I tried it , I liked it.

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by splitshot, Aug 12, 2006.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Ive seen so much discussion about circle hooks, that i finally decided to try them. I was very impressed. The hard part was waiting for the rod to load up. Caught a nice 7 lb channel, the part i really liked was the way the hook caught him in the corner of the mouth. in the past ive had a lot of them swallow the hook, and end up cutting the line. If anyone wants to know,they work well, and are much easier on the fish. The key word is patience, whie waiting for the rod to load. :0a23:

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Glad ya liked em, buy them all, LMAO. Congrats on the nice catch man.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes they are great hooks IF the rod loads up!!! Great catch Buddy!!!

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Once I got used to them I loved them too. It's a different type of fishing than setting the hook thats for sure.

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Your right JW, Never thought of the if part. :confused2: Now you've got me thinking.

6. I have never used circle hooks, but now that I know about em quite a bit I may buy some. Sure would work good at those times I dont watch my pole as diligently. I would get too jittery waiting for the pole to load though.. would be something to work through.

7. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    If the bite is right their great,

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My problem is waiting for the rod to lad up. I have always enjoyed holding my rod when there biting(they havn't for me this year)but when they jerk that line that I'm holding ahhhhhhhhhhthats a great feeling!!however I agree that a fish that swallows the hook and you have to cut the line is no fun either especially if the fish is too small to keep so I guess it's a toss up. I don't care what kinds of hook it is as long as it's sharp and will hook the fish right not swallowed.Just my 2 cents------------------pk powell:big_smile:

9. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I agree with the concept of circle hooks. People that fish several rods should consider them. I've tried them but without any luck. Of course, on those ocasions non of the hooks were catching fish either. AKA,I got skunked.

10. langstaff

langstaff New Member

State:
    tennessee
    its hard not to jerk a sethook. but love the lip hookup

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have never tryed them but prob will:big_smile:

12. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Dreadnaught, it has been my experiance that the big cats take little time to load up a pole but the small ones, the fiddlers, are the ones that take forever to get hooked up. It isn't always that way but usually the way it is around here. The big ones will hook themselves on circle hooks if you leave your reel engaged and leave a little slack in your line.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Glad you liked them, I use them for all my catfishing now, except for large live baits.

14. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Back on the old board Ole Cornhusker convinced me to try them and wax worms for bream. Thank you Corn. I haven't used them enough for cats to have an opinion yet but I fish for the little ones and I like to set the hook. They might not be just right for me on them but they are a hoot on bream.

ST