I tried to eat a gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by BenNewt, Sep 9, 2009.

1. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well, trying to clean one of those was a story withing itself...I'm going to leave that one alone.

I got a decent fillet-o-gar and tried:

1. grilling with butter baste
    2. boiling in crab boil

both methods produced a rubbery almost inedible chunk of meat. I've read and saw videos on You Tube of people swearing that this fish is good to eat. Am I gullible? Did I do something wrong?

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    umm.. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!:eek:oooh:

I have never ever heard of anyone eating a gar.. I think someone was pulling your leg... ew.. I just threw up in my mouth a little:crazy: LOL.. J/K

i think I would be putting a gar in their mailbox on a hot day.. Tell them they can eat it... LOL

3. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I cant for the life of me understand why you cooked it like that:confused2:

all you have to do is fry it like regular old catfish, and yes it is good.

bill.

4. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    BenNewt, you are one sick individual! Next you'll be trying carp sushi or dogfish bisque.

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Now I can speak from experience those bowfin make good cakes:big_smile:

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I can't say as I have never eaten one myself,But my father in law has ,He said fry it up like cat and its darn good,till it gets COLD.:wink: I plan on keeping a longnose the next time I get one in OK just to see for myself.

7. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I've eaten almost every kind of fish I've ever caught, including creek chubs, carp (which I could never get to taste good until I smoked them), bowfin, but never a gar. This is a funny post :big_smile:.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < carp (which I could never get to taste good until I smoked them)>

How big of a rolling paper or pipe does it take to smoke a carp? I remeber the Cheech and Chong album that had the giant rolling paper in it. That may work? :wink:

Bill in SC

10. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Terry,
    Just doesent sound good with vannila iceing on top eather...:eek:oooh:

Ive heard the same stories "tast just like lobster" thanks for trying it out so I dont have to now,, :wink:
    Puddle

11. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The only way to cook a gar is just like any other fish.... Fry it up. And yes they are good till they get cold, then they get a little rubbery.

12. SnagHatr76

SnagHatr76 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Never tried it and probably wont but thanks for the entertaining post

13. shadowman

shadowman New Member

State:
    nc
    i have never tried it but a friend of mine eats them when he can can catch them but then again he eats alot of strange things.

14. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have cooked car before it was quite tasty. We fried it tho. It took me forever to clean the darn thing tho. But now with that one under my belt it wont take no time to do next time. But gar is good you should try it again before you give up on it

15. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Years ago, my husband took some gar meat, after alot of work cleaning & removing from the bones!, chopped it up real fine, & mixed it up like salmon patties & fried it. It really was quite good. But, for all the work involved, I'd much rather have catfish or bream!:wink:

16. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    The best way is an old favorite recipe thats been around a very long time . First you cut a long nice strip of the gar and lay it on a pine board (has to be pine) sprinkle with spices of your choice and pre heat the oven to 350 degrees . Put the gar on the pine board straight into the oven for 10 to 12 minutes . Then take the gar out of the oven on the board and throw the gar into the trash and eat the pine board ......:smile2:

17. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    after you split the shell there are two back straps on a gar that you cut in 1" pieces and fry with cornmeal. these are real tasty.

18. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I seen some other pics or video of preparing gar, I think this looks easier. There are redipes on here about cooking em, I reckon if I ever catch one I will try to eat it.

I been told sturgeon have to sit a couple days to relax the meat or they aint' good eating.

19. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Whoa! I didn't know that this post was gonna get this sort of feedback...but that's good!

First, for those who insist that gar are good fried...well I'm probably going to have to take your word for it. When I tried to clean this sucker (3lb shortnose), I used my electric fillet knife and an agressive sawing motion. For the first 30 seconds or so, this did nothing. I kid you not, it was trying to cut through a turtle shell. That within itself made the whole experience not really worth it.

Second, if the meat can't be grilled, then I say it's not worth a ****. I grill catfish all the time and it's one of the most delicious ways to prepare fish. period. The boiling method was suggested to me by someone who swears its the only way to go for gar. Ok, that was a wildcard, I admit it.

Third, once I got past the rubber texture, the gar meat had a distinct mud taste to it. The 4lb channel cat I grilled by its side tasted like something out of a high price restaurant.

Finally, carp aren't all that bad. They are really good smoked and decent for grilling and frying. I don't know about the bowfin though.....

20. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Don't have any gar around here, but, sounds like it ratcheted carp up a notch!!

Which I have eaten, and was quite tasty!!