I want a blue Catfish!

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by FWFeecherman, Aug 6, 2006.

1. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey all! Hope you are all well. I am new to the site and thanks for all the welcomes I recieved. I have caught plenty of channels and some nice flatheads, but I have never hooked a blue before. I live in Ft. Wayne so Im pretty sure I haven't caught any due to the location. I hear there are blues in the White river. Anybody know any other places I could try and catch my first blue? I was thinking of the OH river as well. I have a boat, but I really like to fish for cats from shore. I dont know if this is possible on the OH though. Any help or suggestions? Tight Lines and Screamin clickers to ya!!

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah there are blues in the White River.. Thats what i mainly fish... But the only blues i have caught this year was at a ******* in Waverly Indiana... but From whats going through the site is that the Ohio is producing some huge blues and flatheads right now.... I dont have a boat but i would fish the Ohio from shore... no problem for me.... But eagle Creek Resivoir has some Blues and Flatheads in it.... And theres always Lake Monroe....... But i have mainly caught my Blues out of the White River off large sandbars..... well i hope this helps in some way..... good luck

3. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Shane. That does help. I just keep seeing all of these pictures of blues and they are huge. I just want to see what its like to hold a blue that could swallow my leg! I have made the trip to the White one time, but really struck out hard. Water was really low and not being familiar with the area made it hard to work from shore. Whats your biggest blue from the white?

4. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    About 13 lbs... Caught it just North of the Waverly public access site and boat ramp..... on none other then a piece of White tiger Shrimp..

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    The Blues are turning on in the Ohio River, FINALLY! The Blue bite is getting hot and will continue until Novemberish. We have been catching them by drifting. Sometimes 3-4 rods will go down with blues. Anchoring has been a little more sketchy as they are in scattered schools right now, gotta go find them! Our biggest lately is 28 pounds. If you want to fish for blues from bank I would suggest the dams. I have only fished Markland Dam but alot of nice blues come from it. If you have a boat, bring it! The blues like deeper water and swifter current, you'll need to cast 75 yards or more for them from bank. Let me know if you need any more help with the Ohio, I'll be glad to share! Tight Lines.

6. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks guys. I have a 14 ft Starcraft semi v boat. Would it be safe to fish the OH river with it? I dont want to get myslef in a situation that might be dangerous. I love to fish, but not enough to lose my boat or worse. Any suggestions here. My motor is a 25 horse Johnson and I have a 45lb thrust trolling motor. I figure I would need some good size anchors also. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks and tight lines and screamin clickers to ya!!

7. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Im Moving... Im just to far from the Ohio River...lol...

8. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    the ohio river has some nice blues in it. DH catches alot of them. i also caught 3 one night about a month ago out of the ohio. as far as i can tell, they really like cut skipjack and shad.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    welcome to the boc bevaun. looks like shane answered your question on locals. you could also catch a channel and hold his gills shut till he turns blue. lol

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    a 14 foot boat would be fine everywhere except maybe the tailraces of the dams. They can get pretty sketchy and a 14 foot would make me nervous. But everywhere it would be more than enough. As for anchors, I use 10 pound mushroom anchors and they work fine. I anchor one off the front of the boat with about twice as much line out as I am deep (so in 30 feet of water i let out roughly 60). Once this catches and I am anchored straight back in the current, I drop one straight down off the back with only about 1 foot of slack. The whole purpose of this one is to keep me from swinging. The front one keeps me anchored and the back one just keeps me in place when a barge/big boat goes by. You can also turn your motor some and it will act like a rudder in the current, straightening you. But I would head down this way in about 3 weeks and get onto some of those monster blues! good luck!

11. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Skimax! I really appreciate the info. Is there a certainm launch you would recommend? Tight lines and screamin clickers to ya!

12. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    lots of people like Tanners Creek Ramp in Lawerenceburg. Alot of people also like the ramp in Madison. I do not fish much farther down the river than this. I have heard that down around louiseville the blues are much more common, maybe somebody from that area will have some info. I am just not sure. I usually launch outa Arnolds Creek in Rising Sun though.

13. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Bevaun, I have a 14 foot starcraft semi-V with a 15 Johnson on it. I have been fishing the Ohio for two years at least once or twice a week in it. I have been a little leary once or twice with someone with me, but as long as I'm by myself I have never worried. Keep it simple. I weigh 150 soaking wet and it will run out at about twenty with just me and my gear, go adding a fishing partner and a bucket or two of live bait and tackle and gear and you better start watching your butt. I try to anchor nose upriver and then turn the motor so the tail will swing away from the barge lane. My boat has a 15 inch transom and that is where you will be most vulnerable. Protect the transom and you should do fine. Barges can put off a mean wake, but large pleasure craft, house boats and paddlewheels are by far the worst I've encountered. Good luck and tight lines. Vern

14. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the great info guys. Vern, I weigh 315 lbs exrtremly dry :lol: , so Im still a little leary of the OH with my rig. I think Im going to give it a shot though before the summer is out. Tight Lines and Screamin Clicker to ya!!!

15. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Went out for a while tonight. Fished some deep water and picked up 3 blues. They ranged from 5-12 pounds. Nothing big, but oh well. Also fished towards bank and picked up a couple 4 pound flatheads. We caught the blues on shad with the two smaller ones coming off whole shad and the biggest one off of cut bait. Both flatheads came off small shad, whole. Hope ya get into some blues!

16. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats on the catch man. Now I have motor trouble with my boat so it might be later in the fall when I get to get on the OH. Figures. I am about as handy as a parapalegic with tools and motors, and Im broke as heck so I doubt I'll be getting the motor fixed for a little while. Glad you got some. Tight Lines and Screamin CliCkers to ya!!!