I think I lost it.

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by plumbertom1, Feb 16, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I got up this morning and headed up to Pyramid Lake to try out my new trolling motor.
    A few boats out on the lake when I got there and saw some people shore fishing.
    Couple of guys fishing right in the launch ramp.
    Warm enough out to be shirt sleeve weather. But I didn't get the water temp.
    Light breeze when I got there.
    Pulled the pontoon out of my truck and loaded up the gear.
    Mounted the trolling motor and hooked it up to the new battery, pushed the boat into the water and rowed out a few feet.
    Lowered the motor into the water and away I went.
    started out on low but soon decided to crank it up a little.
    Crossed the marina area on Hi and boy does that 40 lb thrust move that little pontoon boat.
    Pulled up to the shore across from the launch ramp and baited up my 12lb rig and tossed it out.
    While rigging my 6lb outfit I got a determined bite on the other one, droped what I was doing and reeled in a schoolie striper.
    Re-baited and casted out again and went back to finishing the 6lber baited it up and tossed it out
    Using 3/4 to 1inch wide pieces of cut anchovy I had a steady bight all day.
    Caught about 14 schoolies and kept the 7 biggest.
    I know they are only schoolies but it had been so long since I caught anything I was glad to have them.
    I think I may have lost that skunk that's been with me for the last few weeks. At least I hope so.

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thats strange. If you woulda caught them fish in Jersy waters ya would be writein a hefty fine check when caught with em.

3. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Pyramid has an over abundance of stripers so there is no size limit the take limit is 10. Many of the lakes in Ca. have a two fish limit with a minimum size from 12" to 18" depending on the lake.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Tom... glad to see that you lost the evil that had been following you..... We'll be doing well this week end..... thought that we might stop on the way out of town in Indio.... and try the Cahillia lake ..... they have a great RV camping... and we can try for some trout, and some cats to warm up as we are heading to the Colorado River..... (If they are not to crowded)...... I want to check out the back water spots that Riverbud has spoken about and see if we can get some AZ bait that can be used to entice some Flatheads....... we'll check out a few spots... and move on to Mayflower for the night, or maybe the Wier that takes water out for Palo Verde.

Talk to you tomorrow.....I'll get the worms... and some Mack

bayrunner ray

5. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    Way to go Tom. That is one cool boat.
    Thanks for the report and pics.

6. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    nice stringer of stripers. hope you get the big ones soon

7. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Thats a real nice trolling motor and a good mess of fish.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on new trolling motor and a nice mess of fish. Its a good feeling to know that the skunk is gone. Do't allow him to return.:big_smile: :cross: :cross: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

9. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Tom, I think you dropped that skunk off with me when we fish together last month. Hey, that is a great looking boat you have. I hope you guys have a good trip to the river this week end.

10. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    WOO glad you lost that skunk Tom thats a nice bunch'o fish you got too good eaters!

Thats the same pontoon I was thinking about buying myself Tom, something light and portable.

11. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Veni I bought mine from Walmart online but they say they're out of stock now.
    Its made by Classic Accessories and if you PM me about it I'll send you their email address.

12. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Good morning Tom and all you California fisherman. I am looking for a recipe for cooking striper, I was out again yesterday and caught another big Channel Cat and a nice four or five pound Striper. We had the cat for dinner last night. and we would like to know how to cook this Striper. The last time we tried cooking striper, we tried baking it with out the skin and it just fell apart. so I left the skin on this time. I know some of you bound to have a good recipe. I looked in the BOC recipes and did not see one for striper, but I may have not looked in the right place. I appreciate any help

13. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Skunk off and fish tacos on - sounds like a good day.

14. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Hey Phil, Glad you don't have to live with that skunk any longer.
    I'm no great shakes at cooking striper myself but I do know that you need to trim the red meat from them before cooking them. It's very strong and cooks into the rest of the meat so trim as much as you can then it helps to marinade them in buttermilk for a couple of hours before cooking them. Once they are marinaded just cook like catfish in corn meal or dip in beer batter and deep fry. The batter helps to hold them together.
    I usually leave out the buttermilk and soak my stripers in a salt brine overnight and then smoke them because I think they make one of the best smoked fish but that's just my opinion.
    I have noticed that striper tends to fall apart when cooked or smoked too long so be careful not to over cook it. It does remain firm of flesh even when the connective tissue is cooked away.

15. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Phillip, I fillet most of my catch, and remove the dark meat at he lateral line.... I have found that if the skin is left on, then the taste is compromised.... season each side, salt and lemon peper, and pan fry em, or dip em in some good ole batter mix.... I mentioned to Plumbertom about using Betty Crocker Potato Buds, and rub em between your hands to make them less corse and then dip the fillets into an egg/milk mixture and dip em and then into the potato buds.... and fry em.....

Try it you'll like it..... bayrunner ray

16. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks guys, I Have soaked them over night in salt water filleted them, but I haven't remove the skin I will do that now before I cook them. Hey, Ray when the cat start hitting good and the wether gets a little nicer you and Tom, need to come down and we will spend a night fishing. hey thanks again guys.