I need to get oil out of my castnets. Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Guthooked, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I keep my castnets in my pickup tool box. I had a quart of oil spill in the toolbox and it got all over my castnets. I soaked them for 30 minutes in a mixture of purple power degreaser and water 50/50 and it got the majority of it off. I am soaking them again right now and I am wondering if I could do something else to get the oil off of them. I don't believe that baitfish will taste too good with oil on them and it is not too good for the environment to use an oil soaked net. If I have to toss them I will but they were expensive.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Try soaking them in a heavy solution of Dawn with water. Never tried it but it may help some. Also it would be cheap enough to try.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    id try useing what they use to clean ducks and animal life during oil spills palmolive dish detergent then rinse thoroughly several times should do the trick

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I use Dawn Dish liquid to cut most oils.If that don;t work,try Simple Green.Now for the secret.Put the nets,water and detergent in a cooler.Put the cooler in the back of your truck.The sun will heat it every day and the bouncing will agitate it.If needed,lock the cooler in the cab for security and stick it back in the bed when driving.You may have to keep changing the soap and water until clean.Do the same with clean water to rinse.Given time,this will clean most anything.You can also use any plastic jug large enough to do this.Just make sure it is only 1/2 full for expansion.You can normally get a knot out of a chain by letting it bounce around in the back of a pickup,be it small jewelry to large tow chain.You have to put small chain,necklaces and such in a plastic jar,box or such where it won;t blow,bounce or fall out through the gap under the tailgate.You can "Duct Tape"the gap.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    What PeeWee said, and then after rinsing, soak overnight in some water with fabric softener. Should be better than new...