I still need help with Noodling boxes

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by s_man, Jan 14, 2008.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    My other thread got hi-jacked or hi-deered lol.
    I'm just looking for general info on how they are built, the dimensions, how to anchor one, and if they should face into, or away from the current? Oh and if they should be open on both ends or only open on one end.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    How did that happen I wonder??? LOL!!!! Maybe, Just Maybe, we won't find this one, LOL!!!

3. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Are you gonna put em in the river, or lake?

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Only took JW 4 minutes to respond to your post, he must be a big noodling fan. They'll find you, oh yes they will.:big_smile:

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Come on guys, WTF? I need help here. Forget about JW and DH. They only wish they could catch fish like me. I'm out here asking a legitimet question lol.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Forget about JW and DH.
    I don't think this is actually possible, LOL!!!! Though some may want to, LMAO!!!
    They only wish they could catch fish like me
    Not really, we used to catch them like that when we first started, but we moved on to bigger things, LOL!!!

7. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Skip,

I've seen it done several different ways for river applications. The most common I've seen was a triangle formation built out of three cedar pallets (some wharehouses will give away free). Their typically placed 2 to 3' under the water (2 to 3' above the peak of course) where the current isn't as heavy. I've seen them placed mostly next to wing dikes & jetties. You have to dig out the bank your setting them in so half the pallet depth sits inside the bank. Which in turn decreases the current flow even more.

This same setup also applies if your using 55gal drums. But seeting steel or plastic drums in the water might have some legal ramifications. I hope this helps ya.

My rule of thumb on noodling is; "If it big enough to noodle, it's to big to keep" I know you already know that though. I see nothing wrong with a guy that noodles as long has he releases back to the same hole it came from.

Thanks
    J

8. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE

I think some on here are a little gun shy when it comes to the noodling subject. But I'm not, it's just like anything else you just have to use some common sense.

J

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Gun shy maybe because of the fact that pulling big catfish off of their nest decimates the fish population! Yeah...... we're gun shy!:wink:

10. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    SIR those catfish dont kneed your help they have been nesting with out your help every since time began why do you think they would need your help. The guys have beentrying to tell you that but you wont listen.you will do more harm to the fish than you would help. go practice your fishing if tou are bored. the CATFISH DONT KNEED YOUR HELP THANKS SAM DAVIS Knox City ,Texas

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Do any of you read these posts? I am not now, nor will I ever be a Noodler. I just want to know how they build their boxes.

12. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    the cat fish doont kneed any help nesting the less tou mess with them the bfetter. they have the instint to nest. they can find a better space than you can builld. pleas leave them alone and practice your fishing the legal way thanks sam davis

13. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    to be honest it may be hard to get the answer your looking for... Even though i have done it once or twice but not for sport.. it was to save the fish.. and in about a week i will do it again.. maybe two weeks...

14. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I would suggest doing a search on the internet for your answer, your question has seemed to have gotten peoples panties in a wad. Ps just being a little sarcastic to lighten the mood.:smile2:

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Folks, this is a catfishing website. For you holier than thou folks who never do anything wrong, get off the high horse. The man asked a legitimate question about a method that is legal in some places. I happen to fish with Skip now and again and know for a fact that he is a catch and release fisherman. Have any of you ever seen his Flathead DVD? I absolutely adore this place which is why I am a sponsor, but sometimes it can be downright embarassing.
    My thoughts on Skips motives are 1. that he actually would like to enhance the spawning habitat for the Flathead that we here in Ohio love. Yes, Flats have spawned on their own for years. However, NEVER have they been subjected to the intense pressure as they have in recent years. 2. Perhaps he wants to use them as a depth finder.... to know where one will be to catch and release. 3. It is none of our business. If you have good information that answers his question great, feel free to insert HELPFUL information. If you don't and/or feel like getting on a soap box, don't respond. Skip already has a mother.

JW, if you feel the need to respond to this, don't. You have my phone number. If anyone else would like to discuss this issue, pm me for my cell number. I'm bored and would just love to speak with anyone about catfishing. This is a brotherhood and should be treated that way.

Thanks,

Shawn Dostie

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    First off, Shawn I owe you rep points. Soon as i spread the love, you'll get some lol. I don't want to get into a psng contest with some guy from texas. Sir, sit on youses porch and leaves me bee. You don't know me from the guy down the street. I like to think I'm a pretty well rounded fisherman. I don't keep any fish I catch, they all get a snapshot and put back into the water. I try to give all the information I can so people can go out and catch their own. If my question offended you please let me know. I bet I can do it again.

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    skip is a respectable guy. he is a catch and release guy. wanting to help with the development of more flats. i know where he is coming from, and unless you live and fish the river here like we do, you wouldn't understand the pressure and decline in flathead population due to poor management, and laws that aren't regulated properly.. with that said...skip is only gonna help his section of river. lol. there is a dam or two seperating his and mine. j/k. buddy.. i would like for someone to help the man out with his question to preserve the sport, unless the ODNR wants to get involved and release more hatchlings of flatheads in the river which they don't do!!! heck, they can't even regulate laws the way they need to.. rollo

18. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Skip if you can get hold of any old water heaters and gut them, they would work pretty good.

19. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I saw somewhere where they showed the guys in Oklahoma setting plywood boxes in the river, it looked like about 3x3x3 square and about a 1ft opening in the front across the top. They said they just sink them to the bottom by letting them fill up w/water, and mark where they're at so they can come back. They showed them putting their feet in the box to block the hole then putting their hands in to get the fish. They also asked them if it was legal to place the boxes there, and of course it's not. But it was to noodle them!!! Hope this helps out a bit, also they use 55 gallon barrels w/a hole in front

20. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    I never thought I would ever say this, but I agree with Loanwizard. :crazy: