I want a copy of khale

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by gearhead, Oct 10, 2007.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    What other brand or design is very simular to a 7/0 khale i don't want a circle just looking for a sharper copy of the khale.

2. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Hi,
    there are a lot of hooks that are Khale but not called Khale.. and more that fall between khale and Circle.. some leaning more towards the khale design and some leaning more towards the circle design.. you'r just oging to have to sort through some of the marketing BS to find one that works for you.

Some hooks that I like and work for me are by Gamakatsu;
    Check out the Up Eye Shiner, the straight eye shiner for hooks that lean heavily towards the Khale and the Live Bait HD for a hook that falls nicely between the Khale and circle.. in fact the Gama Live Bait HD is a favorite of mine for fresh and saltwater.

Matzuo makes an interesting Octopus hook that is closer to the Khale than a traditional "octo" hook with right angle style bends instead of an open radius.. Never used the Matzuo.. so can't vouch for them, but worth a look.

VMC makes a hook that's more like a wide gap circle.. of course leaning towards the circle design but with khale traits.. the 8383BN and 8382TR..

TruTwis makes a true khale.. however I've been told trutwist is just a label owned by Eagle Claw... and therefor you'd be just getting another Eagle Claw Khale.. but it might be different enough to satisfy your needs.

If your not into the circle hook craze but love the "self hooking theory" look into the Gamakatsu In-Line Octopus hooks.. very nice hooks.. but then again I am bias towards Gamakatsu hooks.. :big_smile:

Now for the grand finale... lol.. Owner makes an awesome khale.. yes it's an actual Khale, not a variation.. but they have to re-name it since Eagle Claw holds the right's to "Khale" I'm told.. so to keep it simple.. Owner call's it the "K-hook"..
    If I didn't want an Eagle Claw hook *and I DON'T* and I had to have a true Khale.. I'd go with the Owner K-hook..

Hope's this helps :big_smile:

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Hi i guess my two cents you can try the Gamakatsu Wide Gap. I have used them before(sparingly). Also the Mustad Wide Gap both are nearly identical to Eagle Claws Kahle I have never used the Mustad version.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive used the king kayle in 10/0 and i find them to be a pretty sharpe hook rite out of the package.using a file or stone to sharpin them weakens the point and cause it to roll or curl over.i like the gamas in octopus circle for all my float fishing cause they almost always set themselves.im going to try some new hooks for fshing tight line on bottom called sickle hooks.one of the boc sponsers,gene chambers has these on his web site,they feel as sharpe as any hook i have had my hands on.

5. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Johnnie,
    Not familiar with the mentioned Sponsor, but the "Sickle" hooks are a Matzuo line. In fact the Octopus hook I mentioned above by Matzuo is from their Sickle line...

I tend to prefer hooks with thicker shanks, and one of the key perks to the Matzuo Sickle is that the design is intended to allow for a thinner hook stock material while maintaining hook strength and integrity:
    The Sickle Live Bait Hook(and/or the Wide gap Shiner) is basically a khale, and would be great for hooking live shiners through the lips since it's a lighter hook, with thinner wire.

The Options on hook's are ever so endless...

6. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I currently use a 6/0 gamakatsu oct. circle when I drift but a 7/0 khale when I anchor up. I have snapped a couple and some new in the box the tips are bent ,I love that style I just want better quality.

7. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Well I would post a couple pic's for your viewing pleasure.. if the server would avoid timing out... 5 tries later and still not able to get a single image to load...:angry:

If your just wanting stronger, sharper Khale than the Eagle Claw.. you would do well by ANY of the higher end hooks.

I don't think you could hardly go wrong with the Gamakatsu Shiner or he Owner K-Hook. Since these are two of the finest hooks made (IMHO)

Bacardipr05 mentioned Mustad.. and I honestly forgot about them.. I rank mustad right up there with Eagle Claw.. so I never use them.. BUT the good news is they two have a true Khale. It's called the "Hollow Point Wide Gap" Hook #37140 and they do offer a 7/0 version.
    Many of the above hooks stop at 6/0... but I wouldnt let that discourage me from using one hook size down.. I doubt they will break anywhere near as easily as the 7/0 Eagle Claw.

8. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Well I would post a couple pic's for your viewing pleasure.. if the server would avoid timing out... 5 tries later and still not able to get a single image to load...:angry:

If your just wanting stronger, sharper Khale than the Eagle Claw.. you would do well by ANY of the higher end hooks.

I don't think you could hardly go wrong with the Gamakatsu Shiner or he Owner K-Hook. Since these are two of the finest hooks made (IMHO)

Bacardipr05 mentioned Mustad.. and I honestly forgot about them.. I rank mustad right up there with Eagle Claw.. so I never use them.. BUT the good news is they two have a true Khale. It's called the "Hollow Point Wide Gap" Hook #37140 and they do offer a 7/0 version.
    Many of the above hooks stop at 6/0... but I wouldnt let that discourage me from using one hook size down.. I doubt they will break anywhere near as easily as the 7/0 Eagle Claw.

9. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    What model number 7/0 are you using? I use the L142f nickel 7/0 Eagle Claw kahles and have never had any trouble with them.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with Griz, I use the eagle claw kahle hooks and have never had a problem with them breaking. A word of warning do not buy the bronze eagle claw hooks they will bend,rust and break way to easy.

I use the same hooks that Griz does the L142F-5/0 6/0 and 7/0 and they are all nickle plated kahles. I also use L141BPF-8/0 9/0 and 10/0 and they are Black Pearl King Kahles and have never had any of them fail.

I have also been using and experimenting with circle hooks and by far the worst circle i have tried is the eagle claw. After trying several different types and sizes the one that i have decided to use when i use circles is the Gamakatsu Octopus in a 8/0 size. I've tried this hook with a straight eye and an upturned eye and the upturned eye catches more fish. Manufacturer # 208418. Owner also makes a good circle hook.

12. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I buy them in 50 qty packs at bass pro I dont know the # right off hand ,I have only had one fail ,I still use them just was wanting to try another brand thats all. But I like that style hook.

13. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Jeremy
    If you're just looking for something new, in the same hook (design and size) I'd highly recommend the Owner K. Not so much because it is "the greatest, super, wonder hook" but just because Owner is an excellent hook in general, they are ridiculous sharp and very resilient to acidic or brackish waters.

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Man, you are on a roll, LOL!!! That's three times in a row saying the same thing, you must really mean it, LMAO!!!!!

15. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    That's clearly a technical problem with overloaded (slow) servers... happens on every message board I've ever been on (and I'm on a lot) ... it's hard enough getting one post to go through intentionally, let a lone three back to back...

But thanks for your contribution to the thread/topic:roll_eyes:

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Heres another option. Owner Mutu Light. They also make a heavier model. Kind of like a cross between a circle and a kahle.

Attached Files:

17. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    The Mutu is an excellent hook as well.. I love the ringed Mutu personally.. However it's more kin to the circle than the Kahle... cant go wrong with any of the Owner hooks really..

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    You use the ringed version for the salt? I only ask because I grew up in So. Cal and spent 20 years there fishing the salt before I moved to Lost Wages. Once I got landlocked my hook selection changed. I was actually the first person here that used circles, I had them in my tackle box from L.A.

19. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I like ringed hooks for fresh and salt.. in fact when the eye's are big enough on smaller hooks I'll use a split ring.

I don't' know maybe it's my imagination.. but I feel like when using live bait/live lining the ringed hook allows the bait a little more freedom to move. Also when using cut bait, it seems that there is more natural movement with the current or tides when the hook and bait are technically "free moving".

I used to use a rapala knot for the same effect.. but the ringed hook with a S.D. Jam Know or Imp. Clinch is much easier to deal with.