I Want A New Scope For My 270, Leupold Too Much $$$, What Are My Options?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by da-cajun-angla, Sep 18, 2006.

1. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I Want A Good Scope, But I Dont Want To Spend 7-800.00, Can I Get Some Info?
    Thanks Guys,
    Shaun

2. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    world-class tasco, 3x9 power . you will be happy!!!:big_smile:

3. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    Bushnell 3x9x40 dust to dawn cost about $99.00 at Bass Pro Shops or in their Catolog!

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Shaun, I just checked Bass Pro and you can get several different Leupold's for $500 or less. I can't afford those high dollar VX3's but you can get a VX2 for $350 and now they make a VX1 for $200. I think they make some really good scopes. I bought a Simmons Aetec for a couple hundred a few years ago and they are good but it ain't a Leupold.

st

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The Wal-mart super centers in our area are now carrying the Leupold scopes. The ones they sale are called Riflemans. The 3x9x40 is $199.93 the 4x12x40 is $249 and the 3x9x50 is $279. I would'nt skimp on the scope a good quality scope is a must in my opinion. I would'nt purchase anything besides a Leupold or a Burris.

6. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    you can buy the low end luepolds starting around 200 the burris starts at 200 too.i would rather buy a low end leupold or burris than a high end simmons or tasco.dont forget a good set of rings and base will cost you to,usually 50 or 60 bucks

7. charliep

charliep New Member

State:
    Texas
    Take a look at the Nikon scopes. Lotta bang for the buck
    charliep

8. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can get a nice burris 3-9 with a balistic plex often in a combo with either an 8 power bino or a 20 power spotting scope both of which are really nice for around 200. Cabelas and Bass Pro sell them for 219, I have not checked lately but Midway used to sell them for 194. I have this scope on my 270 and on my muzzleloader and I can say for the money you cannot do any better. JMO

9. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    I agree got a couple and never any problems

10. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    If your looking for a high quality scope with a very attrictive price I suggest you look at Sightron S1 3X9X40. I got one on top of my custom 6.5X55 and it's one the best scopes I've ever owned. Priced around 130.00 from Midway USA. Clear glass, great crosshairs, accurate adjustments. Do a search for Sightron and read about them. For the money your can't go wrong.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I cant see spending more on a scope than i did on the rifle Ive got Tasco world class and target/varmint on all of my rifles and I havevt been dissapointed yet

12. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    it dont matter how good of a gun you got if your scope is junk you aint gonna hit nothing.you get what you pay for.i have a burris and a leupold and that is all i will ever buy again

13. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I could never understand folks that spend 4 to 5 hundred or more on thier rifle and then hang cheap rings and and scope on it. You may get ONE shot at that trophy of a lifetime. Why lose it over a couple of hundred dollars.
    A long time ago a wise man told me to expect to spend at least as much on glass and mounts as I did on the rifle. I went my own way and over the years I bought a lot of cheap scopes and mounts. The ones that failed I got rid of and replaced at great expense with quality glass. Today if you open my safe you see all Leupolds. All but one are Vari X III's. Last year I set up a Savage smokeless muzzle loader with a Leupold 3x9 Vari X II and a set of Warne quick disconnect rings and bases. I thought the cost was very affordable and it is rock solid. The only scope I own that is not a Leupold is one Burris pistol scope I took in on a trade. It has not failed yet.

14. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    man I tell ya I have had the high dollar scopes{ Burris,Leupold} but for me I have always had good luck out of Bushnell,Simmons or even tasco. I have had a Simmons on a MM and not had any trouble at all, but I would invest in some good scope mounts.

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Im not trying to get an argument started here far from it its just that i think theres alot of lower income people like myself out there that just like me need to be able to get something that is a good value personally i wouldent even think of buying a gun for more than 500$ or buying a scope for it that cost more than 200$ but when you make less than 30,000 per year ya aint got too much left over to play with right?

16. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    Burris makes a great scope for the price. I have several and like them better than similar priced leupolds. Also check out the Zeiss Conquest line of scopes. They cost a little more but are worth it.