I need your expert advice

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Mr Twister, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    I am taking a couple of the guys in my youth group fishing for the first time tonight. I want it to be a good experience, so where should I take them for the best chance to get into some good cats? We are in Raytown, and am willing to drive 30-45 min... Thanks for the quick response.

Eric

2. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I would take them up to the park where the Kaw and Mo river connect, bring some bluegill and some shad sides.

chris

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Sorry,I'm no expert so I can't help you.If your looking for just catching a lot of fish,I would target crappie,or try to get on a farm pond and use worms.Cats are transitioning now and is real hit or miss.Also,keep an eye on the weather,calling for T-storms tonight.But then again,we were supposed to get 12 inches of snow a few weeks ago:D :D

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would pack for severl species. That way if the cats arent biting you can hit the crappies, or God forbid bass. Best of luck to you all.

5. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    OK...thanks for all your help. I think we will just swing over to Jacamo. Water temps may be up a little in the creek arms and I caught me some gills to hopefully give more bait selection. Thanks for all your help

Eric

6. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Jacomo is great for channels. Chicken livers thrown towards the bank like bass fishing from a boat will produce at night. I used to fish it all the time when I lived up there. They might enjoy James A. Reed wildlife area since they keep those lakes stocked and some large Channels have come out of there over the years.(If its still open). See ya on the water!

7. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I would use worms just to catch something because you can a least catch bluegrills and some fun

8. SeaArk1

SeaArk1 New Member

State:
    Sedalia, Missouri
    BigMagic,

A few buddies and I have been thinking about heading to Jacomo some time this year. We have heard that they have a big average on channels. I heard they have a horsepower limit and you have to buy a permit? I have a 225 horse on my boat. Do you know anything about this?

Thanks

9. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Sorry 25hp is the max allowed and then only on a Pontoon.( or boat classified as such). A Jackson county permit is also required. Nearby Praire Lee Lake doesn't have a horsepower restriction and has some nice channels in it also, if its still there and still open.(still need a permit I think) Its been a long time but when I was a youngster we caught a lot of Channel cat out of those two lakes. See ya on the water!

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Prairie Lee Lake is still open but don't know much about the fishing there. My neighbor takes his family there from time to time looking for crappie. You'd probably do better on Blue Springs Lake for catfish.

Jacomo has some good spots to fish from the shore, at least until it gets hot and the moss takes over. Personally, I won't fish from the shore there as it seems to attract a pretty seedy element. I don't need to fish bad enough to risk a robbery or at minimum, a hassle from a bunch of loud drunks.

James A Reed wildlife area has several nice lakes with decent size channel catfish. The trick is finding the right place on the right lake at the right time of the year and the right time of the day.

The fee for a day-use permit on any of the Jackson County lakes is $17. The annual permit fee is based on the horsepower of your boat -- for a 225 hp bass boat, it's around $150 or so. Which makes it prohibitive unless that's the only place you're going to fish or you're going to use the lake a *lot*. And the horsepower limit on Jacomo is 25hp, though I don't think it's limited to pontoons only; I see a lot of 16 ft aluminum bass boats there with engines about that size.

11. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    You also might give Longview Lake a shot, its been years since I have been over that way so I dont know how much has changed. Just a thought.

Chris

12. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    No horsepower limit on Longview, this time of year should be good for staging crappie & bass or fish near the dam for channels. Just need the Jackson County daily permit which can be purchased at the marina. If I'm not mistaken, the marina opens at 6am. Fished there in late February or early March of 2005, froze my butt off, but still had a good time...Good luck