I tried Kahle hooks and I caught a cat in the eye w/ pic.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Guthooked, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I am a died in the wool circle hook catfisherman. The only downside is that every once and a while is that you will hook a fish through the eye. I release 99% of my fish so I feel bad about blinding a fish in one if it's eyes. I have read on this board about Kahle hooks and I decided to give them a try. I went to the Altamaha river equipped with some kahle hooks and some Lousiana pink worms. I cast out and set the rods up fishing a tight line. I had four hits and caught all four fish. The last fish I caught was hooked through the jaw but the point of the hook came back around and pierced the eyeball. I cut the hook in half and was able to remove the part that wa in it's eye. Has anyone else had a problem with hooking a fish in the eye with a kahle hook?

Link to the picture:
    http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/7/20915002187.jpg&s=f10

2. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It is kind of crazy but it happends.Them are the one's you need to eat...Blind is Blind...........:crazy:

3. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That happens to me with any type of hook. Usually it's a big hook in a small fish.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Sometimes, freaky things just happen, ya know? Don't fret over it. I can't begin to tell you now many fish I've caught over the years that were blind in one or both eyes, and were no worse for it. Catfish have some of the best senses in the fishing world for finding food. They will generally survive just fine, but as mentioned, that may be the ones you want to keep for eating.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    It happens, but they use their sense of smell more then anything I think. Dont worry about it.

6. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    ouch, just ouch.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I try to release all of my fish also. But if they are gut hooked are eye hooked they come home and visit the skillet.

8. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    man i hate it when that happens

9. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I have had that happen with all kinds of hooks. But since I fish to fill my belly I does not bother me too much. That is light compaired to being filleted.

I have had that problem with bigger hooks on tiny fish.

10. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Don't dwell on the fact you've blinded a fish, gut it, throw it on the ice and take it home or turn it loose. The perfect hook doesn't exist and I don't think it ever will, I've tried them all. The only thing for certain is you might hasten what is going to happen to that fish......it's going to be eaten by something...........

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    It can happen with any hook. I've never had it happen to me with a circle hook, but when ever I use kahles it seems to get hooked bad one way or another.