I think I finally found the problem

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by H2O Mellon, Jun 13, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a question(s) for all of you:

When you go fishing, are you out for blood? Are you only content with "The Big One"? Most of the last two years that's the way I've been. I think I've rededicated myself to just having fun. I'm looking forward to this weekend, so I can get out and just catch some fish, period. I don't care if they are 2-3# Channels or 20-30#'s Flatheads. Granted everyone will take the flats, but I think you get my point. I've got the boat clean, the rods & reels clean, tackle organized (or at least will be). I am ready to just kick back & have fun. How about you guys? Fishing has bee frustrating, but I think I just had to have a couple weeks to sit back & reflect on WHY I go to begin with. The reason I go isn't to go 10 or 12 times waiting for that one big fish, but to go in hopes of catching them period. It used to be more work than anything, but I think I'm going to take it easy & goback to having fun. Usually my goal from the waters that I fish is multiple Channels in the 8-10# range & Flatheads around 20#'s, but this weekend I have a new goal. My new goal is to..... HAVE FUN & ENJOY IT for a while.

Good fishing to everyone this week & this coming weekend.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My goal is a big flathead, and you as a guide are doing a poor job in putting me on them..After all I have been driving to fish "your" home waters, and you are failing miserably!..I have a flathead river 3 miles from my house, and I drive 75 miles to fish with you and have caught 0 flatheads.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I agree Bryan. Why does it always have to be that quest for the monster. I'll do what I know works and fish where I know they should be. The rest is up to them. LOL! I make it a point tp have a ton of laughs when ever I go out.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You stil owe me about 20 "Skunk" Trips. :big_smile: :lol: :smile2:

I am serious.... I am changing my ways. I am fishign for fun, wheter it be Channels or Flats.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Ya, you have a good point Mellon!!! That is what it is all about anyway,.....FUN!!!

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You have it all wrong. So far you have just paid me for my guide service, not my catching service. The service fees are in addition to the guide fees! :wink: :lol:

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    For me, its the only reason to fish.. If Im loading up the boat, giving up sleep, I chase the bigguns. Though I usually also catch alot of 5-6# channels heh..

If its just a grab my poles and hit the water, I fish stink bait/shrimp/etc and go for whatever swims my way...
    If its a trip to the local pond with my kid, I now take one pole, rig up some stink bait and hope to land something around 4# he can reel in while I work with him ... usually, just bait it up, throw it, and forget about it unless it starts running.. Rest of the time, im watching him reel in bluegill and bass.. I have more fun watching him than I do catching large cats on my nite trips..........

8. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to target mainly flatheads, but for the last 6 or 7 years I have been going the "fun" route. I have now caught my fair share of channels. I am about done with them. I am getting ready to start another flathead run. I better start getting used to getting skunked again. :big_smile:

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There is any other reason to go fishing?

While it would make it more fun to hook into one of the bigguns, just getting away from work and the hassle of "real life" is more than enough for me.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Sounds like you got it all figured out,Now go out and catch some fish!!!

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    You got it fishing is fun. Not cetching anything is not. Id reather catch a 1#re or two than nothing. heck id rather catch trash fish than nothing. I usualy bait up double duty big pole big bait, smaller than pig pole but not small pole with a smaller bait. That way I got something out for a big one and something out to try not to get skunked.

12. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Bryan You sir. are 100% correct Its all about Fun . I use to fish quite a fue tourniments and won some money But man it was so much like WORK that I started to hate it. So I quit fishing them because the fun was gone. Now I go out and fish and sometimes I take a friend with and if we catch something thats great if we don't thats ok to, and I enjoy it a whole bunch more. Thanks!!!Your one of the reasons I enjoy this site so much. Keep up the good work. Bigcatman0816:cool2:

13. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Fun is what it is all about. I have lots of fun fishing tourneys even dont really care if i win or not its more for the fun of it to me.

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Brian, Thats what its all about no matter if your fishing, hunting, camping or what ever your hobbies may be. Its when you take yourself to seriously and it turns into work its time to find a new hobbie. 777

15. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    myself im after the big ones id rather catch 1 30lbs than 20 1lbs now 21 1lbs is a defferent story lol no seriously i dont care if i dont catch anything just being on the water relaxing watching nature is enough for me

16. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Bryan You sir are right. If i can not have fun then there is no need in fishing.

17. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    THERE YOU GO MELLON!!!!!! im proud of you. you finally realized what you were doing wrong. good job and keep it up. actually, i dont care what i catch as long as its a catfish im fine. i dont care for weight yet i dont mind having it on the cats! :tounge_out:

18. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Heck... I usually have one or two catfish poles out, but my other pole (three pole limit in Missouri) will be for anything that bites (which may be catfish). I'm out to have fun. I may specialize some for catfish, but it's not the be-all and end-all of fishing (and I know I will catch it for that one).

19. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    When I get fed up with things I can't control or life just sets me back a step or two, I'm going fishing. My home is the water, no matter how mad, angry, disgusted, frustrated I get, you can bet within a half hour on the water the only thing on my mind is fishing...listening to the water smacking against the boat, or the gentle rock of an ocean wave..peace. I agree that it's easy to get caught up in catching the "Big one"
    syndrome. I always set one pole for the Big one but the other one is for what they are biting/feeding on. I don't think I'll ever get tired of taking that little critter off the hook and listening to him bark.:0a23:
    Don

20. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    F.U.N.=Fishing,Unwinding, Nature. That's what it is all about.