I think I need a trolling motor

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Whistling Dixie, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    Gentlemen,
    You have been so helpful in the past I thought I would troll for a few opinions about trolling motors. I would like to put a good quality trolling motor on my 20 foot Sea Ark v-cat. I would be open to your suggestions concerning thrust, brand, and control scheme i.e. foot or tiller handle. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

2. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    This one is a little less conventional, but suites my need perfectly. It will be my next buy for sure, and my benefit you.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults

It mounts to your outdrive....thus freeing space and allowing u to steer from ur boats steering wheel.

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Trolling motors are a real nice addition. I use mine exclusively when cruising the shoreline casting for bait. I use it drifting also when the wind isn't cooperating. I wouldn't be able to get into half the fishing spots I do without one. I would think a 70 pound thrust would be the minimum you would want for a 20' boat. Mine is a 19' and I have a 48 pound thrust. It works well but a 70 would be nicer when the waves are up. If you have a front deck to stand on then a foot control is nice. Tiller handles are nice if you sit low in the boat. I would suggest looking at one with an auto pilot. I constantly keep my foot on the pedal when drifting with the trolling motor to keep on course. The auto pilot would be so nice to have. Some of the newer ones also have wireless remote control. That would be nice also. It seams like they are just bells and whistles, but it would make my fishing so much nicer at times.

4. Whistling Dixie

State:
    Texas
    Repoman,
    Thanks for the link, it was very informative. My biggest problem right now is I'm trying to get a deep draft boat into too many shallow places. I like the idea of having the motor mounted on the drive motor but for my purposes I need to pick up the motor so I can run shallower. Thanks again.

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Minn Kota is the way to go.

I've had all kinds of problems with MotorGuide.

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a 24volt Minn Kota Maxxum 74 on an 18 1/2 boat. Never had any problems with it, rarely ever use full power on it.

7. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    One thing to consider.......if you should happen to spin the prop off your trolling motor somehow.....Motor Guide only makes TWO different sizes for their motors, large and small. The other brands use several different sizes and can get difficult to locate on short notice. They also tell you it takes special tools to do the job, which I found out from experience is a lot of bull. Normal tools can do the job.
    Power......get the most you can afford. You won't regret it.

8. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Auto pilot for sure, and the copilot is very nice, makes drifting so much easier to be able to control the boat without having to be at the trolling motor. One thing to consider about thrust is the number of batteries it takes to run the motor. Checked the minnkota site, and looked like anything over 80 pounds of thrust would take 3 batteries. The minnkota site also has a select a motor page that is very helpful, Did not check the other sites, they probably have one as well.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you plan to use it for drifting very much, I agree that an autopilot would be great, but from what you said about using it near shore to catch bait, it sounds like you might not need it, since you will be changing directions very frequently. Foot control was developed for use by bass fishermen to use while standing up, and it's great for that; otherwise, I find it more difficult to use than a tiller handle. But, as already pointed out, you need to be sitting low enough in the boat to reach the tiller. I've got both foot control and tiller, and I don't even bother with the foot control any more.

10. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    MINNKOTA AUTOPILOT ! I got one last spring and it works great for trolling and drifting . get the one with the built in transducer . that way when your trolling you can react to what the front of the boat goes over instead of what the back of the boat goes over . i've got gps on my other depth finder and it makes it real easy to back track or not to back track the same area . the more I used this setup the better I got at it and the more I liked it . The autopilot is real easy to use , just point the trolling motor and turn on the autopilot , then use the footpedal to make any adjustments you want .

11. Whistling Dixie

State:
    Texas
    Thank you Gentlemen for all the good advice, I went out and looked at the Minn Kota Autopilot and it looks like quite the beast. I'm not sure if I'll spring for that much gadget but I have decided on 80 pounds of thrust. Your insight is greatly appreciated.