I saw one!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SweetSymphony672, May 17, 2009.

1. SweetSymphony672

SweetSymphony672 New Member

State:
    England
    I saw a tornado last night!!!!!

I finally forfilled my goal of seeing one!!!
    In England there has been really bad wind and rain, I was on the road last night when I look out of my window and there it was!
    It was a few miles away and it only last a couple of seconds but phwoar was it awesome !!! :big_smile:

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Awesome is the word. Nature at its worst shows us how weak and
    powerless we really are. LOL

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to BOC.

I wasn't aware that even had tornado's in England.

I've lived most all my life in the tornado alley but have never seen one. I count that as being lucky. :wink:
    Saw my first water spout out from Mexico this past March. It was several miles away.

4. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Thats awsome I also didnt think England had them.I live in tornado alley and have never seen one here though I'm sure one went over me once from the damage.Most of ours seem to come at night and with the hail and rain you cant see them.I did see one water spout off the Florida coast one time while I was anchored and it was only 1/4 mile away.That was a little scary.

5. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    Well when are going to become a storm chaser? lol I know we talked about you wanting to see a tornado a while back, I glad you got to see one of your dreams, hope many more of your dreams come true as well, Jeff

6. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey you stay away from those things....have you ever watched the wizard of OZ? You will be seeing "Little people of England", I think that is the politically correct way of saying it now, if you get to close.

They are awesome to watch at a distance, but very destructive. I use to spot them for the area I was in. If you are close enough to see one you need to find shelter, immediately.

How ya been havent saw you on here in awhile? School going OK?

7. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I've seen 8 or 10 water spouts...a few funnel clouds over land...but never have SEEN a tornado. But I know I was close to one once in Japan. Ice cold downpour & wind that blows down. Found out later that it touched down about 150 yards away from where we were. We were outside when it happened too...it was some pretty scary stuff. During the downpour we only had about 10 feet of visibility and it was daytime. Ever since then I've been pretty scared of tornados and take the watches & warnings pretty seriously.

BUT, I am glad that you got to see one!! :smile2:

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd rather keep seeing them in my dreams. I've been through 2 of them and never seen one. They both were at night. Seeing one from a distance is cool, But when it's going through your yard it's not very interesting at all.

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Well Jen, can't say I know too much about the weather in the British Isles. I was in Scotland ('79) and there was ONE thunderstorm. EVERYONE (nationals) totally freaked OUT!!! It was amusing to me at the time, 'cause I had never seen folks have such a FIT about a summer thunderstorm!

Now as for tornadoes, I know one of your dreams is to be a meteorologist. Glad you got to see one, Miss Stormchaser. I think I'll just stay inside here in NC, and hope the other folks on the BOC do not get hurt. :wink:

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    We used to get a bunch of tornados in Indiana when I was younger.

Does anyone ever remember the "Tornado Drill" in school?

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Pretty cool that you got to witness a Tornado!! Myself included, I didn't realize England got Tornados. I've seen 4 tornados so far and believe me, it puts the fear of GOD in you, especially when there close!! Yeah! I would like to be a Storm Chaser. I think it would be a rush of a job!!

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Does anyone ever remember the "Tornado Drill" in school?

Yes!! Stand on top of the highest structure and watch it come!! Or is it put your head between your legs and kiss your a$$ goodbye? HEH!! Just kidding!!

13. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    LOL! Yeah we have to do them regularly, and now we take them in the hall, and sit against the walls.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ....how many of you all remember the tornada outbreak of 1974 when there were over a hundred tornadas verified?

http://www.april31974.com/

I remember it was light mostly that night because of the near non-stop lightning; and that was how I was able to see a funnel cloud that night, because of the lightning. There were a lot of folks that were hurt or killed that night. I seen hail the size of golf balls and.......well, I could go on and on about the events of that night. I'll never forget it.

15. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Ok All:

We also had one in the Kings-Heath area of Birmingham on July 29th, 2005 which caused FAR more damage but it didn't receive much publicity though 'cos the country was still reeling from the July 7th London-Transport attacks three weeks previously.

Kings Heath Tornado - (29/07/05)
    [youtubevid]_dxtQYnfo5c[/youtubevid]