I never thought I'd see the day!

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by ratkinson, Aug 24, 2008.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Alright it is time for another question from you agriculturally challenged brother. (and spelling challenged too) Why pray tell are my summer squash plants growing beautifully, blooming beautifully, and then the blooms are falling off and not a single squash in the entire patch. These are normally the easiest plants to grow. In fact my 5 year old nephew grows some beauties. I planted enough to be burried in squash, and, give some to the neighbors. I ran into one gent who is having the same problem. I have no idea this is the first time I've ever had a problem with any squash type plant. It isa picture perfect patch sans the fruit of my labor.

Fighting back the tears,
    Richard (LOL)

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thats a new one on me brother

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Here I was all excited that someonehad answered me..........LOL
    I'm at a loss, been growing squash for over 30 years and never seen this.

Richard

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I Googled "squash blossom drop", and came up with this:
    http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/sqblossomdrop.html
    There's lots of other squash blossom drop info at the Google "squash blossom drop" query. Hope you figure it out. It's an enigma to me.
    BB in SC

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Richard, I'm not even in the same part of the country as you, & I ran into the same problem. I haven't tried growing anything like that in years, so I thought I'd try it this year. My plants were beautiful, green & bloomed like crazy; then the little squash would rot off when they were about 2inches long. Drove me crazy! I finally just pulled the plants up. A friend of mine said she talked to "some old men" at the feed store, & they told her that on a Leap Year, if you plant to early, your plants don't produce as well, if at all. She planted her seeds late in May, which for here is really late, & hers are making like crazy. Maybe there's something to this "old man" wisdom??

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It is very possible that you have too much water on your garden!!

7. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    It sounds like the stink bug has stung them

8. Geek13

Geek13 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Yeah stink bugs are a big killer of squash plants. Also for those that don't know, squash plants produce male and female flowers and the males flowers will fall off after a few days with no squash produced.