I saw something rather disturbing today.

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Grumper, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Well, I got off work today around 4, and stopped by a buddy of mines house on the way home. We were just sitting around shooting the breeze, and decided to take a ride down to the river. When we got there, a guy was just pulling his boat out of the water. As soon as I seen the boat, I knew who it was. It belongs to one of the commercial guys that hit our river HARD. It's been an ongoing problem for a couple of years now, but I have never really witnessed it up close and personal. He was by himself, so he jumps out of the boat, and pulls his truck to the top of the ramp and parks next to us. What I saw inside that boat, made me very angry. He had no less than 40, maybe more, catfish....I mean BIG fish. I know what a 50lb fish looks like, and there were more than 10 in that boatload of fish. All were catfish, I did not see any other species in the boat. He had 'em all stacked up on the floor, and a pile of gill nets sitting upon the front deck. I guess I'm just venting is all, but what gives someone the right to go on PUBLIC waters, and take a thousand pounds of fish out. I mean, people get crap on here, all day long when they "kill" one big fish. but its alright for these guys to kill 'em by the boat load just becasue they bought a 25 dollar permit?? That's BS if you ask me. I just wish MO would do something, even a slot limit, or possession limit. I can guarantee one thing though. I will carry the commercial regulations on me at all times now, and I will not hesitate to call a game warden if I see ANYTHING illegal from these guys.:angry:

2. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    So you didn't bother to put a knife in his tires?

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Believe me, I would've like to do even more than that, I really didn't feel like going to jail. It might take awhile, but hopefully we can make some changes.

4. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    It's going to be a long uphill battle, but hopefully we will start gaining some ground.. If nothing else if we can get a length limit that'll be a start..

5. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Good luck, I feel your pain, it's a free for all here in North Carolina, no catfish regulations at all, we're trying to get something going now, they are looking at putting limits on a couple of lakes but that's it. Right now you can take as many catfish out of any lake in N.C. by any method that you want. If you catch 1000 , 50 pounders in a day, you can legally keep them.....:angry:

6. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    It's the same thing up here Jeff. Catfish in most waters don't have a limit. It would be nice if that could be changed everywhere..

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Here in Missouri, a residence fishing license is $12. You can take 5 blues or flatheads per day. (Not sure on channels). A residence commercial license is $25, and you can take any species of catfish over 15" long, in any quanity. You gotta figure, if one guy, (and there are 4 that I know of,) takes that much fish out the the river per week, god only knows how the fishing's gonna be in the next 10 years.:confused2:

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I know how you feel Gary, The stretch of the Arkansas river around this area is gill netted to death. I think gill and hoop nets should be outlawed. The commercial guys should at least have to trot line like everyone else. As stated getting a lenghth limit would be a start.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    They've been doing it for years though.:angry: Think how good the fishing could be if they didn't decimate the populations. Especially hauling all those big fish out.

You all know the encounter we had on the river last Saturday. It's a bad deal when GREED gets in the way!!!

10. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    It's simply amazing that they can do that and not even think of how they are hurting the lakes and rivers for their grandchildren.... it leaves me utterly speechless and angry:angry:

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I agree. You won't see hide nor hair of a commercial guy in the summertime, but when these blues start heading to their wintering holes, every wing dike, (and their are alot!!) has 4 nets hanging off of it, and because it's winter, there is no one around to moniter their activity, or mess with their equipment.

12. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    You can ask anyone that knows me. I spend alot of time on the water, and that guy had more fish in that boat in just a couple hours, than what I caught in the last couple years.:confused2:

13. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    It would sure help if they took trash fish instead.. They can sell them for pet food or to the zoo.. They just won't make as much at one time, so they would have to stop being greedy and settle with a smaller decent living..

14. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    They need to get a real job. period. I didn't know being a theif was a "trade". On top of hurting the catfish population, seems that they are helping the asain carp problem by getting rid of predatory fish.

15. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I want to know what they are doing with the asian carp that they catch .. It's against the law to release them alive back into any water and it's against the law to throw dead fish in the water..

16. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    This reminds me of a run in earlier this year. The first time I put my boat in the water this year, I think it was around the second week of February, there was a commercial guy, running a hoop net right by the boat ramp, and he was throwing all kind of asain carp back into the water alive. He also had his net not more that 200 yds from the entrance to the creek, which is illegal.

17. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Hey Harold, does the Illinois conservation police have a toll free number for anonymous "tips"?

18. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Yes , I'll have to look it up.. Remember on the Mississippi they have to obey both ststes laws.. Whichever states is stricter is what they have to go by..

19. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I have a copy of the MO regulation here. I need to get my hands on the IL and compare.

20. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    For now as much as I hate to say it, they are legal. But they dont always follow all the rules. If you see someone put a net within 300 yards of a creek call the game warden. If you see them put a gill or trammel net in and leave it unattended, call a game warden. By law we cannot interfere with their legal harvest of any fish. But if we see them breaking the law we can sure turn them in. For now at least that is all we can legally do. Dont get yourself put in jail over it. It will accomplish nothing. Their rule are in the wildlife code that is available to all of us. Study them and dont be afraid to call in on them.