I say let'em live!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Todd 7479, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Todd 7479

Todd 7479 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would just like to tell everyone a little bit about me I have just got back into catfishing serious after eight years.This year I've fished more than I had in the past eight.I love the sport and I live by catch and release of all flats over ten pounds. I feel that there is no reason to keep the big ones.I would like to know how everyone on here feel about people who keep the big ones.

I SAY LET'EM LIVE!!!!
    2:00 a.m At your fishing hole -

It's quiet out here, and it's not by chance. Nobody knows about this spot, and that's how you intend to keep it. Because if there's one thing you need to catch the big one, it's silence. -Quote to live by

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Todd, let me first extend my welcome to the brotherhood. You will find it a place of fascinating opinions, stubborn views, and actually, we will be just like your blood brother...almost to the point of punching you in the nose. LOL

Our membership is fairly well divided in the catch and release programs. A lot of the brothers are meat fishermen and no matter what the size, it is released to the crisco. Others are more lenient and will let large cats go, and still others don't keep many, if any, catfish they catch. The thing you do is tactfully state your opinion...after all, you are entitled to have one. The thing to remember is the other membership also is entitled to an opinion and many will not hesitate to express it, even if its contrary to your own. So, let you skin become thick - you will not find an experience like this anywhere else on the net.

3. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    glad ididnt miss that hog with the net .isay let them live.hers come the rain let the grass grow.

4. Todd 7479

Todd 7479 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I did not word that like I wanted to what I was saying was I just wanted everyones feelings toward catch and release!!!!!!!

5. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I release ALL flatheads no matter what size.
    I release ALL channel cats over 15 lbs, and only keep any smaller ones if anyone I'm fishing with wants them to eat.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC Todd:cool2:. You can look at my signature and see what my choice is. But bottom line if someone is doing something that is legal in their state then that is their right to do so.

7. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Todd the fish in my avatar was actually out of water maybe 4 minutes all together.I caught him by my house .I look at your avatar and it looks like your flats pic was taking from your house also.Dont judge from the pics.

8. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i catch and release every catfish that i catch. beings that i am allergic to fish i can't eat them but i just enjoy fishing.

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Todd.

10. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC.

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Todd welcome to the board.
    You will find that the catch'n'release vs keep 'em 'n' eat 'em issue is a can of worms that never stops squirming. All you can do is your own thing and try in a polite way to get your point across if you feel the need but you have to be prepared for some resistance and opposite points of view...W

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    This seems like just as good a thread to post this as any so here goes.
    I release all flatheads I catch, channels too unless they are Bullhead size and bait worthy lol. But I just recieved the OCT/NOV issue of In-Fisherman mag and they have an article on the Share-Lunker program ran by the Texas DNR. Where anglers who catch a 10 lb bass or higher donate the fish to the DNR which keep the fish till it spawns then release it back into the lake it was caught. Well the story is that when a fish is caught for the first time the DNR folks put an Electronic tag under the fishes skin so if it is caught again it will show up on a scanner. Phillip Pool of Lubbock TX landed a 13.2 lb bass in april of this year. After scanning they determined that that same fish had been caught and entered into the program in 2005 and 2006. All 3 times by different anglers. Now if that isn't a testement for why we should CPR I don't know what is. If the first guy that caught that 13lb bass had taken it home to eat or hauled it around town in the back of his truck to show off, then two other guys would have never caught their fish of a lifetime. At this time that fish is still alive and swimming in a Texas lake, waiting for you or your kids to catch yet again. Looks like a win-win situation to me.

13. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i cpr all my catfish and any other fish for that matter.i just enjoy being out on the lake.

14. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've fished for flats for a long time now and have no idea what they taste like. Fish, if I had to guess. ODNR is showing no interest in replenishing them in our waterways despite increased fishing pressure. We gotta protect the deer herd though, cause God knows, there ain't many of those cute little *&^$# left:angry: More or less, the way I see it, it's up to cat anglers to insure the survival of the pop. Especially the big ones. Else we'll just fish ourselves right out of a damned fine sportfish.

15. Todd 7479

Todd 7479 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rosscatman tou are correct my pic was taken at my house I live about a half mile from river and we have large live keeps for the fish I run several tournaments out of my bait shop and we have to be able to keep them alive so we can get them back into the water.I have a crazy story about the fish in that pic a guy came in my store and purchased some bait as I was on my way out to go fishing.Came back down river about 3am passed him on bank and he came up to my store to show me his catch it was the same fish that I had caught that sat he caught it the following thursday.

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I CPR all cats over 8-10lbs but have no problems with anybody that keeps any size cats they catch as long as its legaly done. I figure if they catch them its none of my or anyone elses business what they do with their legal catch. Just my .02.
    Besides,its not the R&R,trot-line,limb-line fishermen that is hurting the population. Its the commercial fishermen that keep all cats big and small and in big numbers that is doing the damage!!!!!!!!!!:angry:
    This is my thoughts on this matter. I'm sure all won't agree with me but its MY opinions.

17. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    I like fish, catfish is one of them, however. as long as i have some in the freezer the rest can can go back. I find that eating fresh fish that I have actually caught is all the more rewarding, it seems to add to the sport somewhat for me. I generally lkeep em in the 3-6lb range. I gues I may have taken a few over that size in the past but I mainly stick to my personal guidlines.

18. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Todd! I feel if a person caught a big fish legally and wants to keep it I have no problem with it. Do trophy hunters just take a picture of that big buck and shoot the spike so someone else can have a chance for the big one? No, so why do some people get all worked up when someone keeps a trophy fish? What a person wishes to view as a trophy or big fish varies just as much, a 10lbs fish to one person maybe a dink but to another its a new personal best.

19. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Not a fish story. Don't go for big fish, don't want to. Don't care who catches 'em. It's like any hobby, some guys know every statistic and rule for the last 50 years on the marble championships of the world. That is just their thing. Probably beats drinking beer in a bar. Gives 'em something to brag about. I let a deer go by me last year, 1st season, 'cause I don't eat horns, and I don't want to dust them off on my wall a coupla times a year. A nice deer, truly a wall hanger. I won't spend 400 bucks and wait 18 months to have it come back and have to build a new room for it to just hang in the air. I had that deer in my sights, I killed it and that is all I need to know. A neighbor came by second season with that deer in his pickup bed bragging about what a kill he had made, and how good he was. Okey Dokey I thought when I see that deer hanging in his basement next to the pool table I can tell myself what a "nice deer" you got there.

20. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    John, I agree. I've done the same with deer. I've hunted and killed about everything that walks, flies or crawls in these parts. Nothing ever went to waste. I just don't choose to operate that way anymore. To each thier own. If you really need the food then by all means take the fish home. I'll never condemn anyone for trying to feed thier families. But as long as I can afford to buy groceries and the state doesn't stock flatheads, I'll never take one home to eat. I'll also continue to let my opinion on this be known. If a guy feels he needs to immortalize his catch by hanging it on his wall than so be it. I do know it's easier to dust off an 8 X 10 than it is to dust off a big, dead fish sculpture on your wall:wink: