reel, while the last digit ending in 0 is the right crank. Bearings are labeled C for two bearings, C3 for two bearing plus one in the crank, and so on. Those with bushing have no C designation. Gear ratio varies with each series number from 4.1:1 to 6.3:1.

Like all Abu there are two lines of Abu that are the regular Abus and the international line of Abu reels. The international reels have dual end cap bearings versus the palming side plates on the smaller Abu reels. The international reels also have the CT cage with no levelwind.

As with all the Abu reels they do offer reel candy to enhance the casting.

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    No hard drugs but the fish slime you'll get on your hands from using them causes a case of euphoria not unlike drugs. :eek:oooh: Its a good clean natural high though.:smile2: I got 3 for birthday and Christmas presents around 10 years ago and all 3 are still working. Thats pretty good to me. For comparison I own a Shimano Calcutta baitcaster that is similar as well as a Shakespeare skp 3000, I think. The Shimano is very nice, but no noticeable difference to justify the price so far, more than double retail cost. The Shakespeare feels cheaper and was less than half the cost of the abu but it is a smaller reel. BTW the larger the number on an abu is the larger the reel, 10000 is larger than the 9000 and so on.

I can now clean all my baitcasters and have only messed up something on one with a baitclicker. Theres a little black plastic clip thingy inside the brake control knob that I busted on the abu. It only affects the bait clicker so no big deal, just marked which one until I break down and buy the part. One little tidbit I seem to remember about them is the reason for the plastic in the abu's. At first they were made for salt water so that the gears wouldnt rust, or for some reason I think I remember reading that.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You're right Pee Wee, they are very addictive. They're more like potatoe chips though, you can't have just one!

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a 6500 and have been disappointed with it since I got it. Perhaps, if I had gotten a larger model, that would have taken care of my dislikes, but I had the idea that it was a good, all-around catfishing reel. With light to moderately heavy usage, it should be a great reel for you. But it won't handle heavy duty catfishing. The only way you're going to get enough heavy line on the reel is to use a braided superline. Also, plan on upgrading the drag system to a non-Abu aftermarket system. And get an extra pawl to carry with you when you go fishing; they don't last that long on that model with heavy use.

Example of the wimpy drag system:
    While fishing below a powerhouse (in swift water) I hooked a 10# blue. I had the fish up on the surface of the water, sliding on the surface, yet I couldn't crank the drag down tight enough to pull it in; I had to use my thumb to add more drag.

6. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    all i can tell u is that they are great reels i woulnt use any other

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    PeeWee, I have several of them.... 6500's use them mostly for freshwater, but have used them for salt to..... Diawa and Penn are my main salt reels, and have several Shimano "baitrunners"

What I say to you is that I am right handed, and really like the "left hand" model..... One thing that helps with any "overrun" is to have the reel spool in a vertical position when casting as it helps with the backlash, and place the thumb on the spool rather than the line when applying the thumb for stopping. Good luck with getting what you want..... bayrunner ray

8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I love them pee-wee:tounge_out::smile2: I spool mine with 30lb ande and can handle what comes my way:eek:oooh: Soon as you learn how to set them to cast and watch em' fly your hooked:wink: and yes they are like Lay's tater chips ya can't own just one:eek:oooh:

9. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    they are great reels very easy clean ,and very durable ,gotta have bait cclicker for catfishing,,,,,,:big_smile::tounge_out::big_smile: gotta getcha one or two there greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttttttttttt

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

Jerry for that type of fishing you will need to step up to the 7000 or larger and you will be much happier with the results. I use 6500's for tournament fishing and just purchased 2 6600 c4's and I think I will like them also but wouldn't use them in heavy current either. I have 2 7000's and 1 9000 all on 14 ft. fenwick poles for heavy current fishing.

