I want a fish fry!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Gibbzilla, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Okay, every trip I'll catch maybe 2 channels, 1 that will be about 4-5 pounds. I'll filet them and freeze them. I'm perfectly happy doing this, but I just once wish I could have a small fish fry without having to make 8 fishing trips. I usually use cut bluegill on a slip-bobber rig, and my dad uses worms, but he mostly catches bullheads, yellow bass, and bluegills. He'll catch maybe 1 channel every trip. I know there are abundant channels in my fishing hole, I just don't catch a whole lot. What rig and bait could I use on another catfish rig to catch a lot of channels in the 1-5 lb range? I'll still have my heavy duty rig with cut bait since once in a while I run onto a channel in the double-digit poundage range.

2. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    bigger bait and a bigger hook lol, i use whole anchovies sometimes, if you want bigger cats(thus bigger fillet), if you wanna catch more cats no matter what size, lots of dip bait

how many guests you will have at your fish fry depends on how many cats you need, id say 3 gallon bags would be more than enough for 10+ people, i figure a total of 15lbs of whole total fish would fill a gallon bag, so thats what 5 ,3 pounders...maybe even one fish :wink:, so theres my 2 cents

:0a26:

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    dip bait & chicken livers are the way to go.

4. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    i've always had really good results using shrimp, you can pick up a bag at kroger or meijer for 6 bucks or so, with 50-60 pieces, make sure you get uncooked with shell on

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I would use the same thing if after channel cats. Try several kinds of punch-stink bait to find the one that works the best. Chicken and turkey livers in many places work well also. Cut pieces of shad is another to try.
    Try several until you find what there wanting. I would use a carolina rig on the bottom.

6. rocko

rocko New Member

State:
    missouri
    find some catalpa worms, get a couple dozen and go have fun.you will catch more than you need. our last outing was over the 3rd and the 4th of july and we only fished for a total of six hrs and we caught over 80 channel. hope this helps

7. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    where can one find these worms?

8. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Buy plenty of punch bait if you want the numbers. You'll get the 6 to 8 pounders with it also. I suggest a number 4 treble.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
  10. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    i just got off the river here in iowa the des moiens i find brush piles log jams tie off just up from a log jam and throw some dip bait and just wait yall chach some fish

11. King Flats W'loo

King Flats W'loo New Member

State:
    iowa
    i would use stink bait,turkey liver or chicken liver works best for me under a weighted float . weighted floats gets you out there:boss:

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Danny Kings punch bait is what I'd use if your after the numbers on each trip. Blood or original is what works best for me. Just rig it carolina style and peg a small cigar float about 5 inches from the hook.

13. darinspawn

darinspawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    dip baits are good. hotdogs in liver blood works for me too.

14. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    You can find them at thebaitbarn.com. They come frozen but work just as well as alive ones. The worms do catch alot of fish. Dip baits work real well also. I like Sonny's and Doc's.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Livers and Worms works well.