I put a live well in my trunk of my car...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by dixiedrifter, Apr 26, 2006.

1. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have found out that below Pickwick Dam right next to the catwalk there is slack area where catfish build up. There arent any big ones there, just "dinks" in the 8-12" range, but a LOT of them. The biggest of the lot might make a whole fry, but for the most part they are pretty much useless for consumption.

The other night an idea hit me. What if I were to take the dinky catfish that are caught and normally thrown back and put them in the pond unharmed behind the house to grow out?

So it a plan was born. I went to walmart, got a 15 gallon Sterlite container, some Start Right, ammonia absorbtion pillows, and then threw my deep cycle battery and aerator in the trunk and off to the river I went around dark.

I ended bringing home 11 channels and 1 blue dink which were very much alive and kicking after spending 5 hours in the live well and surprisingly didn't get that much water in the trunk.

Once I got them home I did a series of water changes over a period of 30 mins or so and then turned them loose.

I figure if I keep it up, after a few more trips this spring I will have my pond re-stocked and in about another year or so some nice filet sized fish.

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    sounds like a good project, hope you get your pond stocked real soon. How is the food supply in the pond? Is there enough bait fish there to support the new fish.

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was thinking of doing the same thing only with deer. do you think the state would allow me ?

4. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There should be for now. I will probably do some supplimental feeding later on.

5. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Possibly. But I think there would be some technical problems.

How do you plan on keeping them from drowning and where are you going to find a live well big enough to put a deer in?

If you can overcome those technical difficulties I would imagine the state would be more than happy to let you restock your pond with deer. :p

6. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Very funny!...LOL

7. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I was thinking the same thing, but worry about length limits. Many of our waters have minimum length. Dont want a ticket to spoil a trip.

8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Good idea , but check your local laws about moving fish from one place to another. Hate to see you paying out money that would be spent on fishing equipment.

9. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    Great idea!!! You have to appreciate some of the things us fishing people can imgaine up LOL

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    LOL, did the thought "You might be a redneck if...." occur to anyone? LOL Sounds like a good idea. I don't the law here in TN says anything about what you're doing, but I might make a call and find out for sure first. Especially since the TWRA guys always seem to be below the dam there.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have put Channel & Blue cats together to raise in a small pond.The pond was fed by a flowing well,so the water was crystal clear.I had a low level light for bugs,and catfish chow for feed.The Blue cats with their wide mouth,consistently killed the Channels and smaller Blues by trying to swallow them,and then spitting them out,when they could not get them down.Time and again this happened.I would not stock Blues with anything that I did not want killed.Peewee-williams

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I tried stocking deer once. even tied em to the trees so they dont run off and get shot by someone else on opening day. FOr sum reason, the Game Commission didnt like it much. I wonder why?

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thats too funny. LMAO
    ------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like a plan too me. Hope it works out.
    -------------------------------------------------

Personally, I like using the redneck swimming pool ideal. Plastic liner in truck bed filled with water. It can be used for swimming and live well. Works good with 8' bed and holds more fish and people. :cool:

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    oh, memories... such memories. Back in '69 when I was on recruiting duty for the US Army, stationed in Altus, OK. The Distict Commander ( a Major) and the Command Sergeant Major had been looking for him for days...he wasn't in office as he was supposed to be, he hadn't been to the county seats checking with the draft board as he was supposed to be... he had physically vanished. They were setting in a cafe having a coffee break when a deputy sheriff came in and struck up a converstation with them... during the course of the talk, it came out that the local recruiter worked for these two distinguished persons...so the deputy blurted out the recruiter was at the dam of Liberty Lake fishing.... Here they go, sure enough, they found the official 1965 Plymouth Valiant assigned to the sergeant at the dam with the trunk open. They walked up to the car and the spare tire was in the back seat. He had sealed the spare tire well and now had an oxygen pump and minnows in the tire well. Needless to say, some brown stuff hit the fan... real a__ chewing...but the Major got to laughing so hard he didn't courts-martial or give the sergeant an Article 15. I wonder if your any relation to the poor sergeant. lol

15. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Great idea, my dad and myself have been trying to draw up a plan to trasnport some catfish of that size to a creek that we like to fish that has been pretty much fished out of its one decent catfish population. We have a spot much like what you describe and we have been trying to think of some sort of live well we could put in the back of his truck to take them from the spot to the creek and try and replenish some of the population in it. We'll have to give it a try.

16. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    you stock a pond with fish, you stock the freezer with deer . i prefer the young ,tender, hornless variety.

17. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    check the fishing regs. in indiana, we are not supposed to do this anymore. i don't like the reg. but better safe than sorry. they will confiscate fishing gear ,transportation vehicle , boat or anything else of value. then fine you.

18. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    DNR used to stock ponds for people, but you had let anyone that wanted to fish the pond. now they charge to stockwith fish. i tried to get them to stock my place with BIG BUCK deer but yhey declined my offer care and feeding. it is also against the law to feeed deer . they call it baiting. but the deer can eat all of your garden and they don't call it crop deprivation .just don't seem right.

19. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I tried to hint that it might noe be allowed, but I did see how it was funny. it is even more funny that you though I would put deer in a pool.

I didn't say anything about a pool. you said behind the house.

Oh well, it was funny.

I think you have a good idea but it may not be legal.

20. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I tried to hint that it might not be allowed, but I did see how it was funny. it is even more funny that you though I would put deer in a pool.

I didn't say anything about a pool. you said behind the house.

Oh well, it was funny.

I think you have a good idea but it may not be legal.