I Need Your Opinions About On Board Chargers

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Wabash River Bear, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have found a couple of 3 bank onboard battery chargers/maintainers in my price range and want to know if any of you have had some experience with either of them or will look at the specs and give me your opinions.
    I'm looking at the Minn Kota MK315, and the Bass Pro XPS i 5/5/5, made by ProMariner. I am really leaning toward the Bass Pro/ProMariner XPS model because of its "transfer on demand" capability. Other than that, they seem to be pretty much similar by specs and price.
    I would appreciate the help, thanks. Barry

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I am a big fan of the Dual Pro brand chargers and especially the Xtreme series of chargers. It will transfer charge from the the motors charging system to the accessory batteries once the starting batter has reached full charge. I have one of the three bank pro series xtreme charges on my Tracker and I absolutely would not what any other charger.

I was told to stay away from the Bass Pro brand charges from a pretty knowledgeable salesman at Bass Pro in Charlotte, NC. He said they had a very high return (defective) rate on there store brand. This was about a year to 18 months ago. Things may have changed since then. I think the BP brand charger was made by Pro Mariner at the time but may be mistaken.:confused2: I have never had any experience with the MinnKota chargers.
    My new boat will be getting another of the Dual Pro Xtreme chargers when it gets closer to being finished. Worth the extra $ in my eyes. Plus they have the best customer service I have ever seen. I had a self inflected problem (did not know that at the time) and Dual Pro sent me a new charger and a pre-paid box for me to return the original charger to them. I did not even have to make a return trip to the store.:cool2: The service tech spent hours on the phone with me tracking down my problem. I had power crossing from the start battery to the accessory batteries and that is an big NO-NO with the Extreme series chargers.
    For the money I have had pretty good luck with Guest brand chargers in the past. I would still rather have a Dual Pro. You can buy from them direct and may even get a better price if you ask.:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::big_smile:
    That is my 2 cents
    David

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Only experience I've have is with a Quest going on 4 years, been plugged in most all time except when I use the boat. No problems.

4. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ive had the bass pro 2 bank on my boat for 4 years now and not a bit of problem. matched with a gell battery i can pull the pontoon around with trolling motor all day(with radio, livewell ect.) plug in tonight and go all day again.

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i like my minn kota it is a 3 bank and works well

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have the minn kota mk-315. Never had any problems, works great.

mike

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bass Pro 2 bank works great for me. I don't worry about the starting battery, but I use it on my trolling batteries. Those batteries are 5 years old and still going strong. I think the onboard charger may have something to do with that, by keeping them at full charge most of the time.

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well Dave, you may be right about the BassPro XPS made by ProMariner. I went online and read several reviews. I was shocked at the amount of failures being reported. Not only charger failures, but battery damage caused by the chargers. Some guys have had as many as 5 or 6 replacements before the 2 yr. warranty was up. They complaints far outweighed the favorable reviews. I think I'm gonna steer clear of this one. It sounds like those of you who have a working XPS and havent had problems are lucky considering what I have read.
    I also checked reviews on the Minn Kota's. Seems people are reporting that they arent fully charging batteries, and that they have a heat problem. Again, more complaints than raves. I think I'm gonna pass on this one as well.
    After reading the reviews on Dual Pro's Three Bank Pro SE chargers and checking out their web site, although they are about $100.00 more than the others I was looking at, I'm pretty much sold. Lots of rave reviews, very few complaints. I think I'll save up a little more cash and go for the Dual Pro model.
    I want to thank you all for giving me your two cents worth. Thats one of the things I love about the B.O.C., lots of experience out there to share. Keep on posting, someone may have an idea or product I havent thought of yet.
    Thanks again, Barry

9. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    The xtreme feature is also worth considering. It will increase you accessory battery power for those long periods on the water. After just a couple of minutes of run time mine switches over from the start battery and starts charging the accessory batteries. Very handy for those all night or day trips where you might need a little extra power and you can get it will moving locations. I think I read some where that it will increase you accessory battery power by over 30% but i think it is better than that %.
    Keep us posted on what you decided on and how it works out for you.:big_smile:

Thanks,
    David

10. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I've had the Dual Pro SE 2 bank for 2 years and its still going strong, and I run in salt and freshwater.

11. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    I am getting the onboard that takes the extra juice from the cranking battery and transfers to the other.... I have heard good reviews and some of the pros are switching to them...

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have had trouble with the dual pros for some reason but after reading this thread i will be calling them folks. i think mine is a dual pro but its got lunds name on it. i had it changed by the dealership after about a year and now its messing up again. mines a se model 3 banks but the lights just blink on two of the banks with new batteries. my dad bought one with his boat too and he hasnt had any troubles with his. i was thinking about going to the minn kota version but maybe i need to call dual pro first. thanks for this post.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I thought the one in the Lund looked like the Dual Pro. but man they charge extra for it in the boat.If you can believe it $600 for it .
    Pete

14. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    They took great care of me when I had my brain fart. They did not even ask for proof of purchase. They were just concerned with taking care on me and getting me a replacement charger. Turned out there was nothing wrong with the first charger, just my wiring problem.:sad2:

Pete, I believe that would be one option I would be leaving off at the dealership and adding myself when I got the boat. I am all for a fair profit but almost double is a bit more that fair profit.:angry:

15. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well pete im not sure they are dual pro but it sure looks close to me and now you too. i priced a dual pro at bps that looks just like mine at 289.00.

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes I know it looks like one. And for that Price I think I can run the wires and stuff.
    Also the one it looks like may be the $500 one? Think so? Not. LOL
    Pete

17. sneezer

sneezer New Member

State:
    pa.
    I have a Minn Kota 2 bank and like it.
    I think a lot of the problem with them not charging fully is that they show fully charged when in fact they are only 80% charged when the light goes on. You must still let them plugged in for the full amount of time the directions say you need to. And this all depends on the model charger you have.

18. 07Fatboy

07Fatboy New Member

State:
    KY
    I've been using a Bass Pro brand 2 bank charger for 4 years on my gel deep cycles and it's worked like a charm.

19. Goofy

Goofy Member

State:
    Moline, Illinois
    Thanks Guys! I am in the process of adding a system on my Targa. Great information and reccomendations. Never fails that you guys speak out both Pro's and Con's on most subjects. Getting closer haven't decided yet.