I pulled a Teays today...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Salmonid, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    :embarassed: this morning, headed out with Mellon ( each in our own boats) to the GMR, on the water by 6:30am, quickly landed a "softshell" ( number 15 for the year) and had a huge shad head out with the flattie rod, meanwhile Mellon is a hundred yards away and lands a nice 5 lb channel, then I get a great hit on the shad head, but missed him because he came straight towards me ( next time) so after an hour, me and Bryan decide to head on upstream to another spot, he pulls anchor, heads on past me as Im reeeling in the lines and putting the rods in the rod holders and then I start to pul anchor and as the boat is drifting back towards shore, I star tthe engine and start heading out by making a left turn to get away from the bank, turns out the flattie rod was in the back corner rod holder and as I pulled out,I heard a splash and turned around just in time to see a long line of bubbles, Oh Crap!!! ther egoes the rod!!! it caught on a tree branch and quickly ended up on the bottom of 9 ft of water so I circle around while quickly placing exactly where it happened and anchored up trying to snag it with another rod. Now let me explain, this is a Quantum Big Cat rod with one of my Abu 6500 Trophy series reels and loaded with new Big Game 30 lb line so Im totaly deciding Ill stay there as long as it takes to snag the rod back. Well, after loosing about 15 hooks and at least that many 1 oz sinkers and 4 hrs to the minute, I got it back!!! I bet i threw across that spot 200 times, ( literally) in the meantime, Bryan had caught a few more channels and came back and cast with me for a while and then he left so it was a good hour after he left before I got it back. I felt totally wore out, and spent and figured after being on the water all morning and only fishing for 1 hr and a turtle under my belt, It was time to leave before anything else bad happened, but anyways, anyone else ever pull a stupid stunt like that??? Had I not found it today, i would have been back tomorrow for as long as it took...with goggles and some diving friends!!
    Oh well, I was pleased with my catch today and Il leave it at that!!

Salmonid

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Perhaps I should have titled this " Fishing Darwin Awards"
    so can anyone top my nomination?:tounge_out:

Salmonid

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Atleast it came back home to ya .

4. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Im glad you got your setup up back. You would have been out some serious money. Is you reel still working fine?

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah, 4 hrs in the septic sludge gave the whole outfit a nasty smell and grease like covering and Im letting the reel air dry now, pulled the side panels and tomorrow will relube it up. It was not one of my better moves..and a lucky lesson learned for all. This particular tree limb has "almost" got me once or twice already so next time Im there, Ill bring the saws...:roll_eyes:
    Salmonid

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    You did not pull a Tea, you got your combo back. LMAO

Glad ya got it bro.

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I cant beat that one Mark, but im sure glad you got your reel back.

8. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey Mark glad to hear ya go it,now what about the saw,Lol.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Before the days that Bass Boats and trolling motors were popular,I use to hire out to paddle people who cast for Bass or Bream.Many of these people were in the habit of removing anything that they choose if they considered it in their way.I think that we all did it without thought.I know that I did.A stranger casting out of another boat cast into a low limb that stuck well out into the river.After he removed his lure,he preceded to take a hatchet to the limb.A elderly gentlemen hollered at him,and ASKED him "please don;t cut the limb as I tie up to it to fish".The reply that he got was "find another limb".All fishermen and hunters found a locked cable across the access road to the landing the next morning.The elderly war vet who had the use of one arm and found the use of a anchor difficult was also the owner of the landing and woods on both sides of the river for a long way in either direction.His family had shared it with the public for generations.I think that it has been leased to a private club ever since.I once used a anchor that weighed 47 lbs.with up to 600 ft. of rope.My last years were spent fishing where I could tie up as I found the use of a anchor extremely difficult.Please carefully consider the removal of anything that others may find useful or need to fish.I am the first to agree that many such can be a danger to all.Most are just a inconvenience to us.Thanks,peewee.

10. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Really Glad That You Got Your Rod Back. Haven't Had Anything Like That Happen To Me.

11. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Pee Wee, its a good point and I wont saw the limb, I usually am a better caster then most so I always leave obstructions in the water since I normally can get to them while most others can not. The limb has no real use, you would have to see it to understand what im talking about but if I ever get the saw out down there, I won mess with little limbs, Im gonna drop a few of the big cootonwoods with 1/2" cables on them to keep them along the bank on top of the under cut rip rap there to help the flatties out.:wink: the spot is right along a major road so its owned by the local watershed ( Miami Conservancy District)

It is a good point though and most limbs around where i fish have all been pruned out to just out of reach anyways.

Salmonid

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Glad to hear you got your combo back and no major damage down.Just a little eggo hurt.Good point from PeeWee on the limb cutting. aslo I think it is illegal to cut stuff that belongs to the government.They don't seem too have a sense of humor.Known people to get into trouble for such things. Don't you be one of them.Just consider it a lesson learned. GOD BLESS BE SAFE!!

13. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Nearly all of my post are when someone else's post strikes a memory.That is what happened here.I did not mean it directed at you or any one.I use to volunteer and cut canoe trails in the Okefenokee Swamp until I had a heart attack.I have cut many limbs out of the Ogeechee river in narrow places with swift currents that I thought posed a danger,I also have trimmed to hang bush lines.You are the best judge in your situation as you well know.I did not mean to imply different.Your post just revived a lost memory.I don;t do very good at thinking something out and posting.When a memory is triggered it just comes at times.Thanks,peewee-williams

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Please let us know what you did,what you found and how you took care of it when you clean and lube your reel.I am proud you got it back and we can all learn some more from it.Thanks,peewee-williams