I tryed a new high water spot

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by chubbahead, Jun 9, 2006.

1. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I tryed a new spot on the GMR tonight that I had scouted out over the winter. I have been meaning to hit it for a while but never got the chance. I fished from around 6:45 til 9:10. The channel action was non stop. I lost count somewhere around 8 or 9 fish, but I must have caught at least 15. They were all fatties, nearly all of them going between 5 and 8 pounds. The only thing that kept me from catching more was the fact that I ran out of bait. I'll try to attach some pics in the morning, it is telling me I need to resize them. I need to be at work for that.

If any of the regulars are out on the GMR tonight, I'm predicting someone to hit a 30 plus pound flathead. The fish were really moving tonight. I was wishing the whole time out that I had some live bait.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats great news. I was thinking of trying a high water area too. I am real glad to hear that you got into them. Just how high is the river? Is it fishable from boat at all?

3. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was wishing while I was out that I could be in a boat anchored about 30 yards upstream. Where I was fishing, you would of had no problems in a boat. However, the one boat ramp I passed was closed. So apperently, someone thought it was unsafe.

Here a few pics of my first few channels. After I caught these, I decided no more pics unless I get something worth it. These were all taken on my cell phone. I'm not sure how good they will be. Does anyone know a good way to take a pic on a cell phone when by yourself. I haven't figured one out yet. By the way Brian, do you recognize that abu 6000? :smile2:

Attached Files:

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like you had a good trip. i have re-discovered the joys of channel fishing this year myself.

5. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats great news man

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    some nice fish you got there, good job

7. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio

Channel fishing can be a blast. Especially when they are hitting on every cast and you can't even use two poles. I can't lie though, every bite I get, I am hoping I accidently catch a flathead. I say accidently because I am targeting channels because the flatheads are few and far between where I have been fishing the past few years. I have been moving a little further south on the GMR though(not even to the west carrollton dam yet). It's just a matter of time before I start keeping a bait tank again. It's strange to me, I used to have a bait tank that was 6X4X4 foot. I could keep bluegills and bullheads alive throughout a whole summer if I didn't use them all. It's just a matter of time before it all comes back. I am definately feeling an itch. I am going to scratch it sooner or later. Sorry to rant.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dude, there are big flatties up your way as well. not as many, but they are there.

9. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    sounds like you found a really nice spot. I need to try the GMR sometime. I hope you don't always leave those reels in the mud, or atleast clean them out really well once a year. good luck fishin.......

10. dad

dad New Member

State:
    west virginia
    sounds like you had a great and very busy trip.

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I can't believe they would close down the boat ramps down there. Come up on the Muskingum, you can put your boat in no matter how high the water is. If you can hack it they say go for it. LOL

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    OH man the river was horrible no way could you have put anything in there.

Here is a pic I found on my computer either from earlier this year or last year, dont know for sure which one.