I stopped smoking.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Drawout, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Well i smoked for 10 years and after reading on here about all the people that quit and how much better they felt,I decided to quit.I made a deal with the wife that the money that i usually waste on cigarettes i could use for whatever i wanted and that alone gave me lots of will power.I quit cold turkey ,no nicorette no other perscriptions and not even one drag of a cigarette for 9 days now.The second day was by far the hardest.Thanks everyone for kind words that you have spoken on this forum in regards to people quitting.Oh and btw day 8 was pretty tuff also because i was working on my outboard and i was stressed lol but i resisted the urge and i won. Thanks B.O.C.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    God Bless You Johnny,Man Keep up the Good Work.J.D.
    P.S.
    Now Don't go buying no more fishing gear with all that Money!!LOL,J.D.
    :wink:

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    great job johnny!!!!!!!!! you can do it,i havent had a cig in 4yrs this nov.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Johnny, every day gets better. The longer the time lapse, the better. The worse is over in 6 months.
    Now is the time to make the following statement to everyone on BOC, your family and the world.
    "I will never, ever use tobacco again!"

It will work, I know, it worked for me. I too, quick cold turkey the first time I made up my mind to stop smoking.

I've always said quitting smoking is not near as bad as having to diet. For you soon lose the craving for tobacco but you NEVER lose your appetite for food.

Good luck! :big_smile:

5. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thanks for all the positive words guys.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    congratulations. i recently stooped smoking (about 6 months ago) but i started dipping. being a Marine this has helped me tremendously, now i can actually breathe when we run for PT and i dont feel so crappy when i wake up in the morning. now i am trying to quit dipping, but having a hard go of it. good luck

7. barrelbritches

barrelbritches New Member

State:
    Texas
    johnny hang in there , i quit cold turkey 20 years ago, It will be one of the best thing you will ever do for yourself and your family. There are alot of people here behind you . This is one fight that you can win for life.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Good luck Johnny, I've never smoked but have been dipping for about 30 years. Hopefully one of these days i will get the urge to quit. You can do it you just have to make your mind up and stick to it. It will be one of the best decisions you can make.

9. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    keep it up. you can do it. 9 mos here . i also quit cold turkey

10. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Johnny don't even look back!! I also smoked, for 22 years. Best way to quit. Of coarse any way that works is awesome!!! 2 years strong :cool2: NEVER AGAIN!! Wish you the best!!!

11. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    heck yeah man! It's been 6 months for me!

Keep it up!

Tom

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good job brother!!

Making your mind up to stop is 90% of the battle. You will get cravings, but REMEMBER, they go away quickly so don't dwell on them.

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Johnny, my hats off to you. Good Job. I know it aint easy. keep up the good work.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good job Johnnie. You made the right move for you and that little one in your avatar. Keep moving forward and don't look back. :big_smile:

15. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Thats good that you quit. My wife and I have tried several times in the past and we ended up talking each other into buying a pack. Bout a month and a half ago I figured I was tired of spending the money and just quit. Didn't ask the wife to quit this time did it on my own. 6 weeks later I can breath better and my pulse is down from 89 per min. to 63 per. min. The doctors pleased. And low and behold my wife got to where she wanted to join me and quit a week ago. So keep it up and better heath to you....

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats ,Johnny. Besides the obvious health reasons . other folks really dont like to smell the stink. I dip and my wife smokes and I wake up ok ,till she fires one up . Then I'm coughin and gaggin, sometimes to the point of bein sick. My hats off to you bro.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I hit the 5 year mark this month. It only gets better.
    The doctor told me it would take just about 5 years for your body to purge all of the toxins it was capable of purging.

18. Skunk River Cat

Skunk River Cat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I just wanted to let ya know that you can do it. The rewards are worth it.

I was a dipper of snuff (Copenhagan) a can and a half for 12 years and this summer I quit. I have been free of the strangle of this addication since July 1st. Although, I used the patch to break free in my case. Cold turkey, would have worked but the headaches were such a bi*c* it made living difficult let alone trying to drive and work.

The first week was hell, but it gets easier just, fight off the pain, and what ever you do, do break down and think we'll I'll just have 1. Again, you CAN DO IT.

Anyways, sorry for the long soap box. Just know what you going through brother and don't give up.

Good Luck.

19. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I quit cold turkey over a year ago and I cant even stand the smell now. Sorry to those that I offended all those years.

20. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    No wonder some mornings I feel that Ive been smoking.