I think i just destroyed my new gun

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by elalr, Sep 19, 2006.

1. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    i recieved a black powder gun from my wife about a year ago. well being new to black powder. i didnt listen to the advice of some other rookie black powder shooters to wash it with soap and water.well they were obviously smarter than me( that doesnt take much). it just sounded like a bad idea. water and metal. well now my gun has corrosion all over it. mostly in the barrel. is there any way to remove it or is it now just for show. thanks in advance for any advice.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Larry, I would recommend that you talk to a gunshop and see what is best to do. I had a muzzleloader do the same thing, and I scrubbed it good with 'silikroil', then cleaned it really good and rubbed oil into everything. You have to pick it up and look really close to tell it was rusted, now. I just keep it hanging over the mantel, anyway. I missed a nice buck with it, and took a fat doe, so that satisfied my primitive instincts. LOL

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    That really sucks guy, I hope you can get some advice to fixer' up or you may wanna get it re-blued. Just a thought. Your friend Buddah

4. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey Larry believe it or not I've cleaned my guns in dish soap and water.The thing you have to remember is you have to make sure you get all the moisture out of it.After you do that take some thompson/center natural lube 1000 and put it on some patches and run it down the barrel.They call that seasoning the barrel.Now for the problem you have now.Have you tried cleaning it again with maybe a bore cleaner solvent,if there is some rust in there try W/D 40.I currently use thompson center # 13 black powder solvent.Just remember you need to put some lube down the barrel after cleaning.Black powder is extremely corrosive.Hope this helps you out.

5. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    If possible, remove thr breach plug. This will allow you to see into and through the barrel.

There are several products available to remove lead, powder & rust from gun barrels. Use wire brushes to scrub the barrel to clean the rifling.

Outside rust can be removed with steel wool of fine sand paper.

You can also use a black powder replacement that is nod corrosive, like triple seven.

But, washing your barrel in hot soapy water is the old standby after shooting a few rounds.

Robert

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    yep just do as they say, my cousin has shot pistols for over 45 years and he has thrown them into the dish washer after he shot his before to clean them, just oil down the barrel inside and out when done, also, when u clean it, since it is a muzzle loader, stick a cap in it go outside NO AMMO in it and shoot it 2 or 3 times with just a cap this will dry the nipple out and the rest of the firing mecanizms(SP) i missed about a 8-10 point buck with my cousins muzzle-loader due to it not being dried properly. we had to shoot 16-18 caps before it finnaly fired. also if u do have one not fire but the cap goes off, hold in a safe direction for at least 20 seconds then point at ground hold in safe possition away from your body (incase it does go off and kick) then replace the cap and try again.

7. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Larry

Unless your gun is one of the new in-line muzzleloaders it's not dead yet.
    With in-lines the biggest problem is getting the action open...if one has set for a long time after firing it's almost impossable to get the action open without destroying some of the parts.

The regular exposed hammer percussion guns are not that much of a problem to clean up.

Remove the barrel from the stock.

Then remove nipple.

Then put the back end of the barrel down in a plastic bucket..fill bucket with hot water and add liquid soap (the type your wife uses to wash dishes with).

Now put brush (size of the caliber of your gun) on cleaning rod and shove it down the barrel and pull it out and in several times....I also pour some of the liquid soap down the barrel. Keep doing this and every few strokes pour fresh hot water into the barrel. Each time wash off you brush so that you can tell if the soap in the barrel is still getting dirty or staying clean but lathered.

After you think you have it cleaned well pull barrel out of bucket and toss the dirty water. Then put barrel back in bucket and pour hot water into the barrel. The water should come out the nipple hole. After rinsing the barrel with the clean water blow down the barrel to force any water still in barrel out.

Now take a clean dry patch and put on your jag and push it down the barrel and pull it out. Look at patch ...it probably has dark streaks from trash in the barrel grooves. Keep replacing patch and shoving it down the barrel and pulling it out until the patches come out clean....then lighty oil a patch and run it down the barrel. After doing that run a clean dry patch down the barrel. This ends barrel cleaning for now (inside barrel).

For the outside of your barrel

Take some 000 or 0000 steel wool and rub down the outside of the barrel lightly. This will remove most of the rust. There may be splotches of rust left on you barrel. If there is just keep rubbing until all of the barrel is smooth.

Now you have 2 choises... Original muzzleloaders were browned not blued.

To brown a barrel you allow a light smooth even surface of rust on your barrel then you take steel wool that has been soaked in oil and rub down the barrel. This will make a mess on your barrel that looks like watered down mud. This is actually the oil and rust mixing.

Take a rag and wipe the barrel down so you can remove the mud to see the condition of the barrel. Keep wiping barrel with the oil soaked steel wool and then with the rag until barrel is smooth but not white. You don't want to completely remove all the rust surface. You want the brown color of rust and the smoothness of a polished barrel. You may have to let it rust again if you took too much off the barrel.

When you have the barrel like you want wipe it down with an oil soaked rag and stand it muzzle down in a corner somewhere on a stack of newspaper to catch excess oil. Every few days rewipe with damp oil rag to make sure rust has stopped. When happy with barrel put you gun back together and store properly until you decide to take it out for shooting.

When storing a muzzleloader ALWAYS stand it with the MUZZLE DOWN !!!
    This keeps excess oil from running down the barrel to the nipple area and stopping up the flash hole to the nipple.

Now if you don't want a browned barrel you can either take your barrel to a gunsmith and he can have it reblued for you...or you can try to reblue it with cold blueing. I would suggest Brownell's cold blue if you decide to blue the barrel yourself.

Jesse

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Alot of good info here. Ive brought guns back from what your talking about when Ive bought rusted ones from gun shows and cleaned them up. As long as the rust hasnt pitted into the metal youll be alright. Cold blueing isnt hard to do just follow the directions.

9. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Jesse!!!

Excellent idea to store muzzleloader muzzle down! I had never thought of that before.

Robert

10. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    thank you all for the great advice. i will try to revive this one. and ive learned a valuable lesson, take advice from other people. im obviously not as smart as i thought i was.

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Larry go to an auto parts store and buy a can of lapping compound,it will be in a small dubble ended can with course compond on one side and fine on the other.Take the gun apart and if you are able to remove the breach plug do so because it will open the barrel at both ends and make it a lot easyer( one time had to get a barrel red hot to remove a breach plug and it didn't harm the barrel I hunted with it for years after that).To start out use the course compound on a cleaning rag with jag and keep running the compound through the barrel for a while then swich to the fine compound.I've been shooting blackpowder for 37 years and I've messed up like you did so I've had to lap out a barrel like this a few times over the years so I know it will get the rust out and will not harm the gun.

12. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    i took all the advice from all of you and got it cleaned out today. it almost looks new again. i took a brush and penetrating oil and scrubbed it for a while then washed it out with soapy water. dried it, and then oiled it with gun oil. i used steel wool lightly on the out side with gun oil and it took the rust off but left the bluing. thank you all for the advice. its great to have all of you as a resource.

13. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Larry when I turned wrenches in a power house, we used a product called "Free All" for rusted nuts and bolts...it worked much better than WD40. All the Auto parts places carry it. Great for muffler clamps etc. I'd try that & follow up with TC's no. 13 and then if your not hurt too bad, the TC's Bore Butter is outstanding. Pyrodex pellets are much less corrosive than black powder when you are back in the game. I shoot an In-line now and am never going back to percussion caps. LOL Boots.