I think I'm getting scr**ed

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jrgriffhusker, Apr 12, 2009.

1. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I took my boat in to get the water pump changed. And when I called to check the status after 4 days I got a hold of the mechanic. He decided to tell me that it was burnt up like I thought it was. Except he informed me that I lost spark in my number two and three cylinder's. Which seems really odd to me considering that when I took it off the water it was running just fine. All I did was change the spark plugs after I took it off the water because I thought they were bad.
    He wants to tell me that he thinks that my stator, or spark boxes may be bad. And he told me that if I replace one I need to replace both of the boxes. I'm not sure except that I told him "no more parts until he finds out why I lost spark". Sounds to me like he's trying to get more money out of me.
    I have a 87 Ebko with a Mariner 150hp Magnum, if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thank you
    John

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    what made u think they were bad to change them out, did u check them to see if u had spark after changing them out ,could be broken wires,just a thought

welcome to the BOC

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Sounds like he is right. That happens to those motors. The stator does go out and when it does it can be after a water pump allowed the motor to heat up. He can test it and show you its good or bad.
    Pete

4. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    That sounds better then them damn signal boxes which are like 250 a piece. I can understand things can happen because I overheated the motor. But I figured it would be on the compression side or something like that. Which he did say it still has good compression

5. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Found out nothing was wrong with the motor. YEAH!!! I'll have it on the water next weekend

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    "That sounds better then them damn signal boxes which are like 250 a piece." I know I would be shopping around for that part. There are some stores which make a living pricing their parts as though they were made of gold. Check 8 to 10 stores and see if the price is still that high...if its what I'm thinking of, we generally get them here for 80 to 120. Never heard of one going that high...heck, you could possible buy a used motor for that price.