I want a 270 made by ?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by FishMan, Aug 26, 2006.

1. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am considering buying a 270, How about some recommendations Please.
    I am after value for dollar and something I can be proud to hand down.

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hey Fishman! If you are looking to save money a Savage or Winchester will be best to me. Both companies bolt action rifles shoot great. If you are looking for less recoil then try to get a semi-auto. Bolt action has alot more recoil. Browning makes a great semi-auto, a little expensive, though. Really, you can't go wrong with a Remington. They make great guns and are less expensive than Browning. Remington has both bolt action and semi-automatic guns. They hold value good, also. That is just my opinion. Hope that helps!!

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've got a Ruger .270 with a Leupold VXII scope, stainless with synthetic stock. Awesome gun! Minute of angle shooting right out of the box, with best groups of 1/2" at 100 yards.

4. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Anything handed down from you will be special . It comes from you . I have a no name shotgun my father gave me and it means as much to me as a Perazzi would .

5. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    You can't go wrong with a Ruger. Anything Bill Ruger makes they stand behind. My second choice would be a Remington. These are the best medium
    priced guns. But a Sako if you really want a class act but you sure will pay for
    it.
    Bill

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have a browning stainless a bolt in 270. best shooting gun ive ever shot. ive shot weatherbys, remingtons, and rugers. they will all get the job done but i just love this browning for the tight groups on the target range. i have several guns that my dads passed down to me and i have already passed them to my son when he gets old enough. i will add this a bolt for my son when i die!!!!:big_smile:

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Fishman I really enjoy the Ruger. My brother has a Savage that he likes. As for guns to pass down the family line the name really doesn't matter. Its the memories that the gun brings back to mind from the time spent together while using the gun. I too have a few of my fathers and grandfathers guns some are name brand some are not, that doesn't change the memories are the feelings that the memories bring.

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know what you mean about the name for handing down. My dad left me a 410 bolt action shotgun that is tub feed. It has the stevens name and savage arms both stamped into the steel, it is a model 59A it was sold by western auto and still has the price sticker on it. $34.95 It has only been shot 2 times.
    I don't know much about it or what it might be suited for but it means a lot to me because it was handed down. I bought a box of shells and am going to give it a go, I'm sure it will kill a gallon milk jug.

9. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i would say savage first with winchester or ruger as a second choice.:smile2:

10. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would personally lean toward the Winchester in the .270 cal.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Danny,make sure you only shoot 2 1/2 inch 410 shells in that gun unless it states 3 inch on the barrel.Nothing means a 2 1/2 chamber on a 410.A 3 inch shell can create a lot of pressure in the older guns that have 2 1/2 inch 410 chambers.As for the rifle.I once had over 50 guns.All were different.I would try all that I could for fit and natural pointing while wearing a very heavy coat such as you may wear hunting..When hunting,you will seldom be shooting in a firing range position.See how the gun points in every awkward position that you may have to fire it in.I have found "FIT and a natural line up on target fire arm of any kind to be better than any specific brand or caliber.You can kill far more Big Game with a 22 long rifle that you are accurate with than a magnum that you do not shoot accurately.I have taken as many as 17 center fire rifles of different brands that I owned and was familiar with to shoot at one time at a range.Many of my most accurate when sand bagged and shot correctly,were not my most accurate awkward,any direction,hunting position rifles.I had from a custom made and fitted to me and engraved with my name in Gold KDF Kliengunther with a 4x12x56 Swarovski scope in 300 Weatherby mag.to a break open 22 hornet.At times a old bolt action 30-30 savage carbine with open sights was one of the best in my book.Check out all of the used guns along with the new,and then go buy what you want.Never buy a gun that don;t feel right to you.It will only get worse not better unless you are willing to spend a lot of money customizing it to you.In my youth,many hunted with surplus military rifles that worked fine.They had to be good.A man's life depended on them.I still love them.You are going to wet,bang up and scratch a hunting rifle sooner or later if you hunt with it.As you have noticed.Different people like different guns.What he or I like may not be right for you.luck.peewee-williams

12. FROG

FROG New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    I have a CHURCH HILL 270 and I had never heard of it before I bought it but got it for a good price and have never been more happier with any rifle other than this one.

13. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Danny, You didn't state what kind of action you were seeking. I have a Remington model 760 that I have had since about 1973. It is pump action like my shotgun, and has served me well since I've had it. It is topped with a Leoupold scope and as the old saying goes, "it shoots where it looks".

14. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    The rifle I carried for years was a Remington 700 BDL in .270.....it was the most accurate rifle out of the box I ever owned. I have always been fond of a wooden stock....and those were purdy.....LOL.

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think a bolt action, I also like wood but I may go with syn. on this purchase.

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Please let us know what you get and how you like it.I hope you find that "Perfect" rifle for you.I use to like to sleep with a new rod,reel or gun just to get a rise out of my wife.Now she would get a little "antsy" when I would start to bring a new outboard or try to bring a new boat through the door."You ain;t putting that thing in my bed" was often heard in our home.Peewee-williams

17. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i would look at WEATHERBY or Benelli R1

thats me though

you will have 20 different oppinions on which gun to buy

get a good shooter.... which people arent gonna reccomend crap guns

Jeff

18. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    Shot a savage for many years now and not one problem with it.

19. Rickb6959

Rickb6959 New Member

State:
    Clayton NC
    I think it would be hard to beat a Savage for the money. They shoot very good out of the box. And are tuff as nails.

20. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I've got several friends who've bought the Savage rifles the last couple of years and they like'm, Remmingtom 700 or Winchester 70 are good rifles, too, but I'm a Ruger 77 fan all the way, everyone's different in what they like, but a Ruger model 77 fits and feels better for me than anything else.