I usaully use mono, But I have a idea.

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Junior42, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I thought about using mono as my regular basic line and using braided as a leader since they stuff is almost impossable to break. Let me get your opinion on this.:wink:

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Most folks do it the other way around,,, use the mono for the leader, as it has more abrasion resistance, for the business end of stuff,,,,
    Also, if you get hung up, the idea is to break off the mono towards the terminal end, so as not to cut off a bunch of the more expensive braid,, which is real hard to break!!

3. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I never thought about all that. The idea just popped in my head and I was just curious about what anybody thought. Thanks for your opinoin.

4. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I tried the same thing, and didn't like the results. Mono is much more abrasion resistent at the business end. With the braid the knot would wear out after a short time of drifting, and I would have to retie. I now use 25 pound mono with a 50 pound mono leader, I like this combo the best. The braids are great for many applications, but I like mono for circle hooks, and also like the stretch in mono. My kids fish with me a lot and the stretch allows for more mistakes to be made. JMO

5. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Thanks for the opinion. I will just probly stick with the mono on mono. lol

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, I hear you,, My basic setup is 30# mono,, I run it directly to my hook, I have a weight on a sacrifice leader (12-24") tied onto a swivel and clip that over the main line,, the mainline can feed through the swivel when a fish takes the bait,, It's worked real well for me,, and, very simple...Using a leader may save a bit of mono if I get hung up, but, I don't worry about that too much....

7. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    thats a great method. that way theres no need to retie any leader when snagged. :smile2:

8. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I gonna have to try that.

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Let us know how you like that method,,
    Several members here stated that they didn't like that idea at all. The main problem with it being,, if you do get snagged up a bunch, and keep cutting line off, after awhile, there won't be much left on the spool..Also, especially with Braid, a swivel will prevent the line from twisting up and creating problems,, Hasn't been a big issue for me, except with braid,, so, I'm getting away from that stuff.
    I usually have way more rods and reels with me than I can use, and if I do run one low, I just grab another,,, I, also, carry a spool or two of line, in case I need to re-spool anything while I am fishing,, it has happened,,, especially the way I cast!!!:eek:oooh:
    I've also been known to tie another piece of line onto the one getting short,, Depends on the particular rod I'm using and if the guide eyes satisfy me that they'll allow the knot to slip through fairly easily
    The main reason I went to the direct method is that I had a lot of failures with swivels and such, and just decided to eliminate that aspect,, I've used the system I described for over 20 years,, Nothing is perfect, but, it works for me, Good luck

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea these guys have it right, never use braid for your leader. Lots of us have done it but it doesn't work. Stick with braid for mainlines only then the mono leader.

Be weary of light braid , anything under 50# mainline I have trouble with it cutting.

Play around with rigs and see what works best for you,,,,g'luck out there and let us know how ya do.

-Jim-

11. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I have already rigged it up. I am going to use this rig the next time I go out and I will surely let you know how I like it. Thanks!

12. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Thanks.