I shall attempt to post again hope I recieve some answers!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by pk_powell, Dec 20, 2006.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was wondering if anyone in Missouri has tried Benny's Sure Shot Catfish Bait? I previously posted this or something very similar to this post in General conversation and I'll be darned if I can locate the silly thing! I know the best bait is bluegills, shad, Asian Carp Ect Ect,but I do not possess a castnet and even if I did I wouldn't even begin to know how to use one. I have seen instructions but I really need someone to stand beside me and show me how to use it. Anyway I have looked it up and it seems it is one heck of a bait to use in Texas,but I was just wondering if it would work the same way in the Missouri River,or if it was a better lake bait. I would appreciate any and all answers.Thanks alot folks!:big_smile:

2. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Yes, i have used it in the missouri river not to far from where you fish, It does work if you want to catch a lot of dinks. if i am ever back up in your neck of the woods i will try to get a hold of you so i can show you how to throw a cast net.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Pat I will be happy to show you how to throw a cast net at the Mo. Gathering. Not that I'm real good at it but I can catch bait at least.:wink:
    Never tryed the bait. Seems to give me a headache smelling myself every time I try a prepared bait and cant wait to get home to hit the shower....

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It would be great to get some bigguns,maybe you can answer another question if ya please.Does or does it not hurt a catfish of any size if you handle em alot say to get pictures of em before releaseing them.I have always heard that fish have a protective slime on their bodies and if it is rubbed off due to as stated above it predisposes them to infection and disease which in turn leads to fatalities to the fish! I am all for CPR if they're real big but if I am damageing them am I doing the right thing by releaseing em.It was Bill Dance on TV that said you never want to handle a fish anywhere except the mouth thus the lip gripper was invented and also it prevents injury to your hands. Thank you for answering to anyone who answers,and Ethan thank you for offering to help me learn to use a castnet much appreciated.:big_smile:

5. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    it does hurt the fish to handle them a lot, i try not to handle them much out while they are out of the water, but if i have to i wet my hands before i touch them.

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    One way to reduce the stress on a fish you plan on releasing is to wet your hands before holding him, this gets rid of the salt that is normally on your hands. Its also a bad idea to lay a fish that your going to release on the ground.

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Pat, I ain't buyin' that castnet handicap business... I have 2 left feet and 5 thumbs on each hand and I learned how to throw a cast net well enough to catch some bait... After all, ya did learn to fish dincha..?:big_smile:

~~~~~~~~~~
    Ever notice that the people who are late are often much jollier than the people who have to wait for them?

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Guys I appreciate so much that we are are Brothers and Sister. You all have helped alot to educate me and I so appreciate it.Ethan you stated the bait is good if you are after Dinks (fryers) bout how big were your dinks? I don't want to buy if I don't get results.Also how did you rig it while fishing the Missouri River? Thank you guys,you are so appreciated! If I had a nickel for everytime one of ya had been so kind as to answer my questions I firmly believe I'd be quite wealthy!:big_smile:

9. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Pat if you want to catch channels to 10 punds and smaller blues you can use Sonnies Super sticky in the Missouri River in creek mouths and pockets of water behind rock dikes this time of year.You can also buy shad gut in the pint jars and it will work also.Know any duck or goose hunters as the guts from them work also. Use a light pole as it doesnt take much weight to fish still water and smaller hooks in the #1/0 or smaller. Once you find a pod of fish in a creek mouth you can generally catch them all winter. On the dip bait you will need to thin it with veg. oil to use it in cooler water. A trick is to heat it up and put it in a cooler wrapped in something to retain the heat.

10. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    i consider anything that is smaller than 3lbs a dink(fryer). I used the stink bait holders that you can get at walmart or basspro for the holder, they come ready to go in two and three packs, you should use the bigger ones for the river and the smaller ones for lakes and ponds.

11. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I didn't mean I couldn't use a castnet I mean I never have and I'd like to learn preferably with someone standin beside me to help correct my mistakes. It'd be a whole lot cheaper than going to baitshops! Two left feet and all thumbs huh sounds pretty bad to me!:big_smile:

12. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    The dip bait that i use is called Wicked Sticky, it works great all the time and it stays on the holder in even the swiftest current, it comes in two different sizes and is relatively cheap, you can find it about any where. I have caught so many fish with it that it is all that i use. If you get the chance try some of it, it has never failed me. I don't think there has been one trip that i didn't catch anything on it.

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Pat if I can learn how to use a bait cast net anybody can. I learned this past summer. Rusty ( BOC member ) ,his wife and son were vacationing at Wyaconnda,State Park at La Grange ,Mo. and his son showed me how to do it. It's really simple the way he does it. If and when we ever get together I'll show you, if you haven't learned by then.
    As for the bait you are talking about can't say I ever heard of it. Myself I mostly use Premo.Have had real good luck with it and it stays on real good in current. Other than that I use fresh Shad or SkipJack.mostly Shad.

14. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have looked at catfish bait several times there before and they care Sonnys but they don't carry any bait that has sticky on it, and I'm unfamiliar with the baitholders you are speaking of. Any Suggestions?:baffle:

15. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
  16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If your close to St. Joe then I'm pretty sure Dick's bait and tackle has super sticky. I guess you could say he's on the south belt west side of the road.

17. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    If you can get to Maryville, you should be able to find some out at the bait store at the lake. Or you may try Big Birds Bait which is right in the middle of Maryville. That is where i have to get it.

18. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    here is another link that will take you to the Wicked Sticky, the real name for is Junnies Wicked Sticky Stink Bait, that last one was supposed to take you to the bait holder.

http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/

19. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Pat, when you buy the jigs for the dip bait, try to get some with a single hook. My experience with the dip bait is a lot of times the fish will swallow the whole jig and it sometimes has to be cut out, especially if it is a treble rig. Loop has a good jig that holds the dip bait better than any I have seen so far and I don't think the fish will be as apt to swallow his jig.

20. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have some of loops rigs.I bought them winter of 05-06.Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!:big_smile_2: