I use chicken, what else works good?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by TheIrishApprentice, Nov 2, 2006.

1. TheIrishApprentice

TheIrishApprentice New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Lately me and Chris(IrishO'Brady) have been using cut up chicken. It works great everytime. I'm just trying to find some other baits to try out and see what happens. Any advice helps, thanks.

2. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    shad, skipjack, bream. Alive and cut. Also cut carp I hear works well tho Ive never tried it. These are common baits people use for chasing big blues...
    Im sure some others have reccomendations on this?

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    are ya fishin for blues, channels, or flats? Lake, river, or pond?

what size ya lookin for, eaters, or records?

4. TheIrishApprentice

State:
    Georgia
    I'm fishing mainly for blues in lakes and rivers. Leaning more towards record size catfish.

5. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey Jason is the chicken raw or cooked.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Crayfish is a real good bluecat bait:big_smile:

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Try some good old fashioned chicken guts - catfish are not immune to those treats.

8. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    I mainly use live bream and live and cut shad but mostly live bream, my favorite.

But I really am interested in this raw chicken breast. Do you catch any big blues on pieces of chicken breast? And what size pieces do you use?

9. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    The possibilities are endless when it comes to catfish bait, I prefer gills, goldfish, or shad. Regardless it needs to be fresh. good luck and good fishing:cool2:

10. drifter106

drifter106 Member

State:
    kansas
    For us around here in se kansas a lot depends on the season simply due to availability of bait. My first choice of course would be using shad starting around the middle of June and going into the fall. Early spring we use crappie guts and eggs...wow!!! Fact of the matter is any type of intestine is benifical when it comes to these cats. Heck we even have done well on catfish eggs and guts. For a few years we were stuck on using chicken blood. Had to go all the way to Oklahoma to get the blood. Last time we went I took 3 50 gal barrels (two for the bait shop and 1 barrel for fishing buddy and myself). Took us a long time to work it up but it was well worth it.

Crawdads are great in the spring (cats are looking for them). Livers are good especially when we are working the spillways. Grain is great to chum with but its down right nasty to work with. Last but not least the winter time favorite for some is the stink bait or shad guts. Haven't used them in years for during that time we are chasing the crappies.

hope this helps...

drifter

11. TheIrishApprentice

State:
    Georgia
    The chicken is raw, boneless, chicken breast with rib meat.

12. TheIrishApprentice

State:
    Georgia
    Yeah me and chris both caught our personal best on raw chicken breast. Thats usually all we use, and we average around 15-20 lbs. in the cats that we catch. I wiuld recommend trying the chicken and I'm going to try the shad and brim next time we go out. Hope this helps. Oh and cut the chicken into 2-3 inch long triangles or squares. Give em' hell.

13. TheIrishApprentice

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the info guys. This will help alot and I'm going to try everything to see what works best where we are. But thank and happy fishing to all.
    "If you believe, you shall receive"

14. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    If Im goin by myself, I take livers, stinkbait, and night crawlers. Sometimes some cheesy hotdogs too. When I take my son, I get him alot of night crawlers and let him catch my bait while I use stink bait or livers. When my son catches a mess of blue gills, Ill use them for either cut bait, or live. Depends on the weather and time of year. I will stick with one bait for at least an hour, maybe longer. But if dont get me even a bite, I switch up.

Kenny

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    chicken livers and minnows works!

16. CatswithBats

CatswithBats New Member

State:
    Cali
    Frog legs!!!! They work very well

17. CatswithBats

CatswithBats New Member

State:
    Cali
    Frog legs!!!! They work very well Oh ya and frozen smelt. U can find the, at ur locla grocery store like whole foods or andronicos.

18. jayjordan

jayjordan New Member

State:
    texas
    Bacon works really well almost as soon as it hits the water they start biting

19. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I use carp for big blues. I use the filets, and use the entire gut pack and put it in a panty hose hooked on a 10/0 king kahle hook. This will catch some beasts. I have also used entire carp heads, from carp up to 2 lbs. I use raisin bran balls to catch the carp. Here is how I make it:

I use Raisin Bran beleive it or not as a back-up bait. I put it in a zip-loc bag with some lake water. Mush it up drain the liquid. Add some more flakes mush together until a playdoed texture. Roll it into a ball and put on desired hook, preferrably a small treble hook. Don't go far from your' rod. I have caught blues, flattys, channels and carp on this recipe. This is the perfect go to bait when all else fails. It will catch something! :big_smile: