I thought I could do it

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by jedimanhunter, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Can some one tell me how to detect a problem child in regards to used boats. I finally found a boat I have been wanting and it was within the price range I could afford. All I asked was a solid floor, a solid transon and for the boat to crank before I drive 5-hours 1- way to get it.

Thats not asking too much is it. What I got was a solid floor on the outside, come to find out after looking into a service port that the floor is like kindling, the stringers are rotted and the built in under the floor gas tank leaks. WHoops.

I found that out first day in the water after I filled it up went to leave my fishing hole and had a 1/2 tank, I only drove it about 10-minutes and I just put 10 gallons in a 30+ gallon tank. Looked in the service port and guess what, theres my gas.

I took it back to the factory today for a total rebuild from the stringers up. Looking at about 3 grand.

This boat totally fooled me, Chicken one day feathers the next.

To save some tyoing for some one with the answers here is what I did.
    I got in the boat, stood on 1-leg and pushed down all over the floor looking for a soft spot.

I raised the motor and pushed down on it looking for flex in the transon, it looked and felt good

It cranked right up in the driveway but that does not mean much until it is put under load in the water. Under the calon it looks brand new, not even wear on the flywheel, the bolts did not look like they had been cracked, the freeze plugs looked like a new nickel. The hour meter said 420 hours and I had no reason to believe otherwise.

Gave it a visual once over under neath, looked good, No transom cracks in the gellcoat. All the intrusions like transducers were tight and caulked.

I do not know what else to do yet I still got a big piece of CRAP until I get it fixed. I thought I had a gem as overall it looked like it spent its like under cover and noty in the weather.

By the way the service port was under the console, a place I did not bother looking as it was covered and under cover.

2. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Sorry to hear that Jeff. I am gonna buy a newer boat in January. Hopefully I don't make a bad choice like before. I know how bad people can be,so I am extra careful now. I still have a jon boat I got suckered into. It's a real turd. Best of luck.

3. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    that sux to hear that. The boat i fish in was bought brand new and my little jon boat i bought off of a family friend. and i have noticed that it seems like boats always have some sort of problem no matter what it is. i would recomend just trying to save some money up and get a brand new one or a certified used one from a dealer and just try to get some payments into a pricerange you can afford.

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    My DAD always says,never finance toys. Save and get a used boat.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    B-O-A-T
    Bring-On-Another-Thousand

Man, I'm sorry to hear about that stroke of bad luck. Hope you get it sorted out proper very soon!
    Bill in SC

6. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    You said a mouthful there. If it is an RV, MC, boat, pwc, they are all expensive to maintain and should be bought out right. Putting part of the money you saved up to buy it away for that next little thing that tears up. And it will.:eek:oooh:

7. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I took it back to the factory, They are rebuilding it as we speak. It actually saved me a grand taking it there over the price of the local pros.

Those guys at falcon are my heros right now

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    That truely sucks. Only thing I can add is this. I've purchased two used boats from people I know. Have been pleased with both of them. Somethin about them knowin ya and knowin ya are half crazy that really helps. :crazy:

9. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    When boat shopping particularly for a used boat you have to approach it alot different then you would in buying a car or a house.

I've been all over factory boats from the deck, through the bilge, stringers, transom, etc. of many boats. I know how to fix them and most importantly I know why they break. The manufacturer.
    If a corner has been cut they'll cut that sucker again. I have nothing but sailor words for many boat manufacturers.

A car manufacturer wouldnt stay in business long if they built cars like that. Guess what? The boat manufacturers dont stay in business long.
    Alot of the boat business is here today and gone tomorrow. Notoriously they are going to use the wrong material for a piece or part to cut a corner.
    The topsides on these boats are beautiful. It's eye candy. It's what makes people reach for the wallet.

They all cut corners to save a dime, some are just alot worse then others.
    Then you have the dealer that has to rig it. They'll use some really crappy practices rigging out of pure stupidity or either being unqualified for their job.
    Seen many a boat literally destroyed by the jerk that rigged it. It was doomed before it was ever delivered.

I'll tell ya like I see it.
    I wont buy ANY factory boat of any sort. It just aint happening. Seen too much crap and fixed too much of that crap.
    I would buy a custom one off or I will build.
    I can take 20,000 bucks and build one helluva a boat. ALOT better then you'll ever buy. Anybody can do it. It aint nothing but time.
    You'll know what you got, that's for sure.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you must buy a used boat I'll give some sound advice.
    Dont pay a dime more then the actual value of the motor, trailer, and anything that can be salvaged off the hull. That is its worth.

Atleast when you find out that the hull has problems you have a choice.
    Either drop the cash to fix it or strip it and move on to another hull.
    You haven't paid for a "good" hull that is going to take a sack load of cash to actually make good. Spending money on money.