I tried using a Jug

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by deadly_legend, Oct 19, 2008.

1. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    and i got some movement on it, but i dont know if i did it right or not...since i dont have a boat to take out and check them, i kinda just tied it to a tree and let alot of line out and let it float, and it was pretty cool, i like it. Only thing that went wrong was the first time i tied it, it came off the line, and floated away haha, i caught it back though. is there anything i should do? or shouldnt be doing or anything?

ALSO, i used the same line (its 115lb line btw, its more of a rope lol) and tied one to a tree and baited it and tossed it out, and another to a tree root,( i tested to see if it would come out), and tossed it out aswell and im checking them tomorrow after school, was that a good or bad idea? no one that i can tell goes fishing down at that spot, since its at the creek.

Thanks for any input.:big_smile:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The main thing I would recommend is adding some kind of shock absorber. With your current setup, if a good sized cat gets on the line, it can get a solid pull. To use a piece of old inner tube or a bungee cord, first see how far you canen stretch it, using all your strength. Make a mental note of how far you were able to stretch it. Then, a foot or two from where you have the end tied off, attach one end of the bungee cord; add the length of the bungee cord to the distance you were able to stretch it, and attach the other end of the bungee cord to the line at that point. That will give you maximum stretchability, but should the bungee cord break, the mainline is still intact.

3. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    thanks for the tip, i will be sure to find some bungee cord and set it up that way, thank you very much!

what would be the best bait aswell, its a slow moving creek that isnt all that deep, if at all, and ive been using dip bait and turkey liver, thats what i have out there right now, on the tree and root line. what would you use?

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Catch you some small baitfish from the creek, such as bream, suckers, mudcats, etc. Be sure to check the regs for your state to make sure you don't use anything illegal!

5. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    alright, thank you very much :smile2:

6. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    have to say use shad or bluegills as these will stay alive and swim well and they dont just fall off the hook or dissapate into the water like your dipbait will good luck and let us know how it goes

7. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Sounds to me like you were doing it right. With the advice you got from jtrew you can't go wrong. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    well whats the report? did you try it again?

9. 10uhcplz

10uhcplz New Member

State:
    Jackson Tenness
    Josh....the only problem I see here is.....one jug!!!!! Save up!!!!! By a cheap boat ....one with just a paddle if you have to at first. Get you a bunch of juggs.......have yourself a BIG TIME!!!!!

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Josh, if nothing else, find someone giving away an old boat with the insides rotted out, but with the fiberglass hull still good. Yes, there are people around who will let you have a boat free if you will haul it off their property. Cost way too much in time and money to fix it up. So, rip everything out and fish from the hull. I had one at Lake Atkins, Arkansas for a couple of years, chained to a tree. Saved me from having to tow my jonboat over, launch it, run my lines, load my jonboat back up, and tow it back home. All I had to do was set a battery inside, attach my small TM, and go run my lines. Unfortunately, some kids decided that it would be great fun to throw some big rocks through the bottom. I towed it out with my jonboat and sunk it where I wanted a fish attractor.

11. 10uhcplz

10uhcplz New Member

State:
    Jackson Tenness
    And that my friend is how you turn a curse in to a blessing.....and I would imagine that old boat is still responsible for catching fish today.