I Scored my biggest Flathead Catfish! YEAHHHH!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by mikeozo, Jul 6, 2009.

1. mikeozo

mikeozo New Member

State:
    PA
    10pm tonight I casted out a 6"chub and had a great run on it...Went to set the hook and missed it...Damn... Reeled in and the chub was still alive so I casted it back out and 15 minutes later this flathead started heading up creek like a submarine..This I time I gave him about a minute to make sure he had it in his mouth...Wham, the fight began...20 minutes later, I landed him...24 pounds, 36". Man was I pumped! Caught it on a Berkley glowstick, using Team catfish 4/0 with 14 pound mono line. GOOD TIMES!

Attached Files:

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    congrats on the pb

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Congratulations Mike!Nice flattie!:wink:

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    congrats.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the new personal best! That is a real nice looking flathead.

6. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    Real nice cat fer sure! Congrats!:worship:

7. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Great catch. 14# line? That's impressive for relativey light line line for cats.
    good deal, now get a bigger one.

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Congrats on the nice catch Mike. Did you get that out of Ten Mile?

9. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    congrats on the pb

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    congrats on the PB bro, ya might want to bump up your line and hook size:wink:

11. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :big_smile:congrats on that nice lookin flatty and pb !!!!!!! way to go :wink:

12. mikeozo

mikeozo New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks 4 all the congrats...

Jay, yes it was in 10 mile off of my docks...i have heard of them caught all through there over the years but usually 20 pounds+ is not the usual.

Len, that is the reason I dont use really big gear because 5 - 10 pounds is usually a good catch. If I was fishing the river I would definately have bigger equipment...However I am going to cabelas today to make some new purchases..lol I think I am going to get some 8/0 King Kahles and switch to a king cat rod with an abu garcia reel...i usually use spinning equipment but baitcasters seem to be the favorite with most of you guys so Im goin to give em a try.

13. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Congrats on the flattie....and I use spin casters....lol to each there own....but to be honest I'm thinking of trying a bait caster set up.

14. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congrats on the PB! Nothing like a good fight :big_smile:.

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    you'll like those king kat rods, i have 4 of them and they all perform great, the 2 i mostly use are the 7' MH action, for the price its tough ta beat, i wouldn't give up my spinning reel for nothin, i have shimano 4500 baitrunners on my 7' er's

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Congrats Mike on the PB. You gotta slow down alittle, PA don't have that many big fish. You might be able to get away with some Zebco 33's or 88's and some 25lb line. Just trying to save you some coin. LOL

JK, good job man!

17. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

Mike congrats on the pb

18. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on your pb!!!! Thats a nice flat!!!

19. mikeozo

mikeozo New Member

State:
    PA
    Went to Cabelas today and stocked up...I ended up staying with spinning gear and bought 2 king kats and 2 cabelas salt seeker SSBF-65...I almost bought the same set up as Len, but I saved a few bucks going with those reels and they have the bait feed feature which I love! So far I have no complaints but time will tell. I still have my Berkley glowsticks which I like but passed em over to my dad cause his gear was more for small mouth and maybe walleye. I also bought a spool of powerpro 65#, a bunch of Gamakatsu Octo circles 6/0.

I have always been a splitshot and a hook guy growing up as a trout fisherman here but I am trying some new things. Yesterda when I caught the 24 pounder it was on a size 4/0 hook, no swivels or leaders, and 2 splitshots. But like I said, I am not really fishing a river so when we start fishing from a boat and fishing bigger water, I am going to try more rigs and set ups. I did try a carolina rig tonite and it seemed to work fine. Caught a nice 8 pound flatty on a big fat bluegill. Me and dad went this evening and caught about twent 5-8" blue gill and sunfish. We had a few runs but only landed the one flatty in about 3-4 hours of fishing. I will take one per night anyday when they are decent size...

I have only been using this site for a few weekss now and have learned a lot, especially about rigs, set ups and gear. Thanks to everyone that has given me advice.

I will be heading to the James River on Saturday with a close friend and we will be guided by Chris Eberwein for monster blue cats...Hopefully I will come back with some good pics.

Heading back out at 7:30 pm and might pull an all nighter. Gotta keep my streak alive...LOL...

20. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    those salt striker reels are real nice, and smooth, i have the 6500 on my 8' mh action king kat and its a real good match, on my 7' er's i have the shimano 4500 baitrunner and on my 6' king kat pole i have the okuma 50 baitrunner, just watch after ya cast and engage the baitrunner make sure ya pull a couple inchs of line out ta make sure the reel freespools, it seems once in a while depending on the position of the handle the clicker won't engage, so just make sure to pull an inch or two out just ta make sure, if it doesn't than just move the handle a half a crank and engage the clicker:wink: