Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

I tried once

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Mrs Okie 
#1 ·
I tried caviar once, I did not know what it was at the time and had to ask.But I know I didn't care for it. I have heard of people saving the eggs from fish they caught for food. I was wondering if any of you do.

#2 ·
My dad and some other people I've know love eggs from bream and bass. They leave them in the sack and fry the whole thing. That's the only way I've seen it done.

We tried eggs from catfish once, but we probably didn't do it right because it was like eating rubber. The bream and bass egg sacks are smaller so they fry better.

#4 ·
I keep every spawn sack I get from gills and crappie in the spring,Fry em up with scrambled eggs. I have toyed with the idea of making caviar from some ,I tried it over 30 yrs ago,Cant remember whether I liked it or not,so I'm game to try it a second time,Afterall, our tastes change as we age .

#6 ·
i was raised eating all fish eggs. catfish have to be cooked slow when fried whole or they will explode and you'll think someone set off a line of firecrackers. panfish and bass are really good fried or with eggs. i always like syrup and a good ole cathead bisquit full off butter with mine. allso sucker eggs and mullet eggs are great also. makes me hungry just thinking about them and i just had bbq ribs. thanks for the post all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.