Peewee, If you have never used them then don't start:eek:oooh:, Step away now before it is to late:eek:oooh::smile2:. They are as addicting as any drug you can imagine:smile2:. I have 20+ poles rigged with either 6000's, 6500's c3's, 7000's, a 9000 and now 2 6600 c4's with probably 3 more on the way. Like Sam I run ande on all of them. 30 lb. on all except the 7000's and 9000 and I run 40lb on them. Also like Jerry mentioned it's a good idea to carry an extra worm gear and paw with you in your tackle box. It can come in handy and is an easy on the water repair.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Pee Wee I went for em as it seems unlikely they will be sold out as a company, re-disigned in plastic, new models every year; an I am so tired of reading "Made in China". Also I could look at one tore down and understand how everything works an fits together. Most things now aren't made to even be tore down all the way. Also I read so many reps here, an got to walking round the banks talking......Easy to understand an use. Quality. Like a good southern girl. Ya know southern girls don't sweat; they shimmer.
    :roll_eyes:

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Thanks all for the info.Does anyone know of any on line sites with all the technical info.?The official site is very limited in that department.Thanks to all.There does seem to be a lot to learn and I am trying to learn all that I can about all sizes and models.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

13. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Here's a little something I typed up in the past.

Gear Ratio

C3 = 5.3:1 gear ratio
    C4 = 6.1:1 gear ratio

7000C3 happens to be the exception in the C3 series with a 4.1:1 gear ratio

Line Capacity

First number in the model # represents size of the reel, or line capacity.

4500 = 10/170 (170 yards of 10lb mono)
    5500 = 12/205 (205 yards of 12lb mono)
    6500 = 14/245 (245 yards of 14lb mono)

Generally, the larger the number, the more line capacity

Push Button vs. Thumbar

The 2nd number in the model # represents the way you release the spool, either with a push button or a Thumb Bar.

The same reels listed above with a Thumb Bar would be 4600, 5600, 6600, etc.

Left or Right Hand

Reels that end in a '1' are left hand models, for example 7001 is a left handed Garcia 7000. Reels that end in a '0' are right hand models.

Thats the meat and potatoes of Garcia reel model #'s

**** For the gentleman that was having problems with his drag on a 6500, are you spooled with Superline? Did you use mono backing or wrap your spool with electrical tape before spooling on the superline? Superlines such as Spiderwire & PowerPro don't have enough friction to grab the spool on pretty much any reel unless you tape them on or use backing. I'm betting your drag is working fine, but your line is slipping on the spool. Very common mistake.

14. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    This is true, ive never known an abu drag to go that bad...

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Peewee I have Abu reels, and love my u will enjoy the 6000.

16. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    The drags are known to be poor. Some are worse than others though. My fishin partner bought a refurbished one and the drag doesn't provide very much resistance at all even when it is cranked down very tight. They act that way if you get oil in them or the wrong kind of grease. The 6500's really aren't made to provide that much drag pressure. The heaviest line stated on the reel is 17#? 14? They only really "need" to provide 1/3 of that much drag to live up to specs. The aftermarket drag washers really make a large difference. It is too bad the reels aren't being "made in sweden" anymore. I have never had a problem with a pawl wearing out. However, they don't like sand at all.

17. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Peewee
    When looking at reels on e-bay I have seen they sometimes include a little history on the Abu Garcia reel they are offering, if they can be believed. Luck

18. wpg_catfisher

wpg_catfisher New Member

State:
    manitoba
    i have a abu 6600 c4 i've been catfishin with it for the past 2 years and so far no problems at all. last year it was spooled with 30lb spiderwire but now it has 50lb spiderwire on it and i havent had any problems with not enough drag. its cought countles channel cats many topping 36" and all were in 3-5 knot current so i'd recomed an abu to anyone who wants to catfish

19. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a few different models and I think after trying a lot of different reels from different company's the ABU's are the easiest to cast without backlash and the easiest to take apart and clean. Another thing I would add is when I have called them for parts they were very helpful and real fast on getting me what I needed. I have bought a few older reels off the net and needed some parts...E-mailed them the model and serial number and I always got a schematic next day. In my opinion they have a great support system and care about their customers whether you bought the reel new or not.

20. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Pee Wee I did the bushings to bearings "upgrade" from the great article in the library on two of my 6000's, an I know lots of fellas would say it doesn't matter; but I noticed a real difference fishing them after. Longer cast an just smoother. I bought em off e-bay, so the lil extra money was there to pay for the bearings.
    :big_smile: