i wanna build a boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by snoman774, Mar 22, 2008.

1. snoman774

snoman774 New Member

State:
    fouke,ar
    hey guys i just got my first boat a couple months ago its a 87 monark 15' with 88 johnson 25 hp console steer. really all i could afford at this point in time but heres the problem i am married with four kids under 10 yrs old.i would really like to at least be able to take everyone and a couple more. so i thought maybe i could find an old pontoon to rebuild or maybe build pontoon or barge/raft type boat from scratch.would not be interested in speed or performance just as long as it didnt take all day to go a few miles more concerned about saftey with so many young kids and a wife who swims like a rock. anyway ideas or suggestions please

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    hi and welcome to the BOC. there have been a few members who rebuilt pontoons and they have the pics and what all the did to them posted around here somewhere (i've been gone for awhile) i think its all in the library. check it out you could be suprised.

3. snoman774

snoman774 New Member

State:
    fouke,ar
    hey john yeah ive read some of the rebuilds on pontoons and thought they were real interesting but kinda wondering would wide flat bottom barge maybe be more stable,bouyant also funds are really the biggest problem right now

4. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    as for the money crunch, yup know all about it. as for stability between pontoons and barge setups. not sure. i've been on a pontoon i my 250lb didn't make it list when i walked around it.

5. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
  6. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've owned quite a few boats. I buy beaters and fix up. I currently have a 26' pontoon project going. My advice is buy a pontoon in need of work. Building from scratch will kill your wallet. The are a lot of small things to purchase. As long as you don't have too many soft spots on the deck or pontoons leaking there's not much to go wrong. You can buy a complete set of furniture for $2K. There are always people wanting to get rid of boats. Unfortunately the best time is winter not spring. I've also stopped and asked when I've seen a boat not move for several years.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Don't know about Ky but in Tn you can not use barrels on anything not even a dock.
    So I would check into that part.
    Pete

8. jdbuckshot

jdbuckshot New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Barrels are asking for it any way, eventually they will sink, or the frame holding them together will wear out.

9. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Took on a rebuild project last year and i'm almost done with it! To think it won't cost much is a wrong way to think. Now I've gone the extra mile on mine and added stuff that most people wouldn't think of but still its all the little stuff that has added up. For what I've invested I could of bought a close to new boat but is sure would not be setup the way that I want it. I have pics but holding off until its finished.

If you want ideas on what to do with it, shoot me a pm, i'll be glad to share my experiences.

10. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    HI Folks
    I have always had a interest in making a nice Wooden boat, I think It would be great to make a boat like you sea sea going fisherman use. Large work area, inclosed cab, Strong engine to run it and subsystems. Laminated to be water proof.

They are not cheap, getting worse with the increase of fuel. Boy those teak decks look great!