i think i lost a flathead catfish today

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Dec 28, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    a couple years ago on a warm january day i hooked into a huge fish.

it took me awile to turn him, then the hook pulled out.

cant say for sure but it felt like a 40-lb class fish. had to be a flthead, as there is no blues on my river.

i sneeked out of the house for a couple hrs today, and went back to the same spot, it's not my regular hole.

before i got my 2nd rod baited my first rod went down, like a hooked a f-150 going 80 miles an hr.

same results, my hook pulled out, felt big and the first 3 feet of my line was coated in fish slime.

if it was a channel is was surley bigger than any chanel cat i hva ever landed.

i am going back after him monday.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds exciting Jack, I hope you get after him. The river conditions are going to pretty rough with all this rain and wind.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It really doesn't suprise me. I have caught them out of a couple wintering holes up until Christmas before. Yes, you pretty much have to hit them on the nose with it, but they will sometimes eat. I had a buddy last year fishing one of these wintering holes along a rocky bank for saugeye, he had a minnow tipped jig, vertical jigging under the boat. He hooked one of these flatheads, and fought it for a good while before the hook bent out. I know what studys have said about them not biting at all below 50 degrees, but I know thats crap! They obviously aren't moving looking for a meal. Another example, Our ole buddy J.W called me at home last winter, I had talked to him about this in recent other phone conversations about this, Well, he called to say," made a believer out of me today" after, he was fishing for blues and busted a big flathead in 38 degree water temp. So, they can say what they want, yes it isn't prime fishing season. But, if you have an area they congregate for the winter, they can be enticed into being caught still throughout the winter... Go get him Jack, that was my plan for yesterday, but the river is just too unfit to be fished.. goodluck buddy.....rollo

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
  5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    hope you get him/her jack!

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Patience and persistance....it pays off every time Jack! Good Luck!:big_smile:

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    tryusing a double hook set up.If one don't get it maybe the other will.Want to see pictures when you do get it.

8. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Goopd luck bro! I want to see the pic's when you get that sucker.

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    nice,it sure was a good day for it.i walked outside to go to work and when that air hit me,i had one thought,i would rather be fishing.

hopefully the next time,you will get him in,good luck.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I think you casted into a mobile snag. Something floating downstream. Go back and try again! You'll just lose bait. Catfish don't bite in the WINTER.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    LMAO! I just spit Chinese food all over my lap and screen.. Should have seen me trying to catch it through the air with chop sticks! LOL.....rollo

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont think a mobile snag would leave fish slime on my line.

I need to take a break from this forum.

13. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i think s-man was just having some fun,not trying to stir ya up any.

i think we all get a little giddish this time of year,halfway through the cold months,waiting on spring to arrive.crappy time of the year for us,lol

14. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just can't believe you didn't call telling me you was going! :confused2: :smile2:

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    could very well have been a flathead, i have seen stranger things. if i could ever find it, i have and old article from the newspaper along with a photo from a local pay-lake where folks were ice fishing for burbot and got into an hour long frenzy catching flatheads and blues! think there was over 400lb of fish caught that day.

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Tighten up the drag, use heaveier line (30 or 40lb), and use bigger hooks.

I have never caught a winter flat, but from what I've read and heard, they don't fight in the wintertime. Only a 25lb channel would run like a F-150 in the wintertime.

Hope you get em!

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio

Good..... Because I'm going after him on Thursday! :crazy::wink::smile2: I know that spot!

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

Jack, you gotta know I was just "bustin yer chops"?

You are the best Cut-Bait Flatheadfisher out there. I'd love to come down and have you show me what the hell it is you do to catch these brutes.

You have a system/method that puts the rest of us at a dissadvantage. I'm gonna hafta poke a little fun at the guy on top, lol.