I Practiced making a set today

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by field989, Aug 2, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i was thinking and i thought that i should practice making/ bedding a trap and i was using a sleepy creek #11 double longspring foot hold trap

i got it bedded and everything twice and i used a coffey filter for a pancover and it worked out nicely

but i do have a few questions
    #1 do u stake the trap Directly bleow the trap
    or do u stake it away from the trap (as i am suspecting)
    #2 it seemed like when i was TRYING to set off the trap with a stick i had to do some searching and when i would try some where the dirt would be pushed down should i make it where the dirt does not do this except on the trap pan?

but at least i got some experience in setting a trap

thanks

Jeff

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    staking under or to the side is your choice ,in real rocky ground I stake to side, I can move it around so i can get i down,
    practice, making your pan a little lower than the dirt on your jaws, like put 1.5 inches on jaws, and 1/2 inch of dirt on pan, will look like bowel, most critters will put their foot in the low spot , the amount of dirt you put over the trap is your option, you just want to hide the trap, I just use that amount as a scale to go by, if you can get the book, by Charles dobbins on dirt hole sets.
    punch in dobbins and trap, or trapperman,
    I know you would enjoy, reading it.
    Jim

3. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    You want to stake you trap under the loose jaw to make your trap as solid as you can so that nothing moves no matter where the fox or coyote steps. I don't use pan covers, I modify my pans by making them smaller and cutting the notch down and square it up. I also square the end of the dog so it just fits in the notch on the pan. That way if it moves it will go off and you only need to cover the trap with enough dirt to hide it and you want to keep everything level with no mound or depression,just blend the set in with the surrounding ground. As far as stepping in the right place just offset your trap a few inches to the left or right of the dirthole or from the backing on a flat set or urnine post set. The main thing is you want everything to look natural. The book by Charles Dobbins is a good book to study, I knew him well along with some others that have good books on the subject. I like to see new trappers getting started so may all your traps be full.

4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i am going to be trapping coon and muskrat this year

since i am a beginner

this will be my first year

Jeff

5. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i have started to reply to this your post three times Jeff, and I give up. You are from IN and I don't know a thing about trapping your part of the world. I was wondering why in the world you would make a dirt hole for a coon, then I thought about where you live. Here in Louisiana it never freezes up or if it does, it is for a short peroid of time. I catch coons on dry land, but mainly in killer. I just started doing that last year after watching Eric make killer land set. I have always water trapped for coons. I use very little to no cover as the trap is under water and last year I went to a drowner system which worked really well. Sorry, I just don't figure I can add anything that will help.

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    ok i did it again this mornin and i took some pictured this time lol

the first one is where i bedded it
    the second one is where it was finished
    the third one i had the chain moer visible so u could tell where it was lol

i even lost track of where the trap was... lol

but if/ when i land trap this year i will proally use a coffee filter for a pan cover seemed to work just fine.... the trap fired VERY fast

one thing i noticed is that if i do make a dirthole set for them i will need a bit more dirt maybe lol

but i dont know so here are the pics

hey its alright cut. no problem

Jeff

Attached Files:

7. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jim, and John nailed it down good. Michael, when you run a canine line, you will see that dry land coons are also attracted to your baits, and lures. They are nosey, curious critters. I was taught by my grandpa to wire a shiny piece of metal to the pan, and place it in a few inches of water where you find sign the are searching for food. You can use the shiny side of aluminum foil, just have to replace it every catch, and a thief will find it easily so keep this in mind if you try it. Set it with a light trigger. A little fish or crawdad oil near it helps. We had a flash freeze back in 78 down here, and I had traps in the creek set for coon. Every coon was froze to death, and I went in by light 1 hour before daylight. I have never had that happen before, or since, down here in these parts.

8. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    THATS ANOTHER THING I AM WANTING TO DO

get somethin shiny and put it on the trap pan

i do know that coon are VERY curious and i definately want to try this and another set out where u stick a 12-14" piece of 2 inch PVC pipe in the creek bank and under that put a trap bedded on the bottom of the creek right infront of the pipe and put your bait or whatever in the pipe and a coon will come and check it out

just gotta go out and see what works

Jeff

9. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    These days, if I want to catch coon in water, I will usually poke a hole about 6-7 inches deep in a bank, put the trap under it where the coon has to step on the pan while getting the bait. Make sure the trap is not tippy., put it in firm. Put some bait in the hole, squirt out a little fish oil around the outside, and go the the next set. I don't knock the pvc pipe thing, even though I tried it, I only had limited success. Don't under estimate his nose. Putting the trap where they travel is also important because of wind variations which come into play. This type set is also less likely to be noticed by a trap thief. I once made a few sets on some property a guy gave me permission on, he however forgot to mention that he gave permission to some coon hunters also. Their dogs caught two of my coons in the traps. I found out who was hunting there, I knew them from when I ran dogs, and I got my traps back. Just didn't set them there anymore. Jack.

10. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jeff- lol, here's my "disclaimer".....my way isn't the only way, just the way I do it.

I stake mine directly in the center of the trapbed. Staking to the side will leave you burying your chain, unless trapping in snow.

Try & dig your bed where the trap will lay level in it, it'll get easier the more you practice. I'll pack the dirt around the jaws, and if need be add alittle dirt under the loose jaw to stabilize it. On my Coyote traps I'll lay the shock spring under the loose jaw. Like John mentioned, be sure your trap isn't tippy or wobbly. You can check it by carefully trying to wobble it side to side. You don't need to worry about the dirt around the pan. Some trappers don't use pancovers, but instead use whats called a "Trappers Cap", by fitting it over the pan & packing dirt around it, it prevents the trap from firing while doing this. Here's one I'd made, and the notch you see in it fits over the dog:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/traps/Trapcap.jpg

The set Jim mentioned is called a "step-down" set, simply because (as he mentioned) the pan sets slightly lower than the surrounding area.

John also gave you some very good advice. And though we can do things differently, we end-up with the same results ( a stable trap).

Michael- lol, we never know what the weather will do here either, but we have spells when it is well below (as in 10-30*) zero. It can freeze your sets in overnight. Also, try a few dryland coon sets this year & see if you catch a few bigger coon now & then.

lol, back to Jeff- looking at your pics, I'd say you did a real good job! I'll make a couple of suggestions, and they may be wrong, simply pics don't always show things as "real". It looks like your pan may be a bit high. If you see the notch shaped like a "U" in the rear of the pan, where the dog fits under the pan, you want the end of the dog in this area, and more closer to the end, (again as was mentioned earlier) so your pan doesn't have to travel (drop) very far inorder to fire the trap. Also, after bedding your trap solidly, raise the loose jaw & insert your pancover (I use coffee filters sometimes too)under the loose jaw & over the top of the fixed-jaw, then lower the loose jaw to pin your pancover to the ground. This will help hold it inplace until you get it covered...lol, which helps on a windy day.

I don't think you have a dirt sifter yet. This gives you a place to put the dirt you removed from the trapbed, and allows you to sift-out the larger clods of dirt or rocks which could possibly delay the firing trap just long enough to allow the animal to escape. After sifting dirt over a trap, it's usually mounded. I use a new paintbrush (that is stored in a baggie) to level-out & smooth the set. You can use a dirtclod or 2 as "guiding" to prevent the animal from stepping on the dog, or in a fashion to help direct his foot towards the pan. Personally, I don't use alot of guiding.

Jack- It looked like that here last season, but distemper was killing them (that ought to make PETA happy :roll_eyes: ), I counted 8 dead ones along 1/2 mile of ditch. Been meaning to ask what you're getting ready to use that snarepole on in your pic?

Jeff, learn to consistently make solid, well-made sets. It's easy to want to try 100 different "tricks", and because of that easy to lose focus....basics first, then variations.

Smitty

11. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Listen close to these guys, they have wisdom bought from experience, and don't mind sharing it with someone trying to do it the right way. Smitty, the picture in my avatar is probably 10 years old or better. I had a nice grey resting calmly at my feet, just out of the pic, when my son enlarged it for the site, it cut out the fox. I was going to use one with a yote, but I figured that folks would wonder which one of us was Jack.

12. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have caught mean coons on a land line for cats and fox, but I have never made a dry land line just for coons. I want to commend Jeff on a good looking set. From what I can see it level and natural. These are the two main things I was taught to do for land trapping. Make the set level, with nothing out of the ordinary.

I personal use two different covers. One is a screen cover, home made out of screen you get at WalMart. I make them to just fit the jaws of the trap. The other cover is a underall. I will put and underall under the pan and then pack the dirt inside the jaws and out side the jaws, up to the level of the jaws. I will then put loose dirt over the jaws and pan. I prefer this cover as it just looks better to me. Did what I just said make any sense to any of yall, or am I just rambling?

13. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jeff if you will pm me with your snail mail addres, I have a Charles Dobbins book I will give you to help get you started. Smitty, the picture in my avatar, there is a grey fox just in front of me in a 1 1/2 coil, laying there relaxed looking around. Perfect pad catch, no damage. Jack.

14. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i got a few books....

one from the NTA and one from tom miranda and one from a hawbaker(i forget the first name)