I tied my PB today

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by patrickgd, Oct 16, 2008.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    This mornings fishing plans got changed due to rain. I was supposed to be going to Sardis to fish for "eating size" channel cats with my buddy Chris a.k.a Geek13 but the rain made him cancel :sad2: so I decided to go down to the river and try for some Flatties.
    The temperature was 58 and raining moderately with 5-10 mph winds out of the North. Withing 20 minutes I was soaked and getting cold and came real close to calling it quits early on but decided to tough it out awhile. I was using fresh cut chunks of Bluegill for bait and after about an hour I started getting bites. The first 2 I missed but kept fishing the same area and eventually hooked one that came off about 15 feet from the bank. I saw him surface and I'd guess he was between 5 and 10 lbs. I re-baited and casted out to the same spot. 10 minutes later I had a good pull down. I hooked and he was a real drag burner. I got him about halfway in and realized I left my net on the driveway at home :roll_eyes: anyway I managed to land him by hand. He weighed 28lbs and 36" long and 24" girth. Seeing how I was the only one crazy enough to be out fishing in the cold and rainy weather :crazy:I had noone to take a photo with me holding him so I placed this 2 liter drink bottle in there for some scale value.:wink:

Attached Files:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Patrick congrats on another nice flattie. WTG.

3. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats on the nice flattie.. Me and a few other local BOC memebrs rode the storm out last night.. we caught channels and turtles only..

But atleast someone was catching flatties

4. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Congrats on the flattie. That is a beautiful fish and I am sure he had your adrenaline pumping during the fight!!:smile2:

5. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Grats on a great fish. Ive been trying to dodge the rain for 2 days. Seems like getting wet wasnt so bad when I was younger.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Great catch and congrats!

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Congrats Patrick on the nice flathead. You have some nice ones this year. Keep it up, it pays off.

8. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Now that's what happens when you tough it out. Congrats on a nice flathead and thanks for sharing.

9. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing the pics and story. Your signature block says it all eh? :big_smile:

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Good fish man! You've become a dang good fisherman in no time:wink: Keep it up and you'll have one of those 50+lbers before long, better to remember your net when that goes down:smile2:

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    NICE fish. Reps sent to you for toughing out the rough conditions. Some of my greatest success has been during some of the roughest weather.
    Bill in SC

12. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Nice fish Patrick Congrads to you. Sometimes high water and bad weather aren't so bad.:wink:

13. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on a nice flattie!!!

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nice fish Patrick. Thanks for sharing, and Congrats!

It's nice when you put in the extra effort and it pays off, isn't it?

15. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Patrick, congratulations on tying your PB! Thanks for the story and photos.

16. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Congrats Patrick very good fish.

17. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on the nice flat